What's up with "penny pinching" travels?

ice_berg_ahead

... I'm slightly flummoxed by the statement that people have taken cruises simply because they were cheap. Can't imagine a situation where we would take a cruise whose itinerary we didn't like :confused:
I'm not sure "didn't like" is quite how we would say it. Rather, I think it is a matter that the itinerary didn't matter. I'm of two minds: Some cruises that we've taken were deliberate with regard to itinerary. We cruised the Nile to cruise the Nile. One of our Caribbean cruises was deliberately a cruise to those specific islands to do specifically the things we did there. Our upcoming Caribbean cruise falls into that category as well. These cruises were basically trips for which the transportation happened to be a ship. Our other cruises, including our cruises to the Bahamas, were just cruises-for-the-sake-of-cruising. We live near enough to the ports that we'll prefer cruising (as long as it is more affordable) than just traveling to a Caribbean destination and spending a week at a land-based resort. Edited by bUU

We are frugal cruisers and experienced world travelers, although we have just a few things that we insist upon. We have cruised in everything to a penthouse suite to an inside cabin and have come to the conclusion we don't particularly enjoy or appreciate things other consider essential. For example, the attention and added expense of a butler is wasted money. I don't need someone at my beck and call when my needs are minimal, and I don't need extra 3PM snacks delivered to my cabin. One Caribbean island starts to look the same as another, so spending money on many excursions is wasted money.

There are other things like alcohol that are of minimal importance to us because we rarely drink at home, so why would we want a drink package or even a daily glass of wine? We are also perfectly happy with the MDR food offerings. How wonderful to not cook, serve or clean!

There are some things that are priorities such as ensuite rooms in Europe and efficient transportation to the airport or port. As a person in my sixties, I only select souvenirs that I would REALLY appreciate and display or as tasteful gifts for others. That rules out almost anything from Mexico or the Caribbean.

I actually admire people who are frugal and can appreciate life without spending a lot of money.

Actually this is my philosophy as well

While I do not call myself frugal I do know where to spend money and where to save it

For example for 110e I recently had a private driver pick the 3 of us up at Naples train stain and deliver us at the front door of our hotel in the hills overlooking sorrento

I could have taken the train to sorrento from Naples and stood in the aisles guarding my luggage for 90 minutes then taken a taxi from sorrento up into the hills.

I probably would have saved 50e by doing that versus getting a private driver

I met a family of 5 a few days later that was still recovering from doing that it via train and taxi and swore never again

It was 110 e well spent and a no brainer decision for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We scrimp and save during our day to day activities at home where we are doing mundane and routine activities and not in some exotic place while surrounded by unlimited opportunities for experiences. Our vacations are infrequent and we will not "penny pinch" while on them. I read posts here from people who seem to brag about how little the spend on a cruise. They avoid paying for anything that isn't included in the base fare, seemingly making it a goal to have zero balance at the end. No sodas. No gourmet coffees. No alcohol. No specialty meals. No souvenirs. No excursions. No extras of any kind. Nothing! I could never travel that way.

wow, sodas on a cruise is something you want to spend money on because you are saving money all year long? You want to pay $2 per soda? Be my guest!

I'll get a 24 pack for $6.98 at home and enjoy it for much longer than you will enjoy 3 cans of soda during your cruise. We'll be just fine without soda for a week. It's bad for us anyway.

We don't need souvenirs - it's just a bunch of junk collecting dust. We do take photos instead.

No specialty restaurants needed - we very much enjoy MDR food and it's already paid for. I can go to a restaurant at home and pay for my food there.

We don't like coffee to begin with. Why would I want to pay for gourmet coffee?

We do enjoy BOG$1 hour on Princess, but getting older means that we can handle max 2 drinks per person (not so much because of money, but for example, I am on meds that prohibit alcohol).

Some people are recovering alcoholics and can't drink at all, so it's not because they are trying to save money on the cruise.

We do go on some excursions, but sometimes they either have an minimum age limit, weight limit or activity level limit.

Why would I want to pay $100 per person to go to the beach? I'll pay $20 for a taxi and it'll take all of us to the same beach.

We absolutely fly the day of the cruise. All of us work or go to school and we are limited to school breaks because of our kid. And this time I am paying for a cruise for 6, so you are right - I am trying to save money, because I am not rich, but I want to give our parents this one experience that they'd never had in their lives. But flying 6 people to the port and buying a cruise (and not Carnival for 3 days either) for a 7 night sailing is not cheap. I am not going to fly the day before and also pay for 3 rooms at the hotel - that would be sheer financial madness on my part.

To each his own. I am a frugal person, but I don't feed my family Ramen noodles all year long so that we could go to a specialty restaurant on the cruise once a year. Life is short and we prefer to live our life in the present, enjoying what we've earned every day, and not just on a cruise.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I'm not sure "didn't like" is quite how we would say it. Rather, I think it is a matter that the itinerary didn't matter. I'm of two minds: Some cruises that we've taken were deliberate with regard to itinerary. We cruised the Nile to cruise the Nile. One of our Caribbean cruises was deliberately a cruise to those specific islands to do specifically the things we did there. Our upcoming Caribbean cruise falls into that category as well. These cruises were basically trips for which the transportation happened to be a ship. Our other cruises, including our cruises to the Bahamas, were just cruises-for-the-sake-of-cruising. We live near enough to the ports that we'll prefer cruising (as long as it is more affordable) than just traveling to a Caribbean destination and spending a week at a land-based resort.

I agree with just about everything you say. I suspect that if we lived in the USA and close to a port we might take a cruise simply as a cruise. Not quite as easy here in the UK although still possible to visit France, Holland and Belgium as regular as a Caribbean cruise - just not as warm :D

I agree with just about everything you say. I suspect that if we lived in the USA and close to a port we might take a cruise simply as a cruise. Not quite as easy here in the UK although still possible to visit France, Holland and Belgium as regular as a Caribbean cruise - just not as warm :D

Of course - it makes sense to take advantage of convenient, nearby opportunities. We go into New York City fairly often - it is a an easy, 45 minute, $7.50 train trip. We do not do it just because it is cheap - but it is the kind of thing we would not do nearly as often if it required a lot more time and a lot more money

We would probably cruise more often if we lived near a port frequented by ships we enjoyed - but because cruising the way we want to involves a significant allocation of disposable time and income, it makes sense to be a bit choosy.

I think we live in an "instant gratification" nation. I know of a few people at work that whet on a really cheap carnival cruises because they got a great "deal". They stated that it was not the cruise they wanted but it was all they could afford at the time. So I wonder why not save for 3 years and then buy the vacation that you really want. What's the point of getting a cheap deal if its not what you want??

It's a holiday. I guess it's what's a priority. I know I've done a couple of holidays that weren't at the top or near the top of my list but sometimes you just need to get away

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

Of course - it makes sense to take advantage of convenient, nearby opportunities. We go into New York City fairly often - it is a an easy, 45 minute, $7.50 train trip. We do not do it just because it is cheap - but it is the kind of thing we would not do nearly as often if it required a lot more time and a lot more money

We would probably cruise more often if we lived near a port frequented by ships we enjoyed - but because cruising the way we want to involves a significant allocation of disposable time and income, it makes sense to be a bit choosy.

Except that it's getting harder to find a seat facing forward. ;).

"i can't believe this thread even exists."

I could say this about many of the threads on CC. It's called conversation. I guess if people can spend their money how they want, I can discuss what I want.

\

Edited by ice_berg_ahead
wrong format

There's a flip side to this discussion. Just as the OP thinks people are nuts for not opting for cruise add-ons, there are plenty of cruisers that think paying for upgrades makes no sense. Examples: Why pay for a balcony when all you do in your room is sleep there, why pay for a restaurant when the MDR is included, why pay for excursions when they are perfectly happy taking a cab to the beach. These people are laughing at the big spenders for "wasting" money. No right or wrong, just personal style.

I always buy the inside cabin when I cruise as it’s just aplace for your luggage. I don’t alwaysuse the ships excursion unless I am in a place like Russia where it was justeasier (no visa). What I am talkingabout are the people that are content with booking a trip to wherever (Australiafor example) and do absolutely nothing but just to say they have been to Australia. And YES there are people like that. To me it seems like a waste of resources toget to these places and just sit and stare when you can do that at home forfree. But each to their own andwhatever floats your boat.

Everyone makes personal decisions as to how to spend the money (s)he has, and different people make vastly different decisions. If I really want something, I will purchase it. However, I need to feel it is somewhat worth the price. In my opinion, the drink package is not worth the cost to me, for example, although I do buy a few drinks on the ship. I don't always go for the cheapest thing I can, but I hate to feel ripped off. I will splurge on a spa treatment on a cruise fairly often. I am retired now, but worked hard for my money and simply don't want to throw it away.

Well put, and I agree with everything you said!

OK, let me point out a few of the ill considered examples you've made. It's insulting and ignorant to assume it's only about money.

-Flying in the same day - not everyone is retired or has the luxury of extensive vacation time. Some people have obligations that can't be shrugged off. Yes, flying or driving into the embarkation port is ideal, but not always possible.

- Eating at gas stations. I'm going to assume you're talking about drivers here. If you've got a long days drive, why make it longer by a prolonged restaurant meal. We've taken a few driving trips where grabbing a sandwich and drink at a gas stop was all we wanted, and saved us an hour,. It's not always about the money. Heck, we've even (gasped) been known to pack a picnic lunch that we've eaten at a rest stop. Not to save money, but for the fresh air.

-not doing optional excursions. Why would I pay the exorbitant fees for ship excursions that are usually crowded with too many people? I can find my own excursion from a local provider that will not only be the same or similar, for a lower price, but I won't have to put up with 50 other people on a huge bus. Or I can just do my own thing. Go and spend a day at a fabulous beach or a favorite museum and do things at my own pace, not at one set to accommodate someone else. I'm spending my money on what I want to do, the way I want to do it.

Not everyone drinks alcohol; or they drink very little. Why buy a booze package that they will get little value from. And believe it or not, there actually are people who are completely content with the offerings in the MDR, and don't feel a need to dine in the specialty restaurants.

And there are also some people who have to scrimp and save for years just to take one cruise. And they still have to be careful with their spending once on board.

We feel privileged that we can travel frequently without having to "pinch pennies". But we certainly are not going to disparage those folks who are trying to make the best with what they have. What would you like to see - some kind of bank account scrutiny before someone is allowed to board? Frankly I find the whole tone of your post arrogant. Feel free to vacation in the manner you prefer. But extend the same courtesy to your fellow travellers. Not every experience is determined by the amount of money you spend on it.

I can speculate why some folks might be concerned. Just look at how cruising and Carnival itself has changed over the last 20 years. It is the economy-seeking traveler that has shaped the entry level Cruise Lines offered by the big Cruise Line corporations. It has prompted the unbundling of fares accompanied by the addition of surcharges and such. Now for many of us that results in a lower fare adjusted for inflation but of course for those who utilize the surcharged services results and higher costs. Now in order to get that same experience that these Cruise Lines offer 20 years ago you've got to go move upmarket. For people who have an affinity with a certain cruise line that may be something they're not happy about. One of the unshakable truths of the consumer Marketplace is that the more people who are just like you the better the marketplace is going to serve you.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We rarely have any 'extra' on our account except for wine with dinner. That and the autotips are usually it for us. With the various OBC (Future cruise credit, Shareholder, TA, Loyalty and others at times) we owe little or nothing at the end of the cruise. Full disclosure - we do take a number of private tours. Most arranged thru our roll call.

Except that it's getting harder to find a seat facing forward. ;).

Lol all too true

Fwiw I buy a 10 pass off peak ticket when I take the family and I love it when others say...oh I thought you had to buy individual tix for everyone?

Doesn't anyone know how to research and ask the proper questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always buy the inside cabin when I cruise as it’s just aplace for your luggage. I don’t alwaysuse the ships excursion unless I am in a place like Russia where it was justeasier (no visa). What I am talkingabout are the people that are content with booking a trip to wherever (Australiafor example) and do absolutely nothing but just to say they have been to Australia. And YES there are people like that. To me it seems like a waste of resources toget to these places and just sit and stare when you can do that at home forfree. But each to their own andwhatever floats your boat.

Come on man of all people I would have expected you to be staying in the owners suite based on the comment you made in your OP..."I'm a really cheap person in my regular life so that I can travel the world and splurge when over seas"!

I just want to start this thread by saying I am by NO means a rich person. FAR from it!!! But when I travel I want to get the most out of it! Not to say you have to spend $1,000's and some of the best sights are free. But I have seen/heard of many people trying to save money when they are traveling. Flying in on the same day as when a cruise leaves, eating only at food from a gas station, not doing any of the optional excursions on a group tour, etc.

I'm a really cheap person in my regular life so that I can travel the world and splurge when over seas! Doesn't seem to make sense to travel and THEN be cheap....hhhmmmm....

"He who comes back with the most money doesn't win, he who comes back with the most experiences win."

I cant even begin to imagine why you care. It is really quite simple:

It isn't a one-size-fits-all world.

It is a shame that some people can reach a point in life where they have the wherewithal to cruise but have not yet learned this essential constant of existence.

I agree. DH and I live pretty simply during the year, I watch for sales and use my credit card for everything to get points for flights. Once the cruise arrives, we enjoy it. We fly in the night before, have a great dinner and then enjoy the cruise and excursions...then we do it all over again! :)

One of the things that we need to keep in mind is that the general ethic is ever-changing. I think sometimes some people think that there's a single "common" sense and that it never changes, but that is as far from the truth is anything could be. There is very little sense that is shared by everyone, and differences between people are even more pronounced on matters of leisure and diversion. Beyond that things change from generation to generation. And that change is not just to the next generation but that change has impact on the previous generations that are still alive. A great example of this is how my late mother came to appreciate the music of my generation.

One of those changes that is percolating through our society right now is a movement away from focusing on the material and towards focusing on experiences instead. Perhaps this is some of what is behind the move away from formal dress codes (and really the acquisition and possession of formal wear in general). Regardless it certainly will have an impact on things like how much splurging people will do on vacation.

And I know that even though I'm part of the older generation I'm affected by it as well. Where before I might have focused a bit more on what car I was driving or what jewelry I had now none of that really matters to me at all and my focus is on what experiences I can enjoy in the time I have left. That prompts me to reserve a balcony cabin; it prompts me to choose a bit more of a deluxe itinerary and perhaps even more upscale excursions. I'll even look positively on the idea of economizing a bit in my day-to-day in order to be able to maximize the luxury that I can forward on vacation. The day-to-day routine is going to end in the back of my mind while my Fondest Memories are those of the special occasions I share with my family.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Interesting thread actually. I'm always trying to understand how other people think - knowing they more often than not think differently than I do.

Like the OP we're not wealthy - although that's subjective issue and I'm sure there are some who would think we are. We live in a modest house on a small lot and drive middle of the road cars. We are retired now, but we both worked hard to have a bit of a nest egg. We're not leaving anything behind [emoji12].

We treat ourselves well when we travel because it's something we looked forward to all our working lives. We traveled back then and were in between the penny pinchers and the spendthrifts. I'm sure there are many who would say we are wasting money. One of my aunts was always commenting to my mother about what we were spending on various things and my mother always said, "As long as they aren't asking me for money I don't care what they do with it.

I'm with those who say everyone is different with different priorities. As long as you're not asking me for money, I don't care how you spend it. [emoji12]

As for us, we'll be spoiling ourselves wherever we can!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK, let me point out a few of the ill considered examples you've made. It's insulting and ignorant to assume it's only about money.

-Flying in the same day - not everyone is retired or has the luxury of extensive vacation time. Some people have obligations that can't be shrugged off. Yes, flying or driving into the embarkation port is ideal, but not always possible.

- Eating at gas stations. I'm going to assume you're talking about drivers here. If you've got a long days drive, why make it longer by a prolonged restaurant meal. We've taken a few driving trips where grabbing a sandwich and drink at a gas stop was all we wanted, and saved us an hour,. It's not always about the money. Heck, we've even (gasped) been known to pack a picnic lunch that we've eaten at a rest stop. Not to save money, but for the fresh air.

-not doing optional excursions. Why would I pay the exorbitant fees for ship excursions that are usually crowded with too many people? I can find my own excursion from a local provider that will not only be the same or similar, for a lower price, but I won't have to put up with 50 other people on a huge bus. Or I can just do my own thing. Go and spend a day at a fabulous beach or a favorite museum and do things at my own pace, not at one set to accommodate someone else. I'm spending my money on what I want to do, the way I want to do it.

Not everyone drinks alcohol; or they drink very little. Why buy a booze package that they will get little value from. And believe it or not, there actually are people who are completely content with the offerings in the MDR, and don't feel a need to dine in the specialty restaurants.

And there are also some people who have to scrimp and save for years just to take one cruise. And they still have to be careful with their spending once on board.

We feel privileged that we can travel frequently without having to "pinch pennies". But we certainly are not going to disparage those folks who are trying to make the best with what they have. What would you like to see - some kind of bank account scrutiny before someone is allowed to board? Frankly I find the whole tone of your post arrogant. Feel free to vacation in the manner you prefer. But extend the same courtesy to your fellow travellers. Not every experience is determined by the amount of money you spend on it.

Thank you for posting a reasoned response. I was ready to post, but many of my points were included in yours.

The responses from everyone have been thought provoking. Here's another thought that applies to me: I actually enjoy being economical and find enjoyment from having a great experience at little to no cost. So, to know that I had a SENSATIONAL cruise to Europe for 14 nights in an inside cabin for $479 pp gives me great joy and pleasure! (and paid $426 for my flight home).

As for us, we'll be spoiling ourselves wherever we can!

To spoil yourself doesn't always have to cost more. We more or less never do tours with the cruise line, the reason is simple. We don't like the 50 passager buses where you follow a guide with a sign. To us spoiling ourselves is to take a cab our a minibus and see the same things, without the crowd.. We would do this even if it would cost us more, but we are lucky that it's always cheaper and the experince is better.