What's up with "penny pinching" travels?

ice_berg_ahead

I just want to start this thread by saying I am by NO means a rich person. FAR from it!!! But when I travel I want to get the most out of it! Not to say you have to spend $1,000's and some of the best sights are free. But I have seen/heard of many people trying to save money when they are traveling. Flying in on the same day as when a cruise leaves, eating only at food from a gas station, not doing any of the optional excursions on a group tour, etc.

I'm a really cheap person in my regular life so that I can travel the world and splurge when over seas! Doesn't seem to make sense to travel and THEN be cheap....hhhmmmm....

"He who comes back with the most money doesn't win, he who comes back with the most experiences win."

I just want to start this thread by saying I am by NO means a rich person. FAR from it!!! But when I travel I want to get the most out of it! Not to say you have to spend $1,000's and some of the best sights are free. But I have seen/heard of many people trying to save money when they are traveling. Flying in on the same day as when a cruise leaves, eating only at food from a gas station, not doing any of the optional excursions on a group tour, etc.

I'm a really cheap person in my regular life so that I can travel the world and splurge when over seas! Doesn't seem to make sense to travel and THEN be cheap....hhhmmmm....

"He who comes back with the most money doesn't win, he who comes back with the most experiences win."

Can't agree with you more. We scrimp and save during our day to day activities at home where we are doing mundane and routine activities and not in some exotic place while surrounded by unlimited opportunities for experiences. Our vacations are infrequent and we will not "penny pinch" while on them. I read posts here from people who seem to brag about how little the spend on a cruise. They avoid paying for anything that isn't included in the base fare, seemingly making it a goal to have zero balance at the end. No sodas. No gourmet coffees. No alcohol. No specialty meals. No souvenirs. No excursions. No extras of any kind. Nothing! I could never travel that way. We maximize the experiences we have, even if we have to spend a bit more money to do it. We budget so we can treat ourselves to all kinds of experiences beyond the very basic that comes with the base fare.

Life is too short go on vacations and always try to do it as cheaply as possible.

Like that advertising slogan from a few years ago: "Because I'm worth it"

Besides "you can't take it with you", I've also heard "if you don't spend it your kids will"! We like to think of ourselves as being frugal.

I think we live in an "instant gratification" nation. I know of a few people at work that whet on a really cheap carnival cruises because they got a great "deal". They stated that it was not the cruise they wanted but it was all they could afford at the time. So I wonder why not save for 3 years and then buy the vacation that you really want. What's the point of getting a cheap deal if its not what you want??

Everyone has different priorities. We cruise about 2 x a year, we always book a mini suite; we tip well and above the minimum; we bring our own wine on board and pay corking; we have decided to eat at the specialty restaurants on board (generally every night); we do our own tours in ports -always have except for a few cases; after 60+ cruises we know what we like and go for it. It really does not matter how much you spend - as long as you enjoy what you doing. We do save to travel and feel blessed to be able to do it.

I'm a really cheap person in my regular life so that I can travel the world and splurge when over seas! Doesn't seem to make sense to travel and THEN be cheap.

In a post on another thread today you said"

"Seabourn odessy? I'm not looking to spend $10,000+ for a carribean cruise."

The cost for the Seabourn Odyssey cruise was actually $4,670.pp. Since you want to splurge and don't want to be cheap but Seabourn seems too much, what kind of budget are you looking at? That will narrow the list of ships/cruise lines to look at.

$4,670 is defiantly on the high end for Caribbean cruises!!! And I am sure that is on the sea bourns "low" end.

Many people write off luxury cruises as being too much, but comparing what you get included on a luxury line versus what is extra on other lines brings the bottom lines much closer together than you would think.

OK, let me point out a few of the ill considered examples you've made. It's insulting and ignorant to assume it's only about money.

-Flying in the same day - not everyone is retired or has the luxury of extensive vacation time. Some people have obligations that can't be shrugged off. Yes, flying or driving into the embarkation port is ideal, but not always possible.

- Eating at gas stations. I'm going to assume you're talking about drivers here. If you've got a long days drive, why make it longer by a prolonged restaurant meal. We've taken a few driving trips where grabbing a sandwich and drink at a gas stop was all we wanted, and saved us an hour,. It's not always about the money. Heck, we've even (gasped) been known to pack a picnic lunch that we've eaten at a rest stop. Not to save money, but for the fresh air.

-not doing optional excursions. Why would I pay the exorbitant fees for ship excursions that are usually crowded with too many people? I can find my own excursion from a local provider that will not only be the same or similar, for a lower price, but I won't have to put up with 50 other people on a huge bus. Or I can just do my own thing. Go and spend a day at a fabulous beach or a favorite museum and do things at my own pace, not at one set to accommodate someone else. I'm spending my money on what I want to do, the way I want to do it.

Not everyone drinks alcohol; or they drink very little. Why buy a booze package that they will get little value from. And believe it or not, there actually are people who are completely content with the offerings in the MDR, and don't feel a need to dine in the specialty restaurants.

And there are also some people who have to scrimp and save for years just to take one cruise. And they still have to be careful with their spending once on board.

We feel privileged that we can travel frequently without having to "pinch pennies". But we certainly are not going to disparage those folks who are trying to make the best with what they have. What would you like to see - some kind of bank account scrutiny before someone is allowed to board? Frankly I find the whole tone of your post arrogant. Feel free to vacation in the manner you prefer. But extend the same courtesy to your fellow travellers. Not every experience is determined by the amount of money you spend on it.

Honestly, what difference do other peoples' travel styles make to you?

I enjoy travel and am fortunate to be able to indulge that enjoyment. I'd rather travel to Europe three times a year, flying coach, than once in first class. Or take three cruises in an inside cabin rather than 1 in a suite.

As you say, it's all about the experience and to me the "experience" is what I see and do, not about how much I spend. In fact, I get GREATER enjoyment out of figuring out how to get myself around and see the things I want on my own than I ever did by buying an overpriced ship's tour. (And most of my experiences are the better for it.)

We are fortunate to have so many choices on how to vacation. I don't begrudge anyone their suite or first class tickets. But I think there's a bit of a disconnect if you think those are the only things that make for "experiences".

Honestly, what difference do other peoples' travel styles make to you?

I enjoy travel and am fortunate to be able to indulge that enjoyment. I'd rather travel to Europe three times a year, flying coach, than once in first class. Or take three cruises in an inside cabin rather than 1 in a suite.

As you say, it's all about the experience and to me the "experience" is what I see and do, not about how much I spend. In fact, I get GREATER enjoyment out of figuring out how to get myself around and see the things I want on my own than I ever did by buying an overpriced ship's tour. (And most of my experiences are the better for it.)

We are fortunate to have so many choices on how to vacation. I don't begrudge anyone their suite or first class tickets. But I think there's a bit of a disconnect if you think those are the only things that make for "experiences".

I also cruise frugally, and only splurge on gifts for the crew. My needs are few, and I don't buy overpriced things I don't need for myself.

That enables me to justify cruising six to eight times every year without worryIng about the budget.

Everybody has different values and priorities, so we make our decisions based on our priorities.

We will spend more if we feel that we get more.

Back in 2015 we did a back to back on Legend ots, we cruised in an inside for the first 11nts and in an outside for the 10nts on the second leg of the cruise. Sure we could have booked a balcony and only done one cruise, but to us the experience of doing both cruises was worth more the a balcony. Sure we payed more in the end by doing two cruises with everything combained, but we got more. I would say that we are middle class in Sweden and not everybody can afford to be away from home for a total of 25nts when you are in our age (I was 34 and my wife was 23 back then), but by saving and planing we was able to do that trip. As you can tell by my signature, we travel a lot. This year so far we have done two Caribbean cruises, one week on the Azores and right now we are spending a week on Mallorca.

I can't believe this thread even exists. :rolleyes:

Is there really any need to denigrate how others choose to spend their time or money??

Their time, their money, their choice.

JB :)

Amen.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

OK, let me point out a few of the ill considered examples you've made. It's insulting and ignorant to assume it's only about money.

-Flying in the same day - not everyone is retired or has the luxury of extensive vacation time. Some people have obligations that can't be shrugged off. Yes, flying or driving into the embarkation port is ideal, but not always possible.

- Eating at gas stations. I'm going to assume you're talking about drivers here. If you've got a long days drive, why make it longer by a prolonged restaurant meal. We've taken a few driving trips where grabbing a sandwich and drink at a gas stop was all we wanted, and saved us an hour,. It's not always about the money. Heck, we've even (gasped) been known to pack a picnic lunch that we've eaten at a rest stop. Not to save money, but for the fresh air.

-not doing optional excursions. Why would I pay the exorbitant fees for ship excursions that are usually crowded with too many people? I can find my own excursion from a local provider that will not only be the same or similar, for a lower price, but I won't have to put up with 50 other people on a huge bus. Or I can just do my own thing. Go and spend a day at a fabulous beach or a favorite museum and do things at my own pace, not at one set to accommodate someone else. I'm spending my money on what I want to do, the way I want to do it.

Not everyone drinks alcohol; or they drink very little. Why buy a booze package that they will get little value from. And believe it or not, there actually are people who are completely content with the offerings in the MDR, and don't feel a need to dine in the specialty restaurants.

And there are also some people who have to scrimp and save for years just to take one cruise. And they still have to be careful with their spending once on board.

We feel privileged that we can travel frequently without having to "pinch pennies". But we certainly are not going to disparage those folks who are trying to make the best with what they have. What would you like to see - some kind of bank account scrutiny before someone is allowed to board? Frankly I find the whole tone of your post arrogant. Feel free to vacation in the manner you prefer. But extend the same courtesy to your fellow travellers. Not every experience is determined by the amount of money you spend on it.

Well said.

I figure we each make our own choices. As long as you are not messing up my vacation, you can do what you want. It may not be my choice, but who cares.

As long as you are not messing up my vacation, you can do what you want. It may not be my choice, but who cares.
I can speculate why some folks might be concerned. Just look at how cruising and Carnival itself has changed over the last 20 years. It is the economy-seeking traveler that has shaped the entry level Cruise Lines offered by the big Cruise Line corporations. It has prompted the unbundling of fares accompanied by the addition of surcharges and such. Now for many of us that results in a lower fare adjusted for inflation but of course for those who utilize the surcharged services results and higher costs. Now in order to get that same experience that these Cruise Lines offer 20 years ago you've got to go move upmarket. For people who have an affinity with a certain cruise line that may be something they're not happy about. One of the unshakable truths of the consumer Marketplace is that the more people who are just like you the better the marketplace is going to serve you.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I can't believe this thread even exists. :rolleyes:

Is there really any need to denigrate how others choose to spend their time or money??

Their time, their money, their choice.

JB :)

Exactly - what is self-coddling luxury to one is simply acceptable to others. It does not necessarily involve cost - simply preference. Who can reasonably care how someone else spends their money -- beyond perhaps pointing out a possible mistake, such as driving to the port on embarkation day without allowing any time for delays?

We are frugal cruisers and experienced world travelers, although we have just a few things that we insist upon. We have cruised in everything to a penthouse suite to an inside cabin and have come to the conclusion we don't particularly enjoy or appreciate things other consider essential. For example, the attention and added expense of a butler is wasted money. I don't need someone at my beck and call when my needs are minimal, and I don't need extra 3PM snacks delivered to my cabin. One Caribbean island starts to look the same as another, so spending money on many excursions is wasted money.

There are other things like alcohol that are of minimal importance to us because we rarely drink at home, so why would we want a drink package or even a daily glass of wine? We are also perfectly happy with the MDR food offerings. How wonderful to not cook, serve or clean!

There are some things that are priorities such as ensuite rooms in Europe and efficient transportation to the airport or port. As a person in my sixties, I only select souvenirs that I would REALLY appreciate and display or as tasteful gifts for others. That rules out almost anything from Mexico or the Caribbean.

I actually admire people who are frugal and can appreciate life without spending a lot of money.

Interesting topic with equally interesting comments. Surely a holiday is what you make of it?

We are senior citizens which means that our income is 'fixed'. We love cruising but have to pick carefully. Our compromise has always to book an inside cabin, just being on board is a bonus, but I'm slightly flummoxed by the statement that people have taken cruises simply because they were cheap. Can't imagine a situation where we would take a cruise whose itinerary we didn't like :confused:

We will have a budget for the holiday but if we see something or do an extra excursion that wasn't in our original calculation then we will do it. We may never have another opportunity and life is too short for regrets.

If someone chooses to spend nothing while on board that's their prerogative; and if they enjoy their holiday that's even better, but as they say - Each to their own.

Happy cruising.

Sorry, but this is something you cannot give a generalized answer to. I probably come under your cheap category (although I don't eat at gas stations and I do fly in at least a day early.)

Having been fortunate enough to cruise for over 20 years, and lived overseas too, I cruise for relaxation, not to be entertained and be on the go all the time.

Just because someone doesn't drink a great deal, buy everything in sight, and take every shore excursion available, doesn't make them cheap! Been there! Done that!

Everyone has a different lifestyle and priorities.

I spend what I want when I want and where I want

Sometimes is an inside cabin sometimes it's a balcony

Sometimes ships excursions sometimes not

I know people who are members of $10,000 a year pool/golf clubs and insist on driving the largest suvs made....and have never taken their kids to Europe...but hey at least they are keeping up with the "joneses"

I live in a nice home join a mid level pool club for $1000 a summer drive normal cars spend 14 nights a year right on the cape cod beachfront in a gorgeous timeshare and my family has been to Europe and the Carib etc several times and we cruise very often

If I insisted on only the highest end accommodations on board we wouldn't be cruising

If I care what the "joneses " thought we wouldn't be doing 1/10 of what we do....

Because I'd be spending my money on huge suvs and country club memberships

Oh an I don't waste money on the ship either....as a seasoned cruiser I know bingo/art auctions/spa treatments etc are a rip off I let the new newbie cruisers enjoy them. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums