Question about ID/ travel documents

sweetsunshine74

I will be sailing on NCL and do not have a passport (don't have time to get one prior to my sailing, so that's not an option). I will bring my current FL driver's license and birth certificate. My question is, do I need to bring the document "trail" that shows my name change? I was married twice, so I have a marriage license showing my last name change from D to E, and then another certificate showing the change from E to H. Do I need to bring those, since my birth certificate name is not the same as my DL name?

I will be sailing on NCL and do not have a passport (don't have time to get one prior to my sailing, so that's not an option). I will bring my current FL driver's license and birth certificate. My question is, do I need to bring the document "trail" that shows my name change? I was married twice, so I have a marriage license showing my last name change from D to E, and then another certificate showing the change from E to H. Do I need to bring those, since my birth certificate name is not the same as my DL name?

Normally, you can get a passport at a regional passport office within 48 hours if you can demonstrate close-in upcoming travel documentation. Of course, with the current "govt. shutdown" that may not be possible. But, I'd check on Monday.

The problem with coming to CC for advice is that you'll get a variety of often conflicting answers. So, best thing will be to bring your entire "paper trail" with you. One fortunate thing is that, at least for the time being, NCL is one of the cruise line's that does not require ALL passengers on ALL itineraries to produce a passport.

Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It will not hurt to bring the documents. You probably won't need them, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

I agree -- with the government shutdown, doubt if you can get a passport on short notice.

SO -- take that paper trail with you -- just in case.

I agree it unlikely any new passports will be processed until the shut down ends.

B ring all your 'link' documents.

You should bring the document that shows the difference between the name on your birth certificate- so if your maiden name is Jones you would bring the marriage certificate showing the name that is on your current ID, let's say Smith. I don't think you need to worry about any of the names in between.

They really don't care about your name...it's more about your birthdate. I've never needed a marriage certificate....but I use my maiden name as my "middle" name on everything. Makes life easier!

The birth certificate shows citizenship....the ID shows if you are who you say you are.

You should bring the document that shows the difference between the name on your birth certificate- so if your maiden name is Jones you would bring the marriage certificate showing the name that is on your current ID, let's say Smith. I don't think you need to worry about any of the names in between.

Unless of course marriage certificate 1 changes her name to smith, and marriage certificate 2 changes it from smith to brown, etc. Better to bring them all (it's not like they are heavy or bulky) and not need them, than to leave one at home and be the one she needs.

They really don't care about your name...it's more about your birthdate. I've never needed a marriage certificate....but I use my maiden name as my "middle" name on everything. Makes life easier!

The birth certificate shows citizenship....the ID shows if you are who you say you are.

of course, if you maiden name is smith or jones, or williams, that might or might not work. Just because this poster has elected to do it one way and gotten away with it does not mean that it is the right way to do things, or that at some point in the future this poster won't get called on it.

OP needs to bring them all to be safe.

I agree it unlikely any new passports will be processed until the shut down ends.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-services-government-shutdown.html

Passport Services During Lapse in Appropriations

At this time, scheduled passport services in the United States and our posts overseas will continue during the lapse in appropriations as the situation permits. This website will not be regularly updated until full operations resume, with the exception of emergency safety and security information.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-services-government-shutdown.html

At this time, scheduled passport services in the United States and our posts overseas will continue during the lapse in appropriations as the situation permits. This website will not be regularly updated until full operations resume, with the exception of emergency safety and security information.

Do not assume that the situation will permit with the current leadership in Washington. IMO the white house wants everything shut down.

It should also be noted that the OP has mentioned she does nto have time to get a passport, so this is a moot point for her.

In North Carolina my driver's license has my maiden name as a middle name although I have never used it as such. I never had to show our marriage certificate to show my name change before we got our passports 20 years ago. Just showed my birth certificate.

Our passports were lost after last cruise (New Year's Eve) but they expired in June, 2018. Now we are going to get passport cards. (We have notified who ever that our passports are lost and we canceled them.)

Good news. :)

I need a replacement SSN card (required documentation for a REAL ID license in Pennsylvania) and I visited the SSA office on Friday to kick that off. Thankfully my need is a couple of years off but I've read that they won't process card applications during the shutdown.

I need a replacement SSN card (required documentation for a REAL ID license in Pennsylvania) and I visited the SSA office on Friday to kick that off. Thankfully my need is a couple of years off but I've read that they won't process card applications during the shutdown.

Maybe I'm having a senior moment but I seem to remember getting an email from the SSA stating you can now print a Social Security card from your "my social security" account on the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have a passport, is that not suffiient but they a lso require the ssN card in adDITION?

Maybe I'm having a senior moment but I seem to remember getting an email from the SSA stating you can now print a Social Security card from your "my social security" account on the web.

I think you can request a card online to be mailed to you in many states, including Pennsylvania. Despite that, when I log into myssa.gov I'm not given that option and told to visit my local SSA office. Maybe it's because my SSN wasn't issued in PA (back when your number was determined in part by where you applied).

Anyway, I spent 90 minutes at the office Friday waiting to hand in my application.

If you have a passport, is that not suffiient but they a lso require the ssN card in adDITION?

Here's the best part:

To get a PA REAL ID, you have to prove your identity (with a birth cert or a passport), your SSN (with an original SS card, can't be laminated), bridging documents for all name changes (if your passport has the current name that's good enough) and 2 forms of proof of address (such as an unexpired license or current utility bills or bank statements).

But my old, non-REAL ID license (or a passport) was sufficient ID to request the duplicate SS card. So in reality the paper trail is fairly short. Go figure.

In PA a REAL ID license is optional but the standard license will eventually be insufficient to pass through a TSA checkpoint. Anything else like voting or (according to the PA website) entering a Federal courthouse can be accomplished with a "regular" license.

Do not assume that the situation will permit with the current leadership in Washington. IMO the white house wants everything shut down.

It should also be noted that the OP has mentioned she does nto have time to get a passport, so this is a moot point for her.

You can get a passport while you wait, or max 48 hours if you have a need.

Essential services will not be shut down. Or do you think that they will stop all flights by shutting down TSA and CBP? Oh, and cruises already in progress will not be able to return to the US?

REALLY?????

For the SSN requirement:

2. Proof of Social Security

An original of one of the following documents with complete name and SSN:

• Social Security card (with the customer’s current name);
  • W-2 form (not handwritten);
  • Pay check/stub;
  • SSA-1099; or
  • Any 1099 (not handwritten).

For the SSN requirement:

2. Proof of Social Security)

Interesting.

My source is linked above; what's your source?

Different states may have different requirements, I suspect.

Edit, well, it does say "example."

• Proof of Social Security Number
    • Example: Social security card
      *Please note that social security card cannot be laminated or sealed in plastic

Edit: The Federal requirement is as your link states:
(e)Social security number (SSN).

(1) Except as provided inparagraph (e)(3) of this section, individuals presenting the identity documents listed in § 37.11©(1) and (2) must present his or her Social Security Administration account number card; or, if a Social Security Administration account card is not available, the person may present any of the following documents bearing the applicant's SSN:

(i) A W-2 form,

(ii) A SSA-1099 form,

(iii) A non-SSA-1099 form, or

(iv) A pay stub with the applicant's name and SSN on it.

No matter; it's done...

Edited by Underwatr