Elevator priority

1980dory

Our wheelchair user friend is probably the most patient human being we know. He patiently waits for an elevator to arrive and (regardless whether it's going up or down) he wheels in.

His philosophy?

"Elevators go up and down and eventually.... I'll get to where I want to go".

If there is a crowd waiting for the elevator or the elevator is already full, he lets others get off and/or board first and waits for the next elevator..... whether it's going up or down.

As he says:

"Elevators go up and down and eventually.... I'll get to where I want to go".

;)

Please remember that not all disabled folks use wheelchairs/scooters..My DH has to take chemo pills which make him very tired on occasion and sometimes unexpectedly. His doctors have encouraged him to travel (one of our favorite things to do) so we continue to cruise when we can. So if you see a 50 year old man on the elevator, please don't assume he can just take the stairs. He doesn't want to get on first, but he does need to ride instead of walk up stairs to conserve energy.

Thanks!

Please remember that not all disabled folks use wheelchairs/scooters..My DH has to take chemo pills which make him very tired on occasion and sometimes unexpectedly. His doctors have encouraged him to travel (one of our favorite things to do) so we continue to cruise when we can. So if you see a 50 year old man on the elevator, please don't assume he can just take the stairs. He doesn't want to get on first, but he does need to ride instead of walk up stairs to conserve energy.

Thanks!

Excellent point. Thank you. I am guilty of assuming that an otherwise able-bodied person who gets on an elevator to ride up or down one level is just being lazy.

No all disabilities are apparent.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately in this day & age a high % of the world suffers from SEBs (Self Entitled B!tch*s Syndrome). I routinely find myself saying "I hate people" more & more.

I went on the Breakaway in September & it was the most frustrating time of my life when it came to elevators!! My able bodied hubs & son tried their best to get elevators for me before the SEBs barged their way on. We would sit & wait & try forever.. even with 8 elevators there! The fact that not all of the elevators went to the top floors didn't help. We frequently got on elevators going the wrong way just so we could get on.

This was a constant struggle throughout the entire cruise. I never wanted to go off on my own because it would take me at LEAST 15 minutes to get an elevator on my own. The first time I did that, my boys were quite worried about me while I was gone.

We did run into a couple of people who would hold others off/hold the elevator so that I could get in (thank you if it was you), & in turn my hubs and son did the same for others.

For the people who wouldn't move when I was going into the elevators, I said "Watch your toes!! Only got 2 today, much better than the 7 yesterday!" People then moved.

As for helping holding the elevators open... if you are outside the elevator and there is a scooter backing out you can probably let go of the elevator door once the scooter is in between the doors, because like a pp said, the doors will hit the scooter not us. We don't actually WANT to run over peoples toes lol.

I completely understand where the original poster is coming from as they probably encountered the same aggrivating frustration as I. I would have paid for an HC elevator lol. But I realize that Crew Moderation of elevators at peak times would maybe be a better option. It's unreal that a ship that size only had elevators forward and aft.

With that I realized I'm not fond of mega ships & most likely won't cruise one again.

I opted not to go to Disney this year because of SEBs & instead booked Cancun.. but b/c of the bad press Cancun was getting I switched last minute to the Escape out of Miami.... alas Hurricane Irma decided that wasn't going to happen either. So with 2 days left until my vacation, I ended up booking 1 of the last cabins on the Breakaway - I guess there is no getting away from SEBs lol.

I am now booked on a smaller ship in April, with elevators Fwd, Mid & Aft, half the people, and hoping (yn) that we have a better time :p

disneynutssss - love the seb description. People like that have no concept of karma, which can also be a b*tch.

It's like the guy who weaves in and out of traffic, cuts you off, weaves in and out some more, and then winds up behind you at the next light. That's karma at work.

lol!! :')

Interesting thread this, on our recent first RCI cruise we were pleasantly surprised to find that all wheelchair users were allowed to leave the muster drill first, which meant we were able to be first into the lifts before the rest of the passengers were dismissed.

No priority was given for the rest of the cruise, but leaving the muster is always the worst, and RCI lifts are much bigger anyway than Princess or P&O, so we rarely had problems finding space in them.

disneynutssss - love the SEB description. People like that have no concept of Karma, which can also be a b*tch.

It's like the guy who weaves in and out of traffic, cuts you off, weaves in and out some more, and then winds up behind you at the next light. That's Karma at work.

Or the car that closes fast from behind and then passes, and shortly you come around a curve, see a car down the road make a U-turn, and the flashing lights go on. Love it! EM

Interesting thread this, on our recent first RCI cruise we were pleasantly surprised to find that all wheelchair users were allowed to leave the muster drill first, which meant we were able to be first into the lifts before the rest of the passengers were dismissed.

No priority was given for the rest of the cruise, but leaving the muster is always the worst, and RCI lifts are much bigger anyway than Princess or P&O, so we rarely had problems finding space in them.

We also experienced Royal Caribbean excusing us from muster before everyone else. However, that did not stop the able bodied from rushing to the elevator to beat us on.

We also experienced Royal Caribbean excusing us from muster before everyone else. However, that did not stop the able bodied from rushing to the elevator to beat us on.

I never understand the big rush after muster drill. If my muster drill is anywhere near one of the bars, as soon as it's over I'll grab an adult beverage, find a comfy spot, and watch the groundlings in their mad dash to go nowhere. Fifteen minutes later, I am refreshed and can grab the nearest elevator or take a stroll or a roll around the promenade deck.

• 5 weeks later...

May I ask how YOU determine who is REALLY handicapped, and who is not? My husband is both overweight and the possessor of very bad knees. So bad he is on disability because he can hardly walk. Seeing him on a scooter you might think he is on it just because he is fat and doesn't want to walk, and you would be wrong.

Sounds one short step (or one-legged hop :D ) away from determining who is MORE handicapped next.

Strangely enough I often wish that some disabled parking spaces were designated for wheelchair users only, especially as I drive round and round a shopping centre (mall) car park trying to find a vacant disabled space or one that has enough space to fully open the door for my wife to safely get out and into her chair.

I'm in my early 50s and a BKA (below knee amputee), as well as having a couple of small strokes so my motor control isn't that great. As I was LEAVING a store a few years ago, I had some biddy walk up and read me the riot act because she couldn't get her choice of parking places. I'm leaning up against my car for balance and hike my pants leg to show her my prosthesis. All she could do was sniff that she was "more handicapped."

Strangely enough I often wish that some disabled parking spaces were designated for wheelchair users only, especially as I drive round and round a shopping centre (mall) car park trying to find a vacant disabled space or one that has enough space to fully open the door for my wife to safely get out and into her chair.

Designating accessible spaces specifically for wheelchair users only would be considered descriminatory under both Federal and State Law. Though some states do note on the signage that the the space can accomodate a van with a lift ( such as often seen in Illinois) that does not prohibit a person who has a valid HC License plate or placard not having a van with a lift from parking in that spot.

Being that you are driving your wife than you have the option of dropping her off and picking up your wife curbside which would allow her to use her walker to transfer to the wheelchair. You than are required to park your vehicle in a non-handicap space as the the person the HC license plate or HC Parking Placard is register must be entering /exiting the vehicle when it's parked in an accessible space.

Designating accessible spaces specifically for wheelchair users only would be considered descriminatory under both Federal and State Law. Though some states do note on the signage that the the space can accomodate a van with a lift ( such as often seen in Illinois) that does not prohibit a person who has a valid HC License plate or placard not having a van with a lift from parking in that spot.

Being that you are driving your wife than you have the option of dropping her off and picking up your wife curbside which would allow her to use her walker to transfer to the wheelchair. You than are required to park your vehicle in a non-handicap space as the the person the HC license plate or HC Parking Placard is register must be entering /exiting the vehicle when it's parked in an accessible space.

I wonder why the US considers that designating a parking space for wheelchair users only is any more discriminating than designating it for disabled users only? Anyway it was just a thought and not a major issue, just a minor aggravation.

As regards dropping my wife off curbside, its a possibility but UK shopping centres don't seem to have space for drop off areas, and if it was uncovered and cold or wet I doubt she would be very happy left freezing while I parked, and then the same again as I went to collect the car and pick her up.;)

I get it that many people have different types of disabilities, some are obvious, some are not. I have been pushing my wheelchair for over 25 years and I have seen my share. I need a certain amount of space to unload my wheelchair in a parking space. I used to get some interesting looks when I first used my chair at 26 years old until they saw me unload. Luckily I have been able to get into my car when people park to close and when I could not (like when people think the blue lines in between the HC spot is a parking spot) my wife is with me to move the car. I approach every task with a smile. But someone who parks in a HC spot and runs into the mall and walks the whole mall does not warrant a HC plaque in my book

I wonder why the US considers that designating a parking space for wheelchair users only is any more discriminating than designating it for disabled users only? Anyway it was just a thought and not a major issue, just a minor aggravation.

As regards dropping my wife off curbside, its a possibility but UK shopping centres don't seem to have space for drop off areas, and if it was uncovered and cold or wet I doubt she would be very happy left freezing while I parked, and then the same again as I went to collect the car and pick her up.;)

Though in the USA each State establishes its own its pariemeters necessary to qualify for HC Licence Plates and HC Parking Placards, all are based on meeting conditions of disability and not based on the type of durable medical equipment used.As a result if the HC license plates and HC placards were issued to only those that require the use of wheelchairs it would descriminate against but no limited to , those with invisable disabilities**, those who use crutches, scooters, walkers, knee rolators, etc.

** For many years my symptoms of MS were invisible to the genral public but the fatique to walk was so overwhelming that if I didn't have a HC parking placard I'd not be able to do the basic essentials necessary to sustain life.

Though in the USA each State establishes its own its pariemeters necessary to qualify for HC Licence Plates and HC Parking Placards, all are based on meeting conditions of disability and not based on the type of durable medical equipment used.As a result if the HC license plates and HC placards were issued to only those that require the use of wheelchairs it would descriminate against but no limited to , those with invisable disabilities**, those who use crutches, scooters, walkers, knee rolators, etc.

** For many years my symptoms of MS were invisible to the genral public but the fatique to walk was so overwhelming that if I didn't have a HC parking placard I'd not be able to do the basic essentials necessary to sustain life.

I was not proposing that all disabled parking spaces should only be given to wheelchair users, just that a few of them should be specifically designated for w/c only, is that too much to ask?

I was not proposing that all disabled parking spaces should only be given to wheelchair users, just that a few of them should be specifically designated for w/c only, is that too much to ask?

You always have the option to advocate for that to be done in the UK.

In the USA it would only increase fraudulant usage of HC parking spaces which is huge problem already. Reason being there are those that would just go to Goodwill and purchase a cheap used wheelchair to keep in their car to be used when the only space available is designated as" Wheelchair only".

Actually, I think it is a good idea, where I shop locally there always seem to be a large number of extra large spaces for parents and children while there are few disabled spaces and they are often very narrow. I also wonder if your blue badge wouldn’t allow you to stop on double yellows, get your wife in her wheelchair into a warm and dry place and then you can go away and park ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, I think it is a good idea, where I shop locally there always seem to be a large number of extra large spaces for parents and children while there are few disabled spaces and they are often very narrow. I also wonder if your blue badge wouldn’t allow you to stop on double yellows, get your wife in her wheelchair into a warm and dry place and then you can go away and park ?

ozscotart - Being that you;re in Scottland you need to check to see if parking on the double lines is prohiboed. As far as the number of HC Spaces vs. standard parking spaces you need to check with local government to determine what regulations apply to number of HC spaces relative to standard parking spaces that are required. Same apples to the UK .

In the USA it's illigal to park on the yellow lines and a ofine can be imposed depsite having an HC license plate or Hc placard. The yellow lines between the parking spaces denotes that a vehicle including thoise with a HC license plate or HC placard cannot park there as it's considered an accesesible access area to allow proper clearance for those transferring from a wheelchair,scooter, walker or other mobility aid if needed.

In the USA - The number of spaces designated to be HC Parking is a percentage of the total number of parking spaces as dictated by ADA Law. That's why there's alway fewer HC spaces than standard parking spaces.

Each council area in the U.K. has their rules but in Edinburgh you can park on double yellows where loading is permitted. Terrierjohn being in West Yorkshire would need to check with his local council as to the regs that apply there, though I would surprised if they were any different on this point.