Mobility Devices Stored In Corridors Blocked Other MD Users

SargassoPirate

On a recent Celebrity cruise, a dear friend was a temporary wheelchair user. She kept her wheelchair in her cabin when not out and about. However, when trying to move about the ship, she found scooters, wheelchairs, and even a twosie baby carriage parked in the stateroom corridors overnight and at all hours. Complaints to guest relations had not effect.

Just imagine finding the corridors blocked in case of an emergency.:eek:

Why are the crew afraid to enforce SOLAS and cruise line policy when it comes to storing mobility devices in the stateroom?

I always have my cane with me, hanging off my scooter or rollator. (I also always bring my mobility device into the cabin to get it out of the way.)

If my passage were blocked by something a passenger should have brought inside, you can bet I would be using that cane to bang on their door and make a ruckus. I don't care what time of night, or who I was waking up.

I do worry that last night, though, when luggage is placed in the passageways. Never been unable to get by, but I know it could happen.

On a recent Celebrity cruise, a dear friend was a temporary wheelchair user. She kept her wheelchair in her cabin when not out and about. However, when trying to move about the ship, she found scooters, wheelchairs, and even a twosie baby carriage parked in the stateroom corridors overnight and at all hours. Complaints to guest relations had not effect.

Just imagine finding the corridors blocked in case of an emergency.:eek:

Why are the crew afraid to enforce SOLAS and cruise line policy when it comes to storing mobility devices in the stateroom?

Though the cabin attendants are aware of the policy that nothing can be stored in the hallways they don't want to upset their guests as they're wanting to get an extra tip. In fact the cabin attendants are often the one's that tell the guest it can be stored outside particularly if the guests are in standard cabins. Though the cabin attendants probably are knowledgeable of the ships policy, it's unknown as to their knowledge of SOLAS.

Though every crew member should be in a position to enforce SOLAS Regulations the only department that's really going to do anything about it is "Security". Expecting someone at Guest Services to handle the matter is worthless. Instead I contact "Security". Yes there isn't always a button on the cabin phone marked " Security" so I contact "Housekeeping" as keeping the hallways clear is part of their job . Explain the situation and request to speak to "Security " and Housekeeping usually complies.

When all else fails I go to the nearest accessible washroom ,which might be my room ,and pull the "Emergency Cord" , A ranking member of the Security Team as well as 3 or for other individuals will appear in minutes. I apologize for the extreme tactic of contacting them explaining that my requests to other Staff fell on deaf ears. You can bet action will be taken immediately.

For good measure I write a note to the explaining explain the issue of non-compliance by the staff in regards to SOLAS regulations and measures as well as time it took to get the matter rectified. Place it in a sealed envelope and I do submit it to directly to the Director of Guest Services .

Just like RuthC I too have a cane with at all times have no problem knocking on the offender's door.

My friend in the wheelchair had difficulty negotiating the corridors with mobility devices parked outside staterooms. Several times she couldn't get by and had to take a long way around. Her complaints to guest relations had no effect. She was dumbfounded that other MD users would be so insensitive.

If it were me, I would've been more aggressive, but she is a sweet person and didn't want to be a bother.

Shame on those unthinking, clueless clods.

when trying to move about the ship, she found scooters, wheelchairs, and even a twosie baby carriage parked in the stateroom corridors overnight and at all hours. Complaints to guest relations had not effect.

Just imagine finding the corridors blocked in case of an emergency.

I guess I won't be cruising Celebrity then....

Thoughts

• I hate seeing dirty dishes left outside.... they already are a nuisance
  • I wonder how the cruise ship cleaning carts got around.
  • I wonder how they got their mobility devices around when so much was left outside.
  • In addition to square footage, I wish cruise lines would post cabin door widths and hallway widths
  • good point about luggage left outside the debarkation night before in the hallway. Some cruise ships do a better job clearing them than others.

If it were in my way I'd pull or push or have my fellow companion take it to a different deck. That would at least teach them a lesson. Knowing the ships crew will do nothing about it I would take it in my own hands to remedy. I bet they wouldn't leave it in the halls again.

I guess I won't be cruising Celebrity then....

Thoughts

• I hate seeing dirty dishes left outside.... they already are a nuisance
  • I wonder how the cruise ship cleaning carts got around.
  • I wonder how they got their mobility devices around when so much was left outside.
  • In addition to square footage, I wish cruise lines would post cabin door widths and hallway widths
  • good point about luggage left outside the debarkation night before in the hallway. Some cruise ships do a better job clearing them than others.

Most all mass market cruise lines do post the cabin door widths on its website. That information is genially located in the section regarding Guests with Disability or Accessible Cruising depending on the cruise. When all else fails just call the cruise line for that information.

British cruise ships won't allow you to take mobility scooters unless you occupy an adapted cabin or a suite.

I take a wheelchair with me and store it in my cabin. I also complain about those that leave them in the passageway and the cruise line takes appropriate action.

Seems like Celebrity are just as much to blame.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are preaching to the choir here. Better place to complain would be to Celebrity. EM

She emailed the VP for marine safety at RCI but the silence is deafening. I suspect, as with most large organizations, it will take a disaster to make them take action.

Sort of like Costa and muster drills after the Concordia.

She emailed the VP for marine safety at RCI but the silence is deafening. I suspect, as with most large organizations, it will take a disaster to make them take action.

Sort of like Costa and muster drills after the Concordia.

Complaining after you leave the ship rarely provides any feedback for the person raising the issue. Getting in touch with the appropriate person in power while on board the ship is much more effective for immediate resolution.

She was dumbfounded that other MD users would be so insensitive.

See it every cruise I've taken. Many of which are not usually every day MD users but those who rent them just for the trip. When I bring it up as a full time wheelchair user that can't get past their stuff- they usually BS "I didn't know". Really?? can't clearly see your scooter is blocking 2/3 of the already tight hallway.

Just returned home yesterday from the Celebrity Equinox. First time on a scooter (purchased by me). We did not see ONE scooter or wheel-chair parked in the hallways. Not ONE. Did not see one dish on the floor in the hallway. Since this was my first experience on a scooter, I was not very good at it. People were soooo kind and patient with me. On and off the elevator, trying to maneuver around things and people, trying to park...It was quite comical after a while, running over my husbands foot a few times.

There are not even any "housekeeping carts" anymore. It is like a duffle bag. I saw absolutely nothing in the hallways and believe me, I was flying around the ship on my wonderful, life saving scooter! BTW, I had a standard 1A balcony and had no problem fitting through the door and parking it in the cabin.

Just returned home yesterday from the Celebrity Equinox. First time on a scooter (purchased by me). We did not see ONE scooter or wheel-chair parked in the hallways. Not ONE. Did not see one dish on the floor in the hallway. Since this was my first experience on a scooter, I was not very good at it. People were soooo kind and patient with me. On and off the elevator, trying to maneuver around things and people, trying to park...It was quite comical after a while, running over my husbands foot a few times.

That's the way things go. A large portion of the time you will never encounter any problems. I had a great cruise on Elation last fall and could not have sailed with kinder, more understanding passengers. Then you encounter "those folks" who will give you hair-raising stories to tell for the rest of your life. ;p

• 4 weeks later...
Perhaps some pictures for media shaming will help get the message across better.

Here ya go:

With the luggage tag still attached, there was no doubt who this one belonged to and yet the cruise staff couldn't seem to get the PAX to store it inside the stateroom.

%28Sep%2009%2C%202017%2006-38%20AM%29samsung%20SM-G900V%285312x2988%29.JPEG?psid=1

This folding device was stored in the corridor at most all times, day and night.

%28Sep%2016%2C%202017%2007-21%20PM%29samsung%20SM-G900V%285312x2988%29.JPEG?psid=1

We measured this scooter and it would easily fit through the cabin door.

%28Sep%2009%2C%202017%2006-21%20AM%29samsung%20SM-G900V%285312x2988%29.JPEG?psid=1

While not blocking other users, mobility devices are not to be stored in paths of exit travel - and the elevator/stairway crossover if part of and marked as a path of exit travel. After several complaints, this was the cruise line's solution to PAX who would not store their mobility devices in their cabin.

%28Sep%2028%2C%202017%2011-02%20PM%29samsung%20SM-G900V%285312x2988%29.JPEG?psid=1

Edited by SargassoPirate

Simply put, because it doesn't generate revenue.

Actually it well could.

I had a cruise I wanted to do $20,000 plus for two of us. Ship has one accessible balcony cabin only. I could have got by with a standard balcony if there was somewhere to store and charge my power chair, they lost my $20,000.

Eventually the accessible became available its roughly twice the size of a standard cabin.