Carnival hub app text messaging

v3cruiser

Hello,

Cruising with family soon. Noticed for 5$ we can text others through the carnival hub app. Is $5 per person all that is needed or do we have to purchase an internet plan as well? Anyone experience any additional charges? I thought it would be a great way to stay in contact with everyone on the ship. Smooth sailing everyone!

Hello,

Cruising with family soon. Noticed for 5$ we can text others through the carnival hub app. Is $5 per person all that is needed or do we have to purchase an internet plan as well? Anyone experience any additional charges? I thought it would be a great way to stay in contact with everyone on the ship. Smooth sailing everyone!

Yes, $5.pp for onship texting. No extra charges, no internet necessary. Some do not like the fact that there is no 'ding' or buzz when a message appears, but what can you expect for $5? LOL We found it very useful.

Suggest you download/install the app before you board the ship.

Yes, $5.pp for onship texting. No extra charges, no internet necessary. Some do not like the fact that there is no 'ding' or buzz when a message appears, but what can you expect for $5? LOL We found it very useful.

HUH? Mine makes a ding when I receive a text via the funhub app.. or at least it did on Splendor and Paradise. Did that change recently?

HUH? Mine makes a ding when I receive a text via the funhub app.. or at least it did on Splendor and Paradise. Did that change recently?

I noticed that the app has to be running (or not be "closed") for "ding"/"buzz" to go off. I have an iPhone if that even matters.

Chat fee is one time price for the duration of the cruise. But if you want to get an internet package the prices are as follows. IMO, can't go wrong with either Social/Value if you use the internet that is.

Internet Package Prices:

• $4 per day for Social ($5 per day onboard)
  • $10.25 per day for Value ($16 per day onboard)
  • $14.88 per day for Premium ($25 per day onboard)

I noticed that the app has to be running (or not be "closed") for "ding"/"buzz" to go off. I have an iPhone if that even matters.

Chat fee is one time price for the duration of the cruise. But if you want to get an internet package the prices are as follows. IMO, can't go wrong with either Social/Value if you use the internet that is.

Internet Package Prices:

That must be it. I left it running the entire time. (iPhone here too)

Internet Package Prices:

Hi Brandon:

Thanks for this info. What is the difference between the value and the premium? I need to be able to livesteam with Periscope and FB Live and post pictures to FB, IG and Twitter. The price is so different. I just want to be sure I'm going to get my money's worth if I get the Premium or do I really need it?

Thanks.

Thanks! Just pre-purchased the social package and saved $13. Only bought for one in our cabin as DH and I don't need to be on at same time. It was nice to be able to get online and scroll through FB and post a pic here or there. Also, came in handy when we needed to check in for our flights. Had to go down to the physical computer stations to do this. Make sure you arrive to the computer well before time (for SW) as connections were VERY slow.

Does the chat still work in port or only at Sea? There is a disclaimer for standard text messaging from ship after ship is 12 miles out. I don't think this applies to carnival hub text messaging. Just want to be sure.

The Hub app uses the wifi on the ship, not cellular data. People are confusing "text" with "chat". You chat each other on with the Hub app, it doesn't send text messages.

We have bought the $5 HUB chat option on our last few cruises. It's good, but just be aware that it's not always 100% reliable - sometimes messages didn't make it through, or I would receive a message in our group chat but other people in the group wouldn't get it. It's just a little flaky but still very convenient at sea when not everyone had purchased an internet plan. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950W using Forums mobile app

Questions? Cruise is in January but I was going to connect to WI-FI as it suggests. It says to go to Settings and turn on the Airplane Mode. After I do that, can I shut off the Airplane Mode to use the phone and not have to reinstall the program when I return to the Hub? My guess is that it is just a matter of putting Airplane Mode on or off but it is some thing to consider if you use the HUB before the cruise. Just want to make sure.

One more question. I have the Carnival Hub on my telephone and I-Pad. If you connect to one, will the other be automatically updated? Would there be a second charge if I have to update them separately?

"Oh the tangled webs we weave!!!!!!!"

No... It is wrong. I was on Vista last week and you DO NOT need to turn Airplane mode on. Make sure you turn your phone to Airplane mode once you sail away so you don't get hit with roaming fees...unless you requested Int'l service turned on from your carrier which runs $10 or $15 a day. If you choose this plan...you only get charged for each day you turn on your phone. Internet on ship is slow....and if you try to use multiple devices...(after buying one of the internet packages)you will get a message stating an existing device is online if you are trying to access the web, email, etc..... and they will ask you to choose which one you want to shut off. If you just want to use the hub app without wifi capabilities...you can download on multiple devices. Download the Hub app from home before you leave and then you will automatically pickup their wifi signal once you board.

We have bought the $5 HUB chat option on our last few cruises. It's good, but just be aware that it's not always 100% reliable - sometimes messages didn't make it through, or I would receive a message in our group chat but other people in the group wouldn't get it. It's just a little flaky but still very convenient at sea when not everyone had purchased an internet plan. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950W using Forums mobile app

This happens when people close the app. The app needs to stay open at all times to send/receive messages. They have updated the app to display that warning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Brandon:

Thanks for this info. What is the difference between the value and the premium? I need to be able to livesteam with Periscope and FB Live and post pictures to FB' date=' IG and Twitter. The price is so different. I just want to be sure I'm going to get my money's worth if I get the Premium or do I really need it?

Thanks.[/quote']

The social plan does not officially support any streaming video. The premium gives you their fastest available speed however if you're used to home high-speed cable internet it will still be frustratingly slow. I personally don't think the speed increase is enough to even notice over the Value Plan but buying the higher package gives you more access to various parts of the internet. (meaning Carnival blocks less of it the more you pay). I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting an internet package but please do manage your expectations.

Another FYI. I do know that with the $5 Hub App, my wife and I were both able to send, and receive regular text messages to anyone, for the entirety of the cruise with Verizon. Galaxy S8 and Moto Z Droid.

Sent from my Moto Z Droid.

I'm pretty sure you are mixing up the 5 dollar a day social internet package with the 5 dollar per device/per cruise HUB chat feature. The HUB app does not communicate off the ship. It does allow you to chat with anyone else on the ship who also has the HUB app and paid the 5 dollars to enable chat.

Texting implies using a text messaging app on your phone (and forgive me if I'm assuming too much) to send text messages to folks back home (or wherever). The social internet package does allow that (and pretty much only that).

You do not have to have any internet plan to use the HUB app aboard a Carnival ship.

I'm sorry for YOUR confusion. I am not confusing anything. We did not purchase an internet package. We paid the $5 for the hub app for all 4 of our devices. My wife and I were able to send and receive text messages to anyone in our phone book for the entire cruise. I mentioned we have Verizon, and I listed our phones so that may be an OS specific feature, idk... You can find other Verizon customers confirming this on these boards. So, once again, so that there's no confusion, this was accomplished by only using the $5 hub app on the Breeze.

I'm sorry for YOUR confusion. I am not confusing anything. We did not purchase an internet package. We paid the $5 for the hub app for all 4 of our devices. My wife and I were able to send and receive text messages to anyone in our phone book for the entire cruise. I mentioned we have Verizon, and I listed our phones so that may be an OS specific feature, idk... You can find other Verizon customers confirming this on these boards. So, once again, so that there's no confusion, this was accomplished by only using the $5 hub app on the Breeze.

In your phone book and on your ship? Or are you saying you texted with people while you were at sea and they were not on the ship?

Because the HUB only communicates with other HUB app users on board the ship and connected to Carnival WiFi. Is it possible you were in port and connecting to land based cell towers? That would have nothing to do with the HUB app.

Look, I ain't trying to fight you. If there is a new feature or new policy that allows this people need to know it. If there is confusion (whether yours or mine) it needs to be cleared up. Everything Carnival says and my experience tells me what you are describing is not possible. I would love to be shown to be wrong though as that means more options for cruisers.

• Like 1

Carnival's HUB App ($5 USD per cruise per device)

Which ships offer the Carnival HUB App?

All of our ships are HUB App capable.

Where do the features of the App work?

The features of the App are available while onboard your Carnival ship.

What does the Carnival HUB App do?

The following features are available at the touch of your fingertips, for your entire cruise while on board your Carnival ship.

What's Happening: A day-by-day schedule of hundreds of on-board events, available for the full cruise as soon as you embark! Includes a “favorites” feature that also allows guests to see which events their sailing companions will attend.

Food & Drinks: A comprehensive list of delicious dining options and dining-related events, enticing refreshment venues and beverage-related events. Purchase from the app CHEERS! and Bottomless Bubbles beverage programs once on board.

Deck Plans: Searchable deck plans with key areas highlighted, providing a comprehensive layout of the ship’s various on-board offerings.

Account Balance: Real-time information on guests’ current Sail & Sign shipboard account balance.

Pixels Photos: On the Carnival Horizon and Carnival Vista, you will be able to view your photos on the app and order digital or print copies.

Onboard Chat Access: The opportunity to chat with family & friends on board all cruise long from the comfort of your deck chair (this feature is limited to ages 13 years and older; for safety reasons, parents and guardians must give consent within the app for a guests 12 years and younger to activate onboard chat.)

And more...

What is the App name ? How can I download it?

The name of the App is Carnival HUB app. Look for the app on Google Play and iTunes to download. You can also download the App from Carnival's website by clicking here.

Is the Carnival HUB app free?

The App is free to download and use on board. For a small additional fee ($5 USD for the voyage) the HUB App offers chat.

Do I need internet access to use the App? Do I have to pay roaming?

No internet purchase is required. The App works on Airplane Mode, which means guests do not incur roaming fees.

The App works with the ship’s free Wi-Fi.

How do I login to the Carnival Hub App? Where can I find my folio?

You may log in as soon as you arrive on board your Carnival ship! You’ll need your folio number (found on your sail and sign card) and Date-of-Birth.

Can minors use chat?

Chat Access is limited to ages 13 years and older; for safety reasons, parents and guardians must give consent within the app for a guests 12 years and younger to activate onboard chat.

What devices does the App work on?

• IOS/Apple iPhone versions supported: IOS 9.0 and up - this includes iPods
  • Android/Google versions supported: 4.4 (aka KitKat) and up

Can I use my tablet to run the Carnival Hub App?

Although the App is not optimized for tablets, it will function on both Android and Apple tablets.

Can I make dining reservations using the App? Can I see the dining menus?

Coming soon to all ships!

SocialWi-Fi Plan ($5 USD per day)*

Access the most popular social websites and applications including Facebook,Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, SnapChatand the most popular airline sites. Does not include access to most otherwebsites or apps and does not support Skype calling or music/video streaming(such as Spotify, Hulu or Netflix). Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling,In-app calling, iMessage and Facetime services are also not supported.