Shore Ex cancelled, no notification from HAL

bleacher04

So I happened to be looking online at my credit card charges today -- US$ card, which doesn't get used much -- and I see five equal-amount credits from HAL, posted 8 days ago. And the amounts happen to match the cost of one of the HAL shore excursions that we had booked for a cruise over Christmas. Sure enough, I check our online itinerary, and that port (Honduras) now shows nothing booked for the day. And that particular ShoreEx is no longer available for our sailing.

I understand that tours can get cancelled, and that is beyond HAL's control, but I do think it's a little shabby of HAL not to inform people. I tried to phone them, but offices are closed for US Thanksgiving...

Did you use a TA? Some have been known to drop the ball after HAL has sent a notification of changes to them.

Nope; booked the cruise with our HAL PCC, and booked the excursion online with HAL.

Or maybe check your spam folder? Sometimes email I've been receiving for years ends up there. :confused:

That was the second thing I checked! Last month all of my emails to a client were going to his spam folder; he was getting irate, and I couldn't understand why!

But that folder is empty...

That is strange. We have been notified by HAL if an excursion was cancelled -- if there was time before the sailing. A few times we were notified by letter once we were on the ship.

A phone call next week will probably clear things up. I just wondered if this was typical, and it sounds like it's not.

So I happened to be looking online at my credit card charges today -- US$ card, which doesn't get used much -- and I see five equal-amount credits from HAL, posted 8 days ago. And the amounts happen to match the cost of one of the HAL shore excursions that we had booked for a cruise over Christmas. Sure enough, I check our online itinerary, and that port (Honduras) now shows nothing booked for the day. And that particular ShoreEx is no longer available for our sailing.

I understand that tours can get cancelled, and that is beyond HAL's control, but I do think it's a little shabby of HAL not to inform people. I tried to phone them, but offices are closed for US Thanksgiving...

Yes, c heck with your TA if you used one.

Often people blame the cruis e line and later learn, their TA got a notice bu d id not pas it along to their client. Maybe tha t is th e case here?

Edited by sail7seas

Why cop an attitude, when a straight forward 'phone call (with no subtle or non-subtle undertones or overtones) to OP's PCC would likely produce the desired answer?

First of all, "not-too-subtle" does not necessarily mean "copping an attitude." Secondly, your patronizing criticism is out of line. You use the method you are comfortable with. I will use the method with which I am comfortable and which has usually brought the desired results in my 37 years of professional practice.

First of all, "not-too-subtle" does not necessarily mean "copping an attitude." Secondly, your patronizing criticism is out of line. You use the method you are comfortable with. I will use the method with which I am comfortable and which has usually brought the desired results in my 37 years of professional practice.

My "patronizing criticism" is neither in line nor "out of line" because it was neither patronizing nor criticism. More to the point, it was not directed it at you - it was clearly a Post offering another possible way for OP to approach her/his PCC. As such, I was certainly not suggesting how you should approach matters.

In my 51+ years of professional practice, I have come to realize that not all "professionals" are worthy of respect and deference.

Edited by avian777

My "patronizing criticism" is neither in line nor "out of line" because it was neither patronizing nor criticism. More to the point, it was not directed it at you - it was clearly a Post offering another possible way for OP to approach her/his PCC. As such, I was certainly not suggesting how you should approach matters.

In my 51+ years of professional practice, I have come to realize that not all "professionals" are worthy of respect and deference.

Wow! Perhaps not all deserve respect and deference, but at least courtesy.

Bless your heart :(

Hi, Paul. That is too bad that the shore excursion you chose has been cancelled. But good that you noticed in time, and I hope you find a really great alternative.

Thanks Ann. There isn't much to do in this port, it's fairly new as I understand, so we may just walk into the nearby town, which is only 5 minutes from the terminal. Another website describes it as "a really quaint Spanish colonial town." :) And the ShoreEx money we save can be put to good use towards wine! :D

I will call our PCC when the offices re-open on Monday. I think that ShoreEx is a separate department, but I want to find out what happened, and try to ensure that it doesn't happen again, closer to the cruise!

(and in a little touch of irony, because we sail in 30 days, we just received an auto-email from HAL, saying "Don't forget to book shore excursions!")

Thanks Ann. There isn't much to do in this port, it's fairly new as I understand, so we may just walk into the nearby town, which is only 5 minutes from the terminal. Another website describes it as "a really quaint Spanish colonial town." :) And the ShoreEx money we save can be put to good use towards wine! :D

I will call our PCC when the offices re-open on Monday. I think that ShoreEx is a separate department, but I want to find out what happened, and try to ensure that it doesn't happen again, closer to the cruise!

(and in a little touch of irony, because we sail in 30 days, we just received an auto-email from HAL, saying "Don't forget to book shore excursions!")

It's quite possible that your PCC wasn;'t notified yet of the cancelled shorex. Communication at HQ is abysmal at best.

It's quite possible that your PCC wasn;'t notified yet of the cancelled shorex. Communication at HQ is abysmal at best.

Many of he PCC's who are in Seatttle do not work in HAL offices. . Some PCC's are not located in WA state.

Wine is good!:D Hope you and your DW have a happy Christmas and cruise.

Sorry that somehow you did not receive the notice. Things like certainly can happen and it is frustrating. Thankfully that is not an experience I have had - just last week I received a notice that a shore excursion has been cancelled on an upcoming trip and that the credit for money paid had been credited to my bankcard.