3 pax cannot be booked into 4 pax stateroom?

JillK

I'm trying to book our family of 6 on the Sunshine in two connecting oceanview cabins in a 3/3 or 4/2 configuration. I'm being told by my travel agent that this can't be done as there is no availability.

I can see online that there are a few remaining 4 pax capacity connecting rooms available - I assume that Carnival will not allow 3 pax to be booked into a 4 pax cabin?

Can anyone confirm? Getting super frustrated!

Thanks!

I assume that Carnival will not allow 3 pax to be booked into a 4 pax cabin?

Can anyone confirm? Getting super frustrated! Thanks!

If your sailing date falls into a peak cruising time, then Carnival will have "MaxPax / No Spoilage" occupancy restrictions in place and will not allow 3 to be booked into a cabin that sleeps 4.

If your sailing date is at an off season cruising time, allowing spoilage and under-booking a triple or quad most likely be allowed.

Ocean Suites and Grand Suites can be under-booked at any time for any date. Occupancy restrictions don't apply to Suites.

If your sailing date falls into a peak cruising time, then Carnival will have "MaxPax / No Spoilage" occupancy restrictions in place and will not allow 3 to be booked into a cabin that sleeps 4.

If your sailing date is at an off season cruising time, allowing spoilage and under-booking a triple or quad most likely be allowed.

Ocean Suites and Grand Suites can be under-booked at any time for any date. Occupancy restrictions don't apply to Suites.

Nice informative post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What everyone else has already said is correct so the answer is, "It depends." My question to you is, when you do a mock booking and put in 3 passengers, do those quad cabins show up or do they only show up when you put in 4 passengers? If they show up as available even when you enter only 3 passengers, then you should be able to book 3 people into that quad. However, if you book 3 people into a quad cabin, Carnival reserves the right to move you if they need that cabin for 4 people so there is a risk that you could be moved.

Does this apply to any suite? We had trouble changing our booking recently. We are 2 people moving from a 4 person ocean view cabin to a 3 person junior suite. It was a month out from sailing. After a lot of persuading, she finally let us move. It is on a smaller ship, the Inspiration, maybe that is why?

I am looking at a peak season of winter break in early March.

I suspected it was restricted but wanted to double check here. I will likely try one more time to see if we can get the 4 / 2 configuration to work and will give up on 3 / 3. If that fails, next step is pick another cruise at another time!

Thanks to all for your insightful responses!

that is correct...3 do not go in 4 person room.....especially if the boat is filling up fast or almost full.

Not true, it depends on the ship and the sailing. We just got off the Magic, 3 of us booked in 4 pax room from the beginning......son HATES the sofa beds (too small for his 6'2") and prefers the bunk that drops from the ceiling.....we were given a 4 person cabin upon request from the beginning.....and have done this 3 times now!! It was a FULL ship for many months before sailing with our catagory 'sold out', and we had no problems retaining our cabin. OP call CCL and talk to someone who can help you!

The OP did not indicate what date they were looking at. As you get closer to sailing, usually after final payment, the occupancy restrictions are usually lifted.

We booked a double cabin we were not thrilled with, but the price was great. Our TA told us she would check availability once final payment passed. She was able to get us moved from a cabin on deck 9 on the Breeze that was below the Lido restaurant/pizza area, which could potentially have noise 24/7 to a great location on Lido deck that we have had before. The new cabin is a quad and there will be just 2 of us in it.

We wanted a specific cabin that was a 4 person cabin. Prices for the third and fourth passenger was $169 (plus taxes). We booked a friend of ours that we thought might want to go with us. We decided if he didn't want to go, or couldn't we'd do a no show and forfeit the $169 (getting the taxes back) It would be worth it to get the cabin we wanted.

I usually sail with my sister or my husband. A couple of times the three of us cruised together and we have had 2or 3 of us in a 4 person room with no problems at all.

The last 2 times we had a premium balcony on the Pride. The room was huge and had the standard sofa, but we could only put 2 in that room. Some other family members were with us and my sister had to squeeze in with them and that room was tiny. Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK, so we were not able to secure connecting cabins using either a 3 / 3 or 4 / 2 configuration for the Sunshine. Since this is a March 2019 sailing I thought I was booking enough in advance but apparently not!

Because the date, itinerary and ship are exactly what we're looking for, we decided to book two rooms side by side as luckily there were still a few of these scattered on the first deck with 3 pax occupancy. Hubby and I have cruised quite a bit and really want to get to the southern islands of Aruba and Curacao that we haven't visited previously instead of doing the eastern/western milk runs. I'm still sitting on two NCL future cruise credits I don't see how we'll be able to use now because they don't offer this itinerary.

I will periodically search as time goes by to see if any of the lucrative 3 / 3 connecting cabins free up as we get closer to final payment date.

Admittedly I'm a little disappointed but this is a minor inconvenience and I'm happy we have a ship with lots of amenities for our family to enjoy, on a great itinerary and right over our kids' March Break.

Thanks to all who replied!

Have you actually called and tried to book that way? I have never been able to book connecting rooms online, no matter what configuration I choose but have always been able to easily when I call Carnival. If you haven't tried that, I would! Good luck.

I didn't speak to Carnival directly but did work with an agent.

Looks like all the 3 pax and 4 / 2 connecting cabins are booked (or at least one of the two is) which is why I wanted to see if we could get into the 4 pax connecting cabins.

In order to get two 4 pax cabins, we would have to book two guests who would be no shows. I would rather have that money to spend on board so will forfeit the connecting cabins - but thanks denrusk for the tip.

We just got off the Magic and my daughter booked her, the fiance and her son in a 4 person room several months ago. A few weeks prior to the cruise, she decided to go ahead and add her daughter and was able to do so because it was a 4 person room. :)

Whennnn will you post the review and pictures? I have to notify work that I will be off for that week!:D