1. 1. Who should be Marina's godmum?

• Susan Sarandon
    • Hilary Clinton
    • Meryl Streep
    • Kate Winslet
    • Diane Sawyer
    • Catherine Zeta-Jones
    • Emma Thompson
    • None of the above, my choice is noted below!

One of the hot topics at tonight’s “welcome to the Marina float-out” dinner (held at a gorgeous monastery on a hilltop overlooking Portofino) was: Who will be the ship’s godmother? (Thanks lyndenfa for asking the question here!). It seems that Oceania executives definitely have a short list – but are told it’s way too early to hone in on a choice (and given that Costa reportedly assigned the godmother of its Costa Deliziosa the night before this weekend’s christening, we’d agree that 11 months out might be too much planning).

However, there was a fun and spirited debate about possibilities. Basically, the only criteria was that the possible choice epitomize the Oceania vibe and target market (so we wound up with women who were relatively mature, which is not to say senior, and highly accomplished). So we ask: Which of the following possible godmothers would be your pick for Oceania’s Marina? Vote here – and if you have another suggestion, by all means let us know.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I agree with the vote for Lady Jan..if anyone put "O" on the water ;)

by keeping the word alive even when it was only an interesting idea out of Miami.....

it would be her. But wait.. I have a more fabulous idea..just

to make it a first as is the large ship for Oceania..

I vote for all the folks who took the very ,very first Inaugural cruise on Oceania ... Regatta.... which means I can be a Godperson too..along with all 650 of us from that one.. which would make the photo hung on beautiful Marina a lovely Godfamily portrait..

I don't know Jan, but am not excited by any of the names on the list either. I still like the idea of a public contest, as another cruise line did a few years ago. Great free publicity, (the winner was announced on one of the morning news shows), and the winner was a great humanitarian who appreciated and deserved the honor (and the free cruises for life).

I don't know Jan, but am not excited by any of the names on the list either. I still like the idea of a public contest, as another cruise line did a few years ago. Great free publicity, (the winner was announced on one of the morning news shows), and the winner was a great humanitarian who appreciated and deserved the honor (and the free cruises for life).

I don't know Jan either but her name is always recognized and respected on this board. I read the suggested requirements and wonder what the Oceania vibe means? I think I understand the target group all right. If movie stars qualify and TV personalities qualify and politicians qualify they seem to be more or less famous to most people who live in countries Oceania visits. Athough I voted for Meryl Streep (because she can be so many women), I think about Sophia Loren becaue she lives in Italy in addition to having been a great actress. So once again, what is the "Oceania vibe"? Thanks all.

Having sailed on all three ships we have never recognized any of the godmothers. I presumed they were wives of executives but there was no explanation with their pictures.

As to the suggestion of Sophia Loren. she is already the godmother of the MSC ships.

Jan is well known in the business and among those who sail Oceania regularly.

Archived