Alcoves -- Worth the Price?

JerseyGirlatHeart

For us no it wasnt worth the price. Could accommodate 4 but not to lounge. Unfortunately we had a cloudy day with off & on showers, only 1 other Alcove was occupied. If you want a place to sit away from crowds and read or hang it may be ok; some people love them

I have used them twice, and really liked it both times

On Silhouette tried it for two days, and liked the service package that came with the reservation (bottled water, fruit and cheeses, and butler only a phone call away)

On Reflection reserved one for five days, one day beautiful, second day was rainy so we cancelled it by 0930 (so no charge), next 3 days were gorgeous.

You can seat 4 comfortably but really only room for two to lounge. Gave us a good deal when we reserved, as only paid for 3/4 days we used, the other day (and the rain day) they didn't charge us for.

We didn't think we would like them, but since we had a lot of OBC to use, we went ahead and booked 3 days on our recent Reflection cruise. We really liked them, even on port days when we didn't go ashore. We could have the canopy lowered when we wanted shade and moved back when we wanted sun. Also, they are close to the aft bar so you can easily run to it and grab a drink. Found that to be quicker than calling each time.

On a related note, have then been installed on Equinox yet?

Absolutely loved ours on the Reflection. Had a lot of OBC to use up so thought why not. Attendants were lovely but we tended to get our own drinks. Fruits and cheese plates were amazing - we could have phoned for room service but we didn't need to. Just the two of us so plenty of space. Only frustration were one annoying family who, although the whole lawn was empty plonked themselves right in front of our alcove!

Wendy

We reserved one on Reflection a few months ago when it was still $149 (I believe the cost has gone up). It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed it. Quick change from swimsuits to shorts at lunchtime and over to the Lawn Club Grill for the amazing burger. I did, however, have to go to Guest Services at the end of the day because we never got the promised iPad or the cheese/fruit plate. There was no explanation as to why we didn't get the iPad and apparently there was just one attempt to deliver the cheese/fruit plate and that's when we were at lunch. They ended up comping our lunch, which turned out to be a great deal. Not sure I'd do it again at the higher price.

I checked out the alcoves while hanging out on the lawn and found that basically you were "on display" to everyone else out on the lawn, which was a turn off for me. Also, depending on when you book your alcove, it could be raining, super windy, or super hot. Not exactly how I want to spend an afternoon throwing away $149.

We (two couples) thought we would enjoy them but after booking one for two days on a Reflection Caribbean cruise about 18 months ago we decided they weren't for us. IMHO, they are only big enough for two people to really relax and then are not all that comfortable. Perhaps we just hit a bad day but service was all but non existent both days. Others obviously love them though....

We questioned why the alcoves faced the lawn and were told that if they faced the water, there would be people walking right past you all day as there is a path between the grass and the railing. We were lucky...no one was on the grass the entire time we used the alcove so it was peaceful.

We questioned why the alcoves faced the lawn and were told that if they faced the water, there would be people walking right past you all day as there is a path between the grass and the railing. We were lucky...no one was on the grass the entire time we used the alcove so it was peaceful.

I found the same true, even on a bright beautiful sea day with a full load of passengers onboard, since the alcoves faced the center of the lawn, if you saw a 10 people a day pass by on the grass that would be a lot

We had one on the Reflection when traveling with our daughter, son in law and grandson (8 months at the time). Our daughter brought a blow up pool. The butler brought buckets of warm water to fill it. The baby got to play in it! Which was great since children in diapers is not allowed in the pools. It was a bit tight with 4 adults and baby but we had relaxing time. Hardly no one was on the grass. A lot of privacy. We also opened the door that faces out to the water so you could see the ocean.

We reserved an Alcove on Silhouette during a port day. It was lovely and restful. Just two of us so we had plenty of room. Cheese and fruit tray was very nice. Beautiful view of the port and surrounding area. We would do again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You were very lucky you weren't on Reflection last week in the Med. The grass was covered with blue towels and pax sunbathing - probably an inch or two between each towel :o. We walked by the alcoves and commented on the views those pax had - not something I would have been happy paying for. Wish I'd taken a photo now of how many bodies were on the lawn, all the way around to the photo studio; they were even on the side sections where pax play bocca.

• 1 month later...

Like almost anything, whether it is "worth it" is entirely subjective and depends on one's wallet, preferences and expectations. Some people wouldn't dream of NOT reserving one, others argue vehemently that they are completely unnecessary and would NEVER reserve one. To each his own...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I believe you order off the menu for the Lawn Club Grill. Would depend on what you order.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoy the Alcoves. Alway try to book Sea days when on the Silly or Reflection. And if we know we will be at a port we aren't interested in visiting, for that port day. The price is much cheaper for port days. If the day is very windy, the awning will not be put up so you might be in direct sunlight for the day. Better then trying to find a seat at the pool.

We have ordered lunch from the Lawn Grill and the waiters brought it to our alcove. Never a picnic basket, so I do not know the cost. Our attendant for the alcove will bring you drinks if you request. If you have the drink package it is included. You get a few bottles of water included, a cheese platter and a fruit platter. Some people do not like the fact that he alcoves face the lawn rather then the sea, but we enjoy the privacy as few people use the lawn itself. They may have a game or two on the lawn, so you also have a comfortable seat to watch.

As somebody said- to each his/her own. We would rather spend money on the alcoves then waste gambling or have a spa service-that is our choice of course.

We have enjoyed a couple of cruises on Silhouette when we reserved Alcoves. In Dec 2015, we took the "kids", reserved one for the entire week, and used it as home base. Perfect as we rotated the 6 of us through there.

Used one a couple months later in Feb 2016 and enjoyed it.

I have one reserved for our Dec 2017 cruise. I reserved the sea days before the price jump.

I have a couple of days in Feb 2018 reserved, because I booked them before the price jump. I don't see them worth $250 per day. I was willing to pay $150 but the extra hundred is too much unless it include The Lawn Club Grill. Now, if The Porch or The Lawn Club Grill are included, I'll pay the $250.