New to Thomson (Spirit) - some questions....

Hi,

Not quite new to cruising (been on CMV Magellan and Queen Victoria over past couple of years) but first time with Thomson coming up when we do the Ancient Affair trip around the East Med on Thomson Spirit in November. I'm expecting an experience closer to CMV than Cunard, and TBH we had a great Baltic trip on the Magellan which was vastly better than the reviews led us to expect, so that's fine.

I've one or two questions though. First is that we've splashed out on a Suite (119 to be precise) on the Spirit but I've seen very few reviews of these - any feedback from someone who's been in one? I also wondered what kind of toiletries are currently included - is it the same across the whole ship (I'd expect unbranded shower gel in dispensers) or do suites get something different? I'm wondering whether to buy my better half a little gift of goodies to take on board depending on the answer to this question!....but the Thomson rep on the phone didn't know the answer.

I also wondered whether, like CMV, there may be some piano or classical music somewhere in the evenings, as well as the livelier bands? We like both but on the Magellan it was fabulous relaxing in the late evening with a brandy while the superb classical duo (piano/violin) were playing in one of the quieter bars.

I also wonder about whether Thomson prioritise passengers on their own tours when organising disembarkation from the ship? Some lines do this so you have to wait if you're doing your own thing (and we are considering organising a separate tour in Israel).

And final question - what's the food like in the Compass Rose? Not seen any example menus but I'm curious to see what's on offer - especially in the evening as I think we're much more likely to eat in the buffet or on shore during the day (perhaps a picnic grabbed at breakfast time on occasion!!!).

I know the Spirit is probably a little tired by now, but like the idea of a smaller and friendlier ship - especially when the crew seem to come in for unanimous praise. I'm keeping my expectations in check, but hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks to anyone who's read all this and can help with some of the answers.

Jon

Hi Jon and welcome to Thomson.

As no others have replied I will try to help with what I can but it has been many years since we were on the Spirit we have however been on the sister ship many times in recent years but the Spirit is run slightly different to the main Thomson fleet, but here goes, closest we have been to your cabin was 114 & 115 and the position is great although we do prefer 218. Never been in a suite other than being upgrade to the Presidential just once. You are correct about the liquid gels but don't know about the suites? so splash out on your partner. They did in the past have a duo, violinist and pianist in the explorers lounge and a pianist in Raffles bar we mainly went into Horizons. The only time they have priorities is when its a tender port, you will have a priority check in lane at the beginning of the cruise. We always find the food good with breakfast on deck and lunch if we are onboard but dinner in the MDR you can also pay extra and go into the speciality restaurants which we do a couple of times per week and you can also have something to eat at midnight if you feel like it.

I will try to help if you have any other questions but it will be based on the facts we know now.

Have a great cruise:cool:

Edited by Pensioncruiser
missed out

Hi,

Not quite new to cruising (been on CMV Magellan and Queen Victoria over past couple of years) but first time with Thomson coming up when we do the Ancient Affair trip around the East Med on Thomson Spirit in November. I'm expecting an experience closer to CMV than Cunard, and TBH we had a great Baltic trip on the Magellan which was vastly better than the reviews led us to expect, so that's fine.

I've one or two questions though. First is that we've splashed out on a Suite (119 to be precise) on the Spirit but I've seen very few reviews of these - any feedback from someone who's been in one? I also wondered what kind of toiletries are currently included - is it the same across the whole ship (I'd expect unbranded shower gel in dispensers) or do suites get something different? I'm wondering whether to buy my better half a little gift of goodies to take on board depending on the answer to this question!....but the Thomson rep on the phone didn't know the answer.

I also wondered whether, like CMV, there may be some piano or classical music somewhere in the evenings, as well as the livelier bands? We like both but on the Magellan it was fabulous relaxing in the late evening with a brandy while the superb classical duo (piano/violin) were playing in one of the quieter bars.

I also wonder about whether Thomson prioritise passengers on their own tours when organising disembarkation from the ship? Some lines do this so you have to wait if you're doing your own thing (and we are considering organising a separate tour in Israel).

And final question - what's the food like in the Compass Rose? Not seen any example menus but I'm curious to see what's on offer - especially in the evening as I think we're much more likely to eat in the buffet or on shore during the day (perhaps a picnic grabbed at breakfast time on occasion!!!).

I know the Spirit is probably a little tired by now, but like the idea of a smaller and friendlier ship - especially when the crew seem to come in for unanimous praise. I'm keeping my expectations in check, but hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks to anyone who's read all this and can help with some of the answers.

Jon

Can't help with info re. suites but can give our impressions of Spirit - we were on her last June. She is an old lady but still has a BIG heart and the crew go out of their way to please. We ate in the buffet at lunchtimes but had breakfast and dinner in the MDR - the food was good with plenty of choice and service quick and efficient. The theatre isn't our favourite compared with other Thomson ships but, if you go to the Mezzanine Bar upstairs and get a table round the central balcony, you will have a much better view. Thomson excursion passengers did get priority disembarkation on several occasions when we were on board - particularly on days that we didn't dock until after 8 a.m. Sadly there were no classical musicians when we were on board but there was a pianist in one of the bars who, whlst not playing any classical music, made relaxing/easy listening.

Would certainly recommend that you buy some nice smellies for your good lady.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't think you will find Spirit quite the same as Magellan, and certainly nothing like the Queen Victoria, but she is still great and we would be more than happy to sail on her again.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I think the better half will be very happy with Elemis toiletries but I may just take a supplementary supply just in case! Any thoughts on what the suites are actually like? I've seen only one review.

Looking forward to the trip (Ancient Affairs/Eastern Med) and hoping/expecting the ship will be a little more relaxed and friendly than the Queen Victoria - not to mention with more affordable prices and avoidance of hefty service charge on everything! We don't need to be on a glitzy mega-liner and, to be honest, although the 'hardware' was obviously newer and better, there were more similarities than differences between the Queen Victoria and Magellan than your average Cunarder might want to admit! The entertainment was definitely better on Magellan though with a talented group of dancers and great choreography but less flashy set design; I get the impression the same may be true of Thomson although I wonder if going on the last cruise of the season on the oldest ship they have may be a bit of a risk!

Keep the info coming....

Cheers,

Jon

Mrs PC informs me we have to change our booking from Discovery with Clarins in the suites to Spirit!!

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

I've no idea whether Clarins or Elemis is better but both sound more than good enough to me! I'll just leave mine with the expectation that it'll be no name shower gel and then anything will be a positive!

I can thoroughly recommend the Thomson 2 day trip in Israel if it's still offered It includes an overnight in a very nice Kibbutz type hotel - dinner and breakfast included - for only about £40 more than taking a day trip each day You also see more as you're not having the extra coach journeys to and from the ship The night view of Jerusalem from The Mount of Olives is spectacular