Pilling?

I believe it is polyester (or other man-made fiber) content that causes pilling. Check to see if your all-cotton T-shirts are not pilly, and your blends are. Yes, turning inside-out to wash, and hanging to dry, are preventative as well.

I only buy 100% cotton tees...they don't pill at all for me. They can be hard to find these days, unfortunately.

I don't dry any of my clothing in the dryer - I might throw items in for a few minutes on low to de-wrinkle, but then I take everything out and put it on a hanger. I don't have a problem with items being wrinkled/crispy etc Just what works for me. :)

As a textile engineer I can tell you pilling is not a factor of the type of fiber, cotton or synthetic. It is however a factor of quality. The longer the fibers the less likelihood for pilling. Better fabrics with these longer staple fibers will not pill.

Thanks for the info :D

Though it’s funny, my man made fabric tissue tshirts have pilled. My White Stag cotton t’s from Walmart don’t have this issue. Treat them all the same, cold water wash, liquid softener (or vinegar) and hang to dry.

As I recall from textiles class a LOOOONG time ago, polyester filaments are chopped into small pieces in order to mimic the length of natural fibers such as wool and cotton, and then are spun along with cotton to make the yarns (and therefore the fabric) used in T-shirts. This makes a softer fabric than if a straight polyester filament was used, and provides the better properties of both fibers (if done well). It is the ends of these cut polyester fibers that cause the pilling. Again, this is just my recollection, but seems to jibe with my experience.

As I recall from textiles class a LOOOONG time ago, polyester filaments are chopped into small pieces in order to mimic the length of natural fibers such as wool and cotton, and then are spun along with cotton to make the yarns (and therefore the fabric) used in T-shirts. This makes a softer fabric than if a straight polyester filament was used, and provides the better properties of both fibers (if done well). It is the ends of these cut polyester fibers that cause the pilling. Again, this is just my recollection, but seems to jibe with my experience.

Longer fibers cut or not better fabrics......

Thanks for the info :D

Though it’s funny, my man made fabric tissue tshirts have pilled. My White Stag cotton t’s from Walmart don’t have this issue. Treat them all the same, cold water wash, liquid softener (or vinegar) and hang to dry.

Conversely, I've had 100% cashmere sweaters that would pill like crazy and others (no more expensive) that didn't pill.

Don't think I've ever had a cotton t-shirt that pilled -- perhaps cotton fibers are just more resistant to pilling (naturally longer maybe?).