Hand held steamers

Csardas

Hi,

First Celebrity cruise next year and know there are no irons available and that you can’t take your own, but hand held steamers came up on another board and wondered if anyone knew if they are allowed or had used them?

Not allowed and please don't even think about taking it anyways and using it. You are risking the lives of everyone on the ship.

This is specifically mentioned in the pre-sail docs that you will need to review.

THIS.

In addition, if you do try to take one on board, it will either be confiscated when you go thru security (if in carry on bag) or you will be called to the "Naughty Room" to open your suitcase for inspection and removal of the steamer from your checked luggage.

Not allowed and please don't even think about taking it anyways and using it. You are risking the lives of everyone on the ship.

This is specifically mentioned in the pre-sail docs that you will need to review.

Please explain how a steamer is risking the lives of everyone on the ship and a curling iron isn't???

Please show me where it says that steamers are not allowed, either in the cruise docs or online.

Please explain how a steamer is risking the lives of everyone on the ship and a curling iron isn't???

Please show me where it says that steamers are not allowed, either in the cruise docs or online.

I am sure the link will be provided . I have read the list and no steamers allowed. ..A rule is a rule and Celebrity has the right to make any rule they want and by signing the contract we agree to their rules

Curling iron rated at .8 amps and steamer at 12 amps. Purely unscientific based on looking at both devices in our house. Hair dryer is close to same but then again, it’s usually attended to while in use and not accidentally left plugged in and left on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look here: https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/booking-conditions/. If you scroll down, Item 2.2 is a list of prohibited items.

“2.2 Are there any prohibited items that I cannot take with me?

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp objects, including knives and scissors

Illegal drugs and substances

Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However “torch lighters” and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't looked at the list of prohibited items in a long time and I'm surprised to see heating pads listed. A few years ago I called special needs at Celebrity to see if they were available. They told me there are non on board but I could bring mine as long as it had an automatic shut off and the cord was not frayed. Ended up not taking it so I don't know what would have happened.

I haven't looked at the list of prohibited items in a long time and I'm surprised to see heating pads listed. A few years ago I called special needs at Celebrity to see if they were available. They told me there are non on board but I could bring mine as long as it had an automatic shut off and the cord was not frayed. Ended up not taking it so I don't know what would have happened.

DH needed one on a recent cruise, we called special needs & received the same response as Chezmarylou. We took our in the box it came in & they did check to see that there was a auto shutoff.

Have a look here: https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/booking-conditions/. If you scroll down, Item 2.2 is a list of prohibited items.

“2.2 Are there any prohibited items that I cannot take with me?

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp objects, including knives and scissors

Illegal drugs and substances

Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However “torch lighters” and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's UK, here is from US website :

"The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.*Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.Illegal Drugs & SubstancesCandles & IncenseCoffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot PlatesBaseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & ArrowsSkateboards & SurfboardsMartial Arts GearSelf-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.HAM RadiosElectrical Extension CordsDangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.**Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's UK, here is from US website :

"The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.*Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.Illegal Drugs & SubstancesCandles & IncenseCoffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot PlatesBaseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & ArrowsSkateboards & SurfboardsMartial Arts GearSelf-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.HAM RadiosElectrical Extension CordsDangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.**Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Maybe they think that cruisers from the UK need to have it spelled out, item by item, and US cruisers are better able to read between the lines? :D

From the US site: (https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/before-you-board)

Q.What items are prohibited on board?

A.Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

From that, I’d say that steamers count as an item that generates heat.

no steamers or irons allowed. And for the lady who tried to pack a hot plate and kettle on the cruise and it was taken by security.......not allowed. lol.............If you have a hair straightener with temperature settings...I have seen some amazing ironing done with those on cruise ships........there are even you tube videos on the subject.

... but why the difference in "safety" standards across cruise lines. From what I read, Cunard allows travel steam iron. While a travel steam iron generates heat, in the form of steam, so does a hair straightener and curling iron. If travel steam iron is unsafe for Celebrity, it must also be unsafe for other cruise lines. Cunard specifically indicated that it must be small enough to fit into a carry-on. Maybe size, and hence wattage, matters?

... but why the difference in "safety" standards across cruise lines. From what I read, Cunard allows travel steam iron. While a travel steam iron generates heat, in the form of steam, so does a hair straightener and curling iron. If travel steam iron is unsafe for Celebrity, it must also be unsafe for other cruise lines. Cunard specifically indicated that it must be small enough to fit into a carry-on. Maybe size, and hence wattage, matters?

It’s purely about revenue not safety. Celebrity has kettles on some itineraries and they are the same thing as a steamer essentially.

It’s purely about revenue not safety. Celebrity has kettles on some itineraries and they are the same thing as a steamer essentially.

Celebrity bought the kettles that are on board. Rather than look at 1500 different types of steamers to make a determination that they're safe (have an auto-off switch), they have a blanket prohibition.

Celebrity bought the kettles that are on board. Rather than look at 1500 different types of steamers to make a determination that they're safe (have an auto-off switch), they have a blanket prohibition.

Curling irons are far more dangerous so the argument doesn’t hold.

WHAT? That is all I just put in my suitcase. There is a lot of Crime on cruise ships you know. I just can't believe no Hand-cuffs, Cricket Bats or Hockey sticks.....???????????

Why in this world with all the modern no wrinkle fabrics,any one need a steamer, or even have your clothes pressed by the ship.

Because my summer wardrobe consists of cotton/linen and other natural fabrics. I loathe polyester and most “ modern no wrinkle fabrics”. I agree with the other poster that Celebrity’s rationale is financially driven and that it is very poor that they don’t provide self ironing rooms/facilities as other lines do.

Neither Celebrity nor Royal Caribbean have laundry or iron rooms for passengers. Just part of their model.

Besides, who really wants to spend their vacation doing laundry!

The ship laundry will be happy to press any item you like and the price isn't bad.

Neither Celebrity nor Royal Caribbean have laundry or iron rooms for passengers. Just part of their model.

Besides, who really wants to spend their vacation doing laundry!

The ship laundry will be happy to press any item you like and the price isn't bad.

It’s not the price. It’s just the convenience.