Greek Isle Cruise

GMA123

Hi all - looking for advice for a one week Greek Island cruise booked in June. We will be calling at Athens, Mykonos, Santorini and Rhodes and wondered if the ship was docked near enough in the ports to enable us to do our own thing rather than book excursions ? Maybe consider an excursion for Athens, possibly for Rhodes, but for Mykonos and Santorini thought about just having a relaxing wander around ourselves (even a beach stop if possible) as Hubby soon tires. Any ideas or advice anyone ?

Many thanks

Having called at all of the ports you mention, I can remember that on Mykonos the ship docks a fair way from the town centre and we used the ship's shuttle bus. On Santorini, you will be tendered ashore as they do not have a deep water mooring for cruise ships. The only port we booked an organised tour on was Athens but you should shop around as P & O charge a fair bit more than equivalent tour companies in port.

The HoHo bus works well in Athens, with a pick up in Piraeus and change of bus at the base of the Acropolis. Rhodes is very easy DIY. Santorini might be worth a tour to get ashore sooner. I did a morning tour and then stayed ashore making my own way back via the cable car.

The HoHo bus works well in Athens, with a pick up in Piraeus and change of bus at the base of the Acropolis. Rhodes is very easy DIY. Santorini might be worth a tour to get ashore sooner. I did a morning tour and then stayed ashore making my own way back via the cable car.

Thanks for that Sharon, will consider that for Santorini to get the best out of it.

Agree with comments already made. Mykonos it's best to get the shuttle a) because the dock is a step out and b) last time we were there the road to the harbour was quite busy and there was no pavement as I recall. If you happen to be tendered into Mykonos you are dropped at the harbour which is very central. If you haven't been before, I would say it's a lovely place to just wander - lots of interest and very pretty. There is a beach further along the coast from where the windmills are. Friends walked there and had a swim but there were no facilities there at that time (several years ago).

Santorini as described is accessed either by cable car after being tendered from the ship to the small port. If you go on a trip you are tendered to a port a little further along the caldera where there is road access for the coaches. Half day trips will generally drop you in Thira for the afternoon from where you get the cable car down to pick up the tenders again. Definitely not recommended to go via the path which is slippy and quite dangerous as it's shared with the cantankerous donkeys. From animal welfare point of view I'd never, ever ride on the donkeys. No wonder they're cantankerous! And we've heard of several people who have had accidents using this route down. You can catch the bus from the bus station in Thira to Oia which is the place I'd recommend visiting for a first visit - or you could do a ship's trip. There are beaches on Santorini but they're black volcanic ash and on the opposite side of the island to Thira though is not far away - perhaps 4 miles? My preferred beach is Kamari (again can get there by local bus) and there is plenty of umbrellas and beach furniture which in our experience was free if you bought some food or drinks from the bars attached to the different beach areas. I think you wouldn't be able to do both the beach, and say, Oia in one day as you have to build in transfer times of tender + cable-car to get into Thira, then catching a bus and return. Note if there are several ships in, there are often lengthy queues to get the cable car down early to midafternoon!

Rhodes is a great walk off port. 10 minutes will take you to the town walls and into the old town. Lots of cafes with a lovely courtyards and patio areas for a drink or food. It's a very interesting town with plenty to see. If as you walk away from the berth instead of passing through the town walls on your left go right towards the harbour and follow it round to the left and there is a beach there. It was quite narrow and busy when we were there but within easy walking distance so you could check it out. Again, no reason to go anywhere else unless you specially want a recommendation of a good beach somewhere else.

Hoho is an option from Athens or there is an express bus service from the port to Athens which drops you more or less at the same place as the ship's 'Athens on your own' excursion. The latter is safer in terms of the ship waiting if the trip is late. If you use the local bus be sure to leave a good margin for getting back. If you take a DiY approach I'd suggest you go as early as you can if you plan to do the Acropolis. Get there before too many tours arrive - and before it gets too hot! The Acropolis is a short walk from the Athens on your own or local bus drop-off point. The new Acropolis Museum is very good (and cool) and there's a nice cafe on the roof with a good view across to the Acropolis. The Plaka is a nice area for cafes and tourist shops to explore. Good port for independent exploration.

Enjoy!

If you decide to DIY Santorini - where the tender drops you at the little port under Fira you can get a boat to the little port under Oia which includes a short bus trip up to Oia, a bus back to Fira and a cable car ticket down to the tender. We found this the easiest way to get to Oia. My tip - queue for an early tender, the little port under Fira can get really packed and the cable car up tp Fira doesn't take many people at a time, but if you use the boat to Oia, you won't need the cable car.