Carnival from NY: only May through September?

Aldeya

Sorry, Ships out of NY in the winter are far from "full". This is one of the biggest price dump times to book cruises. Just take a look at the Gem prices for this month. Only positive with NCL is it's mostly 10++ day cruises, so that half of it isn't sailing with with winter coats on. :) 7 day cruises are hardly worth going on.

Two cold days each way makes appeal of winter cruising from NY hard to sell.

Not for me!

If Carnival was sailing the winter months from New York, I'd be on B2BB2BB2B:D:D:Dfor most of the winter. I got spoiled on Splendor when I first went in 2014.

Not for me!

If Carnival was sailing the winter months from New York, I'd be on B2BB2BB2B:D:D:Dfor most of the winter. I got spoiled on Splendor when I first went in 2014.

the problem with doing it that way is you keep coming back to cold weather. Better to cruise out of florida where you will have warmth the whole time

Plus the ships are generally not designed for operating in winter weather. A/C systems and piping are not all insulated and they have issues with coils freezing up and heating systems... plus the heavy fuel oil needs to be kept heated which takes more energy during cold weather, especially sub-freezing. And finally, winter storm systems can make for rough sailing and with south being the only option, a strong system can completely block a sailing or make it VERY uncomfortable for pax (just ask the Anthem of the seas pax)...

Plus the ships are generally not designed for operating in winter weather. A/C systems and piping are not all insulated and they have issues with coils freezing up and heating systems... plus the heavy fuel oil needs to be kept heated which takes more energy during cold weather, especially sub-freezing. And finally, winter storm systems can make for rough sailing and with south being the only option, a strong system can completely block a sailing or make it VERY uncomfortable for pax (just ask the Anthem of the seas pax)...

Some years ago someone posted a picture of the Pride with about 20 inches of snow on her. Very convincing as somelhing to avoid on a cruise

It comes down to supply and demand and where they think they can fill their ships.

Keith

Bingo, and they tried year round out of NYC and had to discount rooms significantly to get them occupied. Much easier and more profitable to do it seasonal. Carnival is committing their newest ship to New York this coming summer. The Horizon will be 3 months old when she gets here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

the problem with doing it that way is you keep coming back to cold weather. Better to cruise out of florida where you will have warmth the whole time

Ncl cruises in the winter are 10 to 14 days except holidays. This makes the sailing more pleasant, but, these are still on the price dump rack. A bottom fare time over many years. No problem getting low rates.

Not for me!

Then why don't you just pick up the 10 day Gem or 14 day Breakaway?? Far better than the Splendor itinerary- with them shoveling snow the first day. :) No problem picking up huge discounts. I'll be adding a couple myself this season.

Then why don't you just pick up the 10 day Gem or 14 day Breakaway?? Far better than the Splendor itinerary- with them shoveling snow the first day. :) No problem picking up huge discounts. I'll be adding a couple myself this season.

I'm thinking of trying Norwegian from NY due to the longer itineraries but sailed NCL once and swore I'd never go again. I've been trying to convince myself to give it another shot on one of these newer ships (I was on NCL Spirit in '06) and with the upcoming cold, I get closer every day:)

You couldn't beat the prices on Splendor's winter sailings back then...Under $500 for a balcony on Deck 8 as a solo cruiser for 8 days had me hooked:D

I'm thinking of trying Norwegian from NY due to the longer itineraries but sailed NCL once and swore I'd never go again. I've been trying to convince myself to give it another shot on one of these newer ships (I was on NCL Spirit in '06) and with the upcoming cold, I get closer every day:)

You couldn't beat the prices on Splendor's winter sailings back then...Under $500 for a balcony on Deck 8 as a solo cruiser for 8 days had me hooked:D

I would give them another shot. We cruised NCL early in our cruising lives and vowed never to cruise again with them.

While it took us many years to try again, we wound up having a great time and cruised NCL 2 more times after that. We went in 2012 on the Star, followed in 2013 on the Dawn, and last year on the Getaway.

Loved all 3 trips but the Getaway was our favorite.

Bill

. plus the heavy fuel oil needs to be kept heated which takes more energy during cold weather, especially sub-freezing.

Not really a valid reason for not sailing in winter. The fuel tanks are below water, so they are never seeing sub-freezing temperatures, and the energy needed to heat the fuel from, say 35*F (winter water temp) to 70*F (winter water temp down south) is much less than that needed to heat it from 70*F to 280-300*F needed to burn in the engine.

Meanwhile, temps in NYC hit 80 degrees last February. We went to Australia to enjoy their Jan - Feb summer season and escape the cold NY winter when we saw friends and relatives posting pics in shorts, tees and swimsuits enjoying the warmth.

Two days after we returned in mid March, lower NY got hit with a foot of snow and cold winds for the rest of the darn month, go figure!

I wish there would be more Carnival sailings from NY also. We prefer the convenience of driving to port, rather than the hastle of dealing with airlines. For 3 people, a typical flight from EWR to MIA or FLL usually adds about a grand to the vacation cost. We also don’t mind that the weather is colder about half the trip. I guess we are the minority.

It would be cool if Carnival would sail from NY starting in Mar or Apr and extend their season through Oct or Nov.

Anyways, during those colder months, we will just continue to sail NCL or RC from NY. It’s still a cruise!!

I think the reason for not sailing from NY in winter is that many "Yorkies" are in Miami warming up. So the ship is where the people are.

Snowbirds fly south! Last winter we did a January 14 day NCL Breakaway cruise before going to Australia/New Zealand/Cook Islands for what we thought would be the end of the NY winter in mid March.

This year we're doing a 10 day repo in January on the NCL Dawn out of San Juan, then staying near Tampa, before we go to Panama for Feb & March. The 2 month stay in a new beach front 1 bedroom condo costs the equivalent of a B2B cruise. We'll have to cook or eat out in Panama instead of having MDR staff serving us, oh well.

This year we're doing a 10 day repo in January on the NCL Dawn out of San Juan, then staying near Tampa, ll.

for others, this cruise is again on the dump rack at $389+

From NY, $449 for the 12 day Breakaway next month.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by staying with one cruise line. :) There are so many cheap bargains in the next couple months, it's daunting. :) I' holding out until Monday for the Jewel, which is my last opportunity to book, then will choose alternatives, for probably 3 cruises in December.