Donating school supplies in port

Cajunmissy

We will be on the Carnival Dream on 6/3 and are bringing school supplies to leave in Roatan. Now several other people in our roll call will also be bringing some for us to donate. Any suggestions on how to go about getting these to the Rotary booth in port? Is there anything special we need to do?

• 5 weeks later...

I have done this in Roatan a couple of times. The first time, we didn't have a lot of stuff (just a couple of backpacks full). We just carried them off the ship and dropped them at the booth. The last couple of times, we had quite a bit of stuff so we inquired at guest services. They set it up with the Roatan authorities for us to be able to take the items off the ship. We had 8 boxes of stuff when we were on the NCL Jade and they assisted us with a dolly and helped us roll the boxes to the booth. The last time we just put everything in two large rolling duffel bags and rolled them off the ship.

Please contact ronystours.com. We have been to a neighborhood in Coxen Hole many times. We just spent 8 days in Roatan. I can't imagine children who would appreciate any gifts more than the children we visit. You can just drop supplies off or spend as much time as you like interacting with the children. There is great need in this neighborhood. The children are precious and I promise you will be rewarded with the biggest smiles!

We will be on the Carnival Dream on 6/3 and are bringing school supplies to leave in Roatan. Now several other people in our roll call will also be bringing some for us to donate. Any suggestions on how to go about getting these to the Rotary booth in port? Is there anything special we need to do?

Buy the supplies locally. When you bring them in off the ship you are destroying local business.

We generally bring many suitcases of items. We make a 1-gallon plastic bags for each child with over 20 items in each. It would not be practical to spend time shopping for things in Roatan. Also, we try to weigh the overall benefit. We have purchased some items in Roatan years ago. A tablet was over $1 - the same tablet that I can get at Walmart Back to School sale for 25 cents. We just took shoebox-sized containers for 60 children a few weeks ago. 87 cents each at Walmart, almost $3.50 in Roatan. I got backpacks on clearance for $3, they would cost $12 to $20 in Roatan. I understand that it would be great to buy products in Roatan, but the benefit of helping 60 children vs. 15 has to be considered.

This is a very cool idea that I wasn't aware people doing. I will be in Roatan next March with my girlfriends and I will for sure start collecting school supplies. Do you know if there are specific things they need or is it just any school supplies?

We generally bring many suitcases of items. We make a 1-gallon plastic bags for each child with over 20 items in each. It would not be practical to spend time shopping for things in Roatan. Also, we try to weigh the overall benefit. We have purchased some items in Roatan years ago. A tablet was over $1 - the same tablet that I can get at Walmart Back to School sale for 25 cents. We just took shoebox-sized containers for 60 children a few weeks ago. 87 cents each at Walmart, almost $3.50 in Roatan. I got backpacks on clearance for $3, they would cost $12 to $20 in Roatan. I understand that it would be great to buy products in Roatan, but the benefit of helping 60 children vs. 15 has to be considered.

Too an extent you are destroying the local economy

Too an extent you are destroying the local economy

What? Seriously? Wow. We will be there for a short amount of time. Who has tome to go shopping for those items there ? Not someone on a cruise ship. I will be doing the same. How can this destroy the local economy? Wow just wow

What? Seriously? Wow. We will be there for a short amount of time. Who has tome to go shopping for those items there ? Not someone on a cruise ship. I will be doing the same. How can this destroy the local economy? Wow just wow

You should think before you post

Please do not take Geeko's posts to heart. Stick with your plan to help as many childeen as possible in the limited amount of time you have on the island.

Geeko - It's not a cruisers responsibility to hold up the school supply economy, their job is to do excursions and actually get on the ship so Carnival and other companies continue to offer money into the economy.

Please do not take Geeko's posts to heart. Stick with your plan to help as many childeen as possible in the limited amount of time you have on the island.

Geeko - It's not a cruisers responsibility to hold up the school supply economy, their job is to do excursions and actually get on the ship so Carnival and other companies continue to offer money into the economy.

No way would I let someone stop me from making a small tiny difference while in port. I absolutely love this. Of course it would be awesome to help the local economy but purchasing things there but it’s just not practical in this case. Some people are just ignorant and want to cause chaos on the boards. Lol

geeko1 - Have you been to Roatan? We have been there 15+ times and just spent a 8 days there this month. It takes me days to shop for everything we take - just not possible to do on a one-day cruise stop. If someone wants to purchase pencils or lollipops, etc. for 50 kids, great, stop and buy them and hand them out. But, buying 6-8 suitcases full of items(our average) is just not practical. So sorry you feel like I'm destroying the local economy, but we want to efficiently help as many children as possible. The children in El Suampo are in need of anything that can be given to them. They are so appreciative. I just don't want people to be discouraged in any way from taking things for them. It's so easy to just stop in the neighborhood - the kids will come running. Give out your items, get a big smile, and know that you've made a little difference while on your vacation.

No way would I let someone stop me from making a small tiny difference while in port. I absolutely love this. Of course it would be awesome to help the local economy but purchasing things there but it’s just not practical in this case. Some people are just ignorant and want to cause chaos on the boards. Lol

You are a perfect example of first world arrogance

geeko1 - Have you been to Roatan? We have been there 15+ times and just spent a 8 days there this month. It takes me days to shop for everything we take - just not possible to do on a one-day cruise stop. If someone wants to purchase pencils or lollipops, etc. for 50 kids, great, stop and buy them and hand them out. But, buying 6-8 suitcases full of items(our average) is just not practical. So sorry you feel like I'm destroying the local economy, but we want to efficiently help as many children as possible. The children in El Suampo are in need of anything that can be given to them. They are so appreciative. I just don't want people to be discouraged in any way from taking things for them. It's so easy to just stop in the neighborhood - the kids will come running. Give out your items, get a big smile, and know that you've made a little difference while on your vacation.

I absolutely love this!! So glad you have been doing it. We are like minded on this. I was so excited to share with my husband the opportunity of taking things. He said is this vacation or a mission trip ? I said both!!! We do a lot of this type of work in the United States as well. Would be so excited to do same here. Pulse our friends would Love to send things along

Please contact ronystours.com. We have been to a neighborhood in Coxen Hole many times. We just spent 8 days in Roatan. I can't imagine children who would appreciate any gifts more than the children we visit. You can just drop supplies off or spend as much time as you like interacting with the children. There is great need in this neighborhood. The children are precious and I promise you will be rewarded with the biggest smiles!
. How many children in the neighborhood?

There are probably 200 or more. We take gifts/supplies for 60 each time. Rony keeps a list and rotates the children with each visit. You can do what is most convenient for you. For example, take several tote bags or something similar with small items(pencils, erasers, tablets, candy, etc.). Rony can drive you to several locations in the community, the kids will see you and come to you. Hand the items out until they are gone. OR Pack a specific number of bags/drawstring bags/backpacks with items. Let Rony know in advance - EXAMPLE: I am bringing 6 backpacks of items for girls age 8-12. He will make arrangements to meet the children. Rony also volunteers coordinating/coaching soccer. Soccer balls are also greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...