38 year old single male, crusing on the Rhine at then end of November with Avalon.

Shoe King

I'm a 38 year old single male going on my first river cruise on the Rhine with Avalon for a week at the end of November. What should I expect being a solo traveller? Also being from Ireland I'm guessing the weather will be much like home, possibly a few degrees cooler?

Hello Shoe King,

welcome to Cruise Critic. The Rhine is a nice choice for a first river cruise and Avalon consistently offers a good product according to past cruisers. I am sure you will have no problem getting to know fellow passengers and past solo cruisers have commented on staff on ships being helpful with making sure solo travellers do not feel left out.

End of November is cool, dull and with lots of drizzle, if not rain. But it sounds worse than it is. Just do not expect the lush green of the British Isles. But the Rhine is considered to be one of the warmest parts of Germany so the weather should not be that much different from Ireland. Not knowing Ireland I would say, as a comparison, we do not have the palm trees of Cornwall but we do not have the rain of the North Yorkshire Moors either. Occasionally we get a cold spell with wind from the East (think Russia) which can be unpleasant days. But, as I said, they do not happen that often. Expect mild frost at night (or zero to plus four degrees) and sometimes during the day, more in the hills than the valleys. Snow can fall but we do not get that much and it often melts within 48 hours.

Have fun. Will you be on a Christmas market themed cruise?

notamermaid

Thank you for the warm welcome notamermaid.

I’m on the romantic Rhine cruise It’s to suit my job and that I left it late deciding on a river cruise holiday.

I see that I’m being mentioned on other posts on the board. I’ll have to get involved in the conversation lol

I have been on 2 cruises as a single. Since most lines have very fewtsbles for 2 (if any) it is very easy to just find a table and ask if you can join them. Sometimes there are lots of people travelling solo or with friends and they frequently gravitate to round tables for 6. You will be much younger than most, but if you are interested and/or interesting you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

Thank you for all the help and advice. I've got a month until my cruise, so starting to think about packing and keeping an eye on the weather.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the sights, cities and towns that are on offer along the Rhine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Shoe King,

as you are travelling at the end of November you could be able to see at least one or two towns with their Christmas market(s) already open. Generally they open after Sunday of the Dead (last November Sunday) but some open a couple of days before (but are closed on that Sunday then). Here is a list to check: http://germany-christmas-market.org.uk/ I do not know which direction you will be travelling in, but upstream will probably mean you will dock in Strasbourg at the right time (short video loads automatically): http://www.otstrasbourg.fr/en/infos/F223012607_strasbourg-capital-of-christmas-strasbourg.html

If not, the misty river in the morning makes for some nice atmospheric photos in November. :)

notamermaid

Thank you notamermaid. I was hoping to see some of the Christmas markets when I was away.

The temperature is starting to drop here at home, we are expecting -3 or -4 tonight. I’m seeing the temperature across the rest of Europe is starting to drop. Might even see snow on my cruise.

Shoe King: The Rhine is very beautiful and know you will have a great time. Since the river boats carry a small number of passengers, you should not have any problems being a single traveler. We have found that everyone is friendly and as mentioned above the dining room tables invite you to join others for dinner and fellowship. Dress in layers and pack a waterproof jacket. Have a Great time !!!!

I always carry one. It's handy for stowing rain gear, camera gear, water bottles, etc. I found one a couple of years ago that I really liked at Amazon. It folds up into itself for easy packing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5CEAF0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

We have the same backpack! We found it very handy especially in changeable weather when we'd start the day in cool weather, then remove layers as the day warms up. We would carry water bottles, sunscreen, tissues, sunglasses, small umbrella, etc. that may be useful when touring all day. The backpack is very light weight so it doesn't weigh you down, and folds up easily. I just wouldn't carry anything valuable in it.

I got a 25L for £10 I hope it will be big enough.

Only 9 days to my flight and the starting of my solo adventure. I’m looking forward to seeing the sights along the Rhine and meeting new people. Is there anyone on here going on the Avalon cruise on the Rhine starting on the 25th November?