Terracotta Warriors in Wellington from December 2018

Te Papa museum in Wellington will have a number of the Terracotta Warriors on display from December this year through to April 2019. Tickets go on sale from October. Cost will be $NZ20 per adult and $NZ9 per child. Further details will be published here once known

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/arts/105816010/24m-terracotta-warrior-exhibition-headed-for-te-papa-wellington

• Thanks 1

That would be an interesting exhibit. Having been to Xian twice (home of the terracotta warriors), I would encourage anyone interested to do go there. There are China tours that can be had for the same, if not less, than the cost of a NZ cruise.

Example. Our tour July last year was about 16 days and included the terra cotta warriors, panda research park in Cengdu, Beijing, Great Wall etc, Shanghai, and a couple of other cities, a couple of bullet train rides, internal flights and return flights from Sydney AND 4 night Yangtze river cruise, personal guides for our party of 4, 5 star hotels for princely sum of $2500.

Thanks will be there Feb 2019.... going direct to Te Papa

Hopefully you will be able to buy tickets on the day

Cheers Don

I am guessing here a bit but from previous exhibitions held at Te Papa in addition to buying ones tickets you will also have a time slot to visit the exhibition. I will try and remember to publish the ticketing arrangements when they come out in October. I would however suggest that this exhibition is going to be very very popular especially on cruise ship days. Te Papa gets flooded with cruise ship passengers now as entry is free.

My suggestion would be to purchase tickets early for an entry around 10.00 am if this is the way tickets will be sold. Assuming that your ship will arrive in port at around 8.00 am and there is a compulsory shuttle out of the port into the city a 10.00 am time to me is one with as little stress as possible. Whilst the exhibition is not huge I would estimate between an hour to two hours would knock off the visit leaving you plenty of time to visit other parts of the museum or our lovely city. Remember you are visiting the Coolest little capital in the world and you cant beat Wellington on a good day

If one has ever visited places like the Acropolis in Athens, Pompeii in Italy, The Colesseum in Rome and similar type attractions the huge queues waiting in line for tickets and entry yet those who bought their tickets on line went straight in. This exhibition will be no different

I am guessing here a bit but from previous exhibitions held at Te Papa in addition to buying ones tickets you will also have a time slot to visit the exhibition. I will try and remember to publish the ticketing arrangements when they come out in October. I would however suggest that this exhibition is going to be very very popular especially on cruise ship days. Te Papa gets flooded with cruise ship passengers now as entry is free.

My suggestion would be to purchase tickets early for an entry around 10.00 am if this is the way tickets will be sold. Assuming that your ship will arrive in port at around 8.00 am and there is a compulsory shuttle out of the port into the city a 10.00 am time to me is one with as little stress as possible. Whilst the exhibition is not huge I would estimate between an hour to two hours would knock off the visit leaving you plenty of time to visit other parts of the museum or our lovely city. Remember you are visiting the Coolest little capital in the world and you cant beat Wellington on a good day

Yes, that's the sort of timing I was thinking of.

And it's not the Wellington good days that worry me, it's the bad days! ;p No, don't panic, everyone, I'm joking (mostly). I lived in Wellington for around 20 years.

Windy wet and shakey. :(

Wet wasn't too much on a problem, but those northerlies used to drive my mother up the wall at times. :eek:And you get used to the shaking after a while. I also spent a lot of time working in Rotorua - lots of tiny shakes there although they were usually only noticeable at night.

You guys have spent too much time in Jafa country. Jafas are extremely jealous of the fact that they cant live in Wellington but stuck north of the Bombay's

Jafa country?

I am assuming this is a kiwi term for the big smoke, I have actually spent more time in Wellington than any other part of NZ.

Or is it for Australia?

Jafa country?

I am assuming this is a kiwi term for the big smoke, I have actually spent more time in Wellington than any other part of NZ.

Or is it for Australia?

It’s a reference to the supremacy of Auckland from the rest of the NZ population.

Just Another F....... Aucklander.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We would love to see the Terra Cotta Warriors when we are there in January. Do you suggest that we purchase tickets in advance of our arrival. I have always wanted to see them and would be sad to miss our one opportunity.

Vette

Te Papa museum always have long queues for popular exhibitions especially when cruise ships are in as the museum is about 5 minute walk from where the shuttle drops you off in town. I would pre purchase entry as soon as they go on sale

• 1 month later...