pool at port

JanesCruisingBuddy

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply. I know it probably wouldn't be as nice as the pools at some of the beach clubs, but we are doing a b2b and need to have some of the ports be very low cost in order to do some of the more expensive excursions at some other ports.

To be honest, the port area is as nice as anything I saw in the area. While the chairs and pool are free, the drinks at the bar are really expensive. The whole place is highly forgettable and only warrants a short visit. I feel like the cruise lines must get paid to visit Puerto Maya.

On a side note - I was called a "pendejo" by a manager at a restaurant/beach area in Mahahual for arguing over a fake tax that was placed on my bill.

To be honest, the port area is as nice as anything I saw in the area. While the chairs and pool are free, the drinks at the bar are really expensive. The whole place is highly forgettable and only warrants a short visit. I feel like the cruise lines must get paid to visit Puerto Maya.

On a side note - I was called a "pendejo" by a manager at a restaurant/beach area in Mahahual for arguing over a fake tax that was placed on my bill.

Buy a cheap $10 bottle of rum at one of the shops near the pool and add it to your drinks from the pool side bar

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the reply. I know it probably wouldn't be as nice as the pools at some of the beach clubs, but we are doing a b2b and need to have some of the ports be very low cost in order to do some of the more expensive excursions at some other ports.

A taxi is only $3 to the beach. Most of the beach bars offer free chairs with purchase of food or drinks. Everything on the beach was super cheap!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, the drinks are expensive but fortunately you don't feel pressured to buy anything. Plus the chairs are free so it can be a totally free port day.

Wow, we were just at this port and man has it changed since we were there last. It looks amazing with what they have done with the place. I have no idea when they did this make-over (or why) but I love the way it looks.

Probably complaints from cruise folk who put pressure on the cruise lines, who put pressure on port owners (cruise lines?) and local government. It is pretty now, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We are in port now and just left the pool area. Dropped in after our jeep excursion and had a blast! The pork tacos are great. Good crowd but no trouble finding chairs. Drinks were awesome! First time at this port and loved it. Also did the bird avery.

Do you recall the price for the bird avery?

$12 adults $10 kids (13 and under)

Thanks for the quick response! I seen the aviary mentioned in Mitsugirly's review and was interested, we have a 9 year old daughter and I think it would be something she would enjoy, we are not looking to travel outside the port area.

Thanks for the quick response! I seen the aviary mentioned in Mitsugirly's review and was interested, we have a 9 year old daughter and I think it would be something she would enjoy, we are not looking to travel outside the port area.

She will love it!!! We have a 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son. We were skeptical at first because we have Busch Gardens and Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa - and both have avery's to feed birds. So I thought, how good is this really going to be lol. But we went ahead and glad we did! The birds are very tame and will sit on your hands, shoulders and head. The Macaw's are very gentle and eat out of your hand without biting. Plus, you walk across rope bridges between avery's which was really fun!! And you walk over the dolphin pools which was cool.

We also did the chocolate factory which was great - brought home a ton of it!

if you are adventurous and looking to do something fun, find the Jeep Willy tour booth. We rented the custom made jeep and went on a two hour drive through the jungle and along the coast. You will get muddy so wear swimsuits! But we did that first, got back, jumped in pool and hate lunch and then did the birds.