Maine Lobster

mcrcruiser

I'd say that you were not one one of the two itineraries in 2012 where they did actually bring lobsters on board --- and they have been talking about it ever since.

I am inclined to think that a good number of the posters on this thread who talk about regularly having fresh lobster in the MDR wouldn't recognize an Atlantic lobster if it grabbed them by their noses.

I experienced riding back from Bar Harbor more than once on the tender with live, fresh lobsters for the Formal Night Dinner that evening and it wasn't in 2012. Just because you haven't had the same experience doesn't mean others sharing their experiences are lying or do not know what they are talking about.

nbt 'd say that you were not one one of the two itineraries in 2012 where they did actually bring lobsters on board --- and they have been talking about it ever since.

I am inclined to think that a good number of the posters on this thread who talk about regularly having fresh lobster in the MDR wouldn't recognize an Atlantic lobster if it grabbed them by their noses.

'Ya Think? :D :D LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They lie! So-called Maine or New England Lobster is actually called Homarus Americanus (American Lobster). If you have ever had it, you would know that this type of lobster has claws as well as a body. Most "lobster tails" (actually the abdomens) sold in the USA come from Rock Lobster or Spiny Lobster (which is not even lobster...but crayfish). Those that are familiar with Maine lobster know it when they see it....and you will not see it on HAL (or most other Mass market cruise lines. And no, they are not removing the claws (the best meat of the lobster) and serving the abdomens on HAL. That would be a stupid thing (since it reduces the value of the lobster).

Hank

Oh....I think I would know a true lobster if I saw one.....my dad fished them in the Bay of Fundy..... When served without claws or cooked differently than what I'm used to it throws me off though. I am used to them cooked in sea brine, cooled and eaten cold ( along with potato salad or fresh still-warm home made bread......sometimes a little mayo, not dipped in butter). He always said 1.5 to 2 lb lobsters were the best.....(and ships don't serve anything quite that big).

On Holland America's "Blog" - there are - number of posts - all except one discussing HAL topics taking place this month - and that one discussing live lobsters being brought on board Maasdam at Bar Harbor in 2012 --- sure sounds/looks like a one off --- and probably the source of a lot of current posts.

Do you have a link to that post? I can't find it on the Blog. Thanks.

I experienced riding back from Bar Harbor more than once on the tender with live, fresh lobsters for the Formal Night Dinner that evening and it wasn't in 2012. Just because you haven't had the same experience doesn't mean others sharing their experiences are lying or do not know what they are talking about.

Having seen pictures of the 2012 event - when the lobsters were brought out on a commercial boat - as might be expected - I am surprised to hear that they used ship’s lifeboats for hauling that sort of cargo.

Having seen pictures of the 2012 event - when the lobsters were brought out on a commercial boat - as might be expected - I am surprised to hear that they used ship’s lifeboats for hauling that sort of cargo.

JMHO navy, but me thinks that you should give up on this one, because you're definitely losing the battle! ;)

Oh....I think I would know a true lobster if I saw one.....my dad fished them in the Bay of Fundy..... When served without claws or cooked differently than what I'm used to it throws me off though. I am used to them cooked in sea brine, cooled and eaten cold ( along with potato salad or fresh still-warm home made bread......sometimes a little mayo, not dipped in butter). He always said 1.5 to 2 lb lobsters were the best.....(and ships don't serve anything quite that big).

I agree:::1 1/2 to 2 lbs. is perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk