Diamond Princess - Japan - Forced Traditional Dining

Brisbane41

Should Forced Traditional Dining on Diamond Princess based in Japan be abolished  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Should Forced Traditional Dining on Diamond Princess based in Japan be abolished

• Yes - Abolish forced traditional dining and reinstate anytime dining
    • No - Keep all passengers on forced traditional dining and do not allow any time dining.

I am just back from a Japan based cruise on the Diamond Princess. I have done it three times now starting in 2014 and only missed the year 2015.

To cut the long story short the forced traditional dining on this ship is causing the dining experience to feel uncomfortable, awkward and turn it into a totally unpleasant dining experience. The reason it is like this is that not all people turn up each night either leaving few people on the table or some people dining alone, the dining companions may be totally incompatible based on age, demographics, background, political beliefs among other reasons.

I am in the process of writing to Princess Cruises customer relations to ask that they change this policy and bring back anytime dining.

I would like to start a poll here for people to vote yes or no that people who have cruised with Princess in Japan can vote in.

I am also seeking thoughts of others. I personally think forced traditional dining should be abolished as it leads to awkward, poor, unpleasant and uncomfortable dining experiences.

The repeated expression "forced traditional dining" is hardly an apt characterization of simply not having the option of Anytime Dining.

If the amount of no-shows each evening is as big an issue as implied then clearly no one is being "forced" to dine at their assigned table at the assigned time. The Horizon Court, specialty restaurants, and room service must be quite popular.

Having tried anytime dining four or five times on Princess when it was first introduced in the previous decade, I have chosen to return to Traditional Dining (except when going solo as I will be on Royal Princess this Saturday) after sailing a different line that lacked an option similar to Princess' ATD and finding that had been missing the advantages of traditional set dining. Of course most all our tablemates were of different age, demographics, "background" :confused:, and likely politics (which was sanely omitted from all conversation) than I. Just like everyone one encounters in the real world.

Bottom line is I don't believe the beef is with the lack of Anytime Dining. The issue here is the need for a reserved table for two in order to avoid the "awkward, poor, unpleasant and uncomfortable" reality that not everyone in the world is of the same "age, demographics, background, and political beliefs" as everyone else. One has to wonder why anyone of this mindset would take their holiday on a cruise ship with a couple thousand all-encompassing strangers in the first place.

• Like 1

The repeated expression "forced traditional dining" is hardly an apt characterization of simply not having the option of Anytime Dining.

If the amount of no-shows each evening is as big an issue as implied then clearly no one is being "forced" to dine at their assigned table at the assigned time. The Horizon Court, specialty restaurants, and room service must be quite popular.

Having tried anytime dining four or five times on Princess when it was first introduced in the previous decade, I have chosen to return to Traditional Dining (except when going solo as I will be on Royal Princess this Saturday) after sailing a different line that lacked an option similar to Princess' ATD and finding that had been missing the advantages of traditional set dining. Of course most all our tablemates were of different age, demographics, "background" :confused:, and likely politics (which was sanely omitted from all conversation) than I. Just like everyone one encounters in the real world.

Bottom line is I don't believe the beef is with the lack of Anytime Dining. The issue here is the need for a reserved table for two in order to avoid the "awkward, poor, unpleasant and uncomfortable" reality that not everyone in the world is of the same "age, demographics, background, and political beliefs" as everyone else. One has to wonder why anyone of this mindset would take their holiday on a cruise ship with a couple thousand all-encompassing strangers in the first place.

You would have had to have been on Diamond Princess based in Japan only to understand. On the nights the ship was in port late at night and they opened the restaurant to open seating they mixed the seats up and filled all the tables and it was a great and interesting experience. The fact is I enjoy it better when they actually fill up the tables each night. I myself decided to use all the specialty restaurants this cruise because the forced fixed seating for main dining was such a poor and uncomfortable experience.

To cut the long story short the forced traditional dining on this ship is causing the dining experience to feel uncomfortable, awkward and turn it into a totally unpleasant dining experience. The reason it is like this is that not all people turn up each night either leaving few people on the table or some people dining alone, the dining companions may be totally incompatible based on age, demographics, background, political beliefs among other reasons.

Most of us who get out these days have found that we live in what has become a homogeneous world. In a typical day we may come in contact with people from other countries, different races, different religious beliefs and political leanings. Most of us were raised to accept all people-- even if the shade of their skin differed from ours.

Yes, I hear there still are certain "country clubs" where "Blacks, Jews, and Gays" are not welcome. But that's CERTAINLY NOT the attitude one should expect on a cruise. I am a citizen (born & raised) of The United States of America, and my best traditional dining experience was a 15 night dining table I shared with a widow from Switzerland, a couple from Australia and a retired, career USA Army Veteran. There were three different generations at the table. There wasn't anything awkward or uncomfortable-- other than learning to remember each others names the first evening.

Also, at least in polite society, people know better than to dicuss politics or religion at the dinner table. On another cruise, when I became part of a group of 8 - 12 individuals and couples from diverse socio-economic backgrounds and demographics, something I said prompted a respone from another: "Personally I do not believe that Global Warming is real...." I remained silent as I nodded to acknowledge I heard her comment, while I thought to myself: "Oh how wrong, based on my beliefs. But I like this couple and want to continue enjoying time together. We just need to avoid this subject and instead talk about the many other things that have so far made us laugh together."

Perhaps, OP, you did not really mean those words you typed. But if so, then perhaps a few rounds of golf at the club are a better fit than a cruise.

Unless you get a table for two you might be dining with a different set of totally incompatible people based on age, demographics, background, political beliefs every night in anytime. At least in traditional you know what you are dealing with.

:)

I am just back from a Japan based cruise on the Diamond Princess. I have done it three times now starting in 2014 and only missed the year 2015.

I am in the process of writing to Princess Cruises customer relations to ask that they change this policy and bring back anytime dining.

I would like to start a poll here for people to vote yes or no that people who have cruised with Princess in Japan can vote in.

I am also seeking thoughts of others. I personally think forced traditional dining should be abolished as it leads to awkward, poor, unpleasant and uncomfortable dining experiences.

Huh? I personally think that this is one of the best parts of cruising; meeting people from all over the world of what you stated above.

Bob

Anytime dining may be the most important reason we started cruising again after a long absence.

We took our boys 12 and 5 on the original "Big Red Boat" - and I absolutely hated the regimented traditional times.

With the boys grown - we booked a cruise on the Diamond Princess to Alaska in 2007 and really enjoyed the freedom of anytime dining. Been on a cruise every year since, except for 2009 when we went to the Keys for 5 days - which was way more expensive than the Caribbean cruises we have been on since we can drive to the ports.

What puts a smile on my face is the use of the word "forced". It was not too long ago that the only dining experience available was traditional dining which I enjoy thoroughly. I am now doing CC Anytime Dining and Love that too.

So I think the question here is if Princess has Anytime Dining on Most Other Ships, it should be offered on the Diamond too. Now if this OP loves the Diamond and Japan cruises, and knows this...................handle it!! Book your next cruise very early and request a table for two.

Pooh

For us, we won't cruise any more if the ship does not offer Anytime Dining.

We love chatting with people from all walks of life, cultures etc but we want dinner to be relaxing and so we prefer to choose our dinner companions from folks we meet on board during other activities.

I think for Japan a land vacation is really the best way to see that country so that is what I've done for 2 trips so far and a 3rd one will be coming up soon.

For us, we won't cruise any more if the ship does not offer Anytime Dining.

We love chatting with people from all walks of life, cultures etc but we want dinner to be relaxing and so we prefer to choose our dinner companions from folks we meet on board during other activities.

I think for Japan a land vacation is really the best way to see that country so that is what I've done for 2 trips so far and a 3rd one will be coming up soon.

Well if you have to have anytime dining then you are missing out on what I consider to be the gem of the Princess fleet, the Pacific Princess. Less than 700 passengers, 1 dining room, two seatings even for club class.. The best little ship afloat

Hate any time. Loved the Pacific Princess fixed. Dont want to wait with a beeper. Like the same waiters every night. Always get good table mates. Wouldnt care if some didnt show up.

Each to his own. Thats why they usually have both. Japanese prefer a more formal dining experience. They want an assigned time so Princess adjusts in the Asian market.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just returned from a back to back to back on the Diamond. I prefer fixed dining mainly because we get the same waiters who know our preferences by the second or third day. We had a 6-top with interesting companions. One was a German professor who had been a member of Parliament. If someone didn't show up for dinner, no big deal. One interesting thing about the Diamond when home ported in Yokohama is that we Americans, who are used to being in the majority on cruises are firmly in the minority. I think some of the rules are different on that ship in deferring to the Japanese customers. For example, the next table over from us had Japanese only. One of the diners had a bottle of whiskey on the table every night just as I had a bottle of wine.

Well if you have to have anytime dining then you are missing out on what I consider to be the gem of the Princess fleet, the Pacific Princess. Less than 700 passengers, 1 dining room, two seatings even for club class.. The best little ship afloat

Oh yeah.....:):):)

Bob

are we really discussing the inability to adapt to fixed seating? best cruise ever was 60 days on the pacific princess with the same 8 people every night...absolutely nothing in common but we closed down the dining room EVERY night and even had other diners and wait staff stopping by to join in our conversations...guess what——when you step out of your comfort box you can learn alot...especially when everyone is from a different country, religion, age, and background...be thankful!

Most of us who get out these days have found that we live in what has become a homogeneous world. In a typical day we may come in contact with people from other countries, different races, different religious beliefs and political leanings. Most of us were raised to accept all people-- even if the shade of their skin differed from ours.

Yes, I hear there still are certain "country clubs" where "Blacks, Jews, and Gays" are not welcome. But that's CERTAINLY NOT the attitude one should expect on a cruise. I am a citizen (born & raised) of The United States of America, and my best traditional dining experience was a 15 night dining table I shared with a widow from Switzerland, a couple from Australia and a retired, career USA Army Veteran. There were three different generations at the table. There wasn't anything awkward or uncomfortable-- other than learning to remember each others names the first evening.

Also, at least in polite society, people know better than to dicuss politics or religion at the dinner table. On another cruise, when I became part of a group of 8 - 12 individuals and couples from diverse socio-economic backgrounds and demographics, something I said prompted a respone from another: "Personally I do not believe that Global Warming is real...." I remained silent as I nodded to acknowledge I heard her comment, while I thought to myself: "Oh how wrong, based on my beliefs. But I like this couple and want to continue enjoying time together. We just need to avoid this subject and instead talk about the many other things that have so far made us laugh together."

Perhaps, OP, you did not really mean those words you typed. But if so, then perhaps a few rounds of golf at the club are a better fit than a cruise.

Haha very funny, what a joke!

To be perfectly honest I can speak fluent Japanese and would have much preferred to dine with them. I had more fun talking to and making friends with Japanese people on the ship and it would have been great if we could have all gone to the main dining together at anytime like is available on all other cruises.

Perhaps you are living in a dream world totally not understanding where I am coming from!

Keep the traditional dining, it is the tradition of cruising.

We like a table of 6 to 8 in the MDR, 1st sitting. Like to keep to traditions.:cool: Dinner in the MDR with same table mates and same waiters is a highlight of the day for us and fairly necessary as I am Coeliac - GF, having to order my meal the previous evening. Thus they know where to find me at traditional dining. No lining up or missing out. Way to go. Sure if we missed our sitting because of a late tour we would go eat in the Horizon Court, no problems.

If Princess abolished traditional fixed time dining then many traditional cruisers would depart Princess I reckon.:halo:

But I can understand why some pax like ADT, same as some like a table for 2. But not for us. Standby for incoming.

Edited by NSWP

:)

Huh? I personally think that this is one of the best parts of cruising; meeting people from all over the world of what you stated above.

Bob

Then why is it that with many people who can speak multiple languages, like I speak Japanese, make Japanese friends on all those cruises I go on, the rules prevent us from dining together in the main dining room because anytime dining has been abolished. Any specialty restaurant is fine but my peeve is the segregation of Japanese and English speaking guests.

On another note I also go on holidays to enjoy a break from some things. There are some political issues regarding some countries that I just do not care about and do not want to hear about. There is a country I will not name that has a new leader and I have made it a general rule not to read or watch any political news from that country, not to read or listen to or watch any news about that leaders family or absolutely anything to do with that country politically because it has become such a media circus. I am just not interested in that sort of garbage on my holidays. With all the division you see on social media these days about left and right wing extremists, I just do not want to hear about political garbage on my holiday. What is wrong with that?

Keep the traditional dining, it is the tradition of cruising.

We like a table of 6 to 8 in the MDR, 1st sitting. Like to keep to traditions.:cool: Dinner in the MDR with same table mates and same waiters is a highlight of the day for us. No lining up or missing out. Way to go.

If Princess abolished traditional fixed time dining then many traditional cruisers would depart Princess I reckon.:halo:

We "reckon" not :). Perhaps we are not traditional cruisers but have been doing an awful lot of cruising (over 100 cruises...1000 days) since the 70s. We have also cruised on 14 different lines. To the best of my knowledge all the mass market lines have adopted some kind of open sitting option...and on our cruises the open sitting seems to be more popular than fixed. Consider Princess with 3 MDRs on many ships. Only one is completely dedicated to Fixed with another sometimes used for the overflow from those who want early Fixed. But by 7:30 that MDR is open to anyone. Bottom line is that more than half Princess cruisers opt for open sitting. On Celebrity, the largest portion of the MDR (the lower level) is for Open Dining while the smaller upper level is for Fixed. But as Open Diners we have sometimes been led up the stairs to occupy empty tables in the Fixed area.

HAL, which is about as traditional as you can get, was one of the last to adopt Open Sitting. For a long time they still did not have Open sitting on their longest (and most expensive) Grand cruises...but even this policy fell by the wayside and they now have Open sitting on all their sailings.

DW and I gave up on Fixed dining a few years ago when, on a RCI cruise, our Fixed table of 8 was often nearly empty because others were dining in the Lido or alternative restaurants. And its the same on Celebrity. Sit at a Fixed table of 8...and you are liable to have many empty seats as diners gravitate to some of the many alternative restaurants.

I will admit to missing the old traditional way of cruising when we all had Fixed dining. But times change and that kind of dining is going the way of Formal wear on most cruises (and I still do wear a Tux when appropriate). I do not like all the changes, but understand that one must change with the times.

Hank

[...]I am just not interested in that sort of garbage on my holidays. With all the division you see on social media these days about left and right wing extremists, I just do not want to hear about political garbage on my holiday. What is wrong with that?

What is wrong is that the desire to avoid being confronted with any of the "differences" among us has, based on the tone of the opening post, degenerated into pretty harsh xenophobia. Confirmed by the opposing sentiments in the above post #23: making friends from a nation whose language one speaks but intentionally avoiding all persons from another unnamed nation for fear of their political beliefs.