"free" cruise packages

gfuller

We were given a "free" 3 night cruise package when we purchased a new car. We had to send in $50. per person to register for information. Now they want $90. per person for us to select a date and then, based on the date we pick, could have an additional surcharge. Plus we have to pay our own air to the port. Anyone have any experience with this type of trip?

Some years ago there was a company off-shore sending out cards stating a "free trip" first you had to call a long distance number that would rack up $$ for them, then the "extra" charges began.

Your tripis not "free" and I would demand any money spent be returned, go thru this car dealership.

Agreed about going through the dealership. If nothing else, they should be able to give you some credit towards oil/lube or regular maintainance. They probably already know the deal with their "free" cruise. If that doesn't work, try the local TV station if they have a consumer advocate. Sounds like the kind of story that they would like.

Has the "free" company mentioned the ship or cruise line? Friend of mine got a free 3 night to the Bahamas. Don't know if there were any fees or surcharges but it consisted of:

• A boat ride to a "resort" on a Bahama Island. (No cabin, just the ride)
  • 3 nights at the "resort"
  • You've heard of all-inclusive? Think exactly the opposite. Home of the $6.00 hamburger. Fries are extra.
  • Nothing nearby. No way to leave until the "cruise ship" returns.

Keep us posted on how this turns out. I love a good mystery.

Charlie

Our bank was giving away a "free" 2-night weekend at a Brand name hotel recently for new customers. I asked for the brochure just to see what "free" was. First you had to send $50 deposit -- non-refundable if you did not travel. Then you had to choose 3 different dates -- all more than 2 weeks apart. They would pick one (if available). You could not do more than 90 days in advance. You must do more than 30 days in advance. You picked one a many cities, but you could not choose the location. Most were major cities that would have several of these hotels. You did not get to choose which hotel location, just the city. I would rather just get a "free toaster" ;-)

We were given a "free" cruise when we toured a time-share. Never did take it because, like you, we had to send in money and pick a date. Then they would tell us which ship and if that date was available. There was no phone number or e-mail to contact them, only a mailing address. Money (for "port charges and taxes") was due within 30 days. I mailed them a letter, asking them how much it would cost to add a 3/4th person (kids) and asking them what dates were available but never heard back.

A friend of mine bought a time-share in Mexico and was given a free 7 day cruise (to anywhere, she said they told her:) ). After trying to make reservations several times, she, too, had to give up.

It's too bad that you've already sent in $50. I would complain to the car dealership, like the previous poster recommended. Certainly, they can afford to give you $50 back or $50 towards service, at least.

I attended my first Bullcrap Trendwest or West Trend Time share seminar and I went because they offered me the 3 day cruise also, after a 3 hour hostile seminar because we said hell no, we finally got our Cruise Gift and we sent in for it and booked the 25 Feb 2005 cruise out of Long beach, I think it was on the Paradise. Anyways this Travel company was out of Canada, I could never reach them on the phone, someone was always out of the office etc. after sending them the 249.00 they requested, finally 1 month before the cruise date I was able to talk to someone, they gave me this excuse that the person that had my account was fired etc, and lost my paper work, and that the 25th Feb Cruise was out and that I could re-sked to a later date and or had 1 year to re-sked, I told them that was BULL and and already my Vacation was Screwed, I then told them to just give me a Refund asap. They surely did. Dont waste your time with these free Cruise gifts.

Hi,

don´t trust anybody who tells you, you get something "free".... you always have to pay for!

We have some of these "free holiday" companies here in Europe too - and I tried to check out all the hidden costs.

I have to learn - its never free! Often you pay more for this free holiday trip in comparsion to book the same trip with a well known travel company.

And you have the risk: If anything is going bad - you have no chance to sue them - because: you paid nothing for the trip (hotel, transport or so) to these companies - you just pay fees! And they are not responsible for mistakes, the hotels or drivers or anybody else made...

Have a nice day

Wendy

Has the "free" company mentioned the ship or cruise line? Friend of mine got a free 3 night to the Bahamas. Don't know if there were any fees or surcharges but it consisted of:

• A boat ride to a "resort" on a Bahama Island. (No cabin, just the ride)
  • 3 nights at the "resort"
  • You've heard of all-inclusive? Think exactly the opposite. Home of the $6.00 hamburger. Fries are extra.
  • Nothing nearby. No way to leave until the "cruise ship" returns.

Keep us posted on how this turns out. I love a good mystery.

Charlie

A guy I worked with a couple of years ago had something similiar.

I remember him telling me about the resort. "Nothing near by" was right !!! They had to take a cab to get anywhere and it cost them a fortune.

The cruise part was also just a "boat ride to the Bahamas". No cabin.

I entered a drawing at a local art and wine festival a couple years ago, for a 'free' weekend cruise on Carnival. Sure enough, they called me a few days later.

I was brutal and asked them all kinds of questions that I'm sure the average person doesn't ask. Turns out the port charges were close to $300, and they were only going to Ensenada. Needless to say, I gave them a firm "no thank you" and an even more firm "and don't call me again."

Sure hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. If nothing else, it's a lesson learned.

T

Car dealerships aren't going to give away free cruises -- I promise you there's some fine print that says something about "fees".
My personal suspicion is that the dealership paid little or nothing for the certificates. The "travel agency" (term used with apologies to all real travel agencies, agents, their families and pets) probably gave them to the agency in order to get the fees, service charges and maybe a kickback from the "cruise line" (more apologies).

Charlie

We have lots of similar "free" offers in the UK, not just for cruises. The general rule of thumb is - if it looks too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.

• 3 weeks later...

First, I have to clarify that the newspaper ad said "A four day Carribbean Cruise with every new car Purchase". The ad did not say free. The salesperson said it was free with just port charges and several customers had used it and had a great time.

Two weeks ago, I wrote the travel company after their second request for money and told them we were misled and decided not to participate and would they please refund our $100.00 already sent. I said we were not happy that there were so few details and no phone number or email to contact. I reminded them of a clause in the fine print about 30 days to cancel any contract.

I sent a copy to the car dealer and to the better business bureau. I stated that I thought the vacation deal was not as great as they were leading their customers to believe.

Much to our shock, we received a refund check today for $100. No letter, nor explanation, just a check.

Never heard from the car dealer at all.

Archived