Which Airport and Why? Ft Laud or Miami?

legalwife

Hello to All:

Sailing from Miami. Some of you fly to Ft Laud. and drive to Miami Port. Why?

We can fly to either airport for same cost. Just wondering why some of you prefer Miami and some of you prefer Fort Lauderdale?

Flying in on day of cruise more than likely and may stay one day after. Not sure yet.

Just wondering if one airport is better than other?

Any thoughts?

Thanks alot.

Depending upon the area you are flying from, flying into Ft. Lauderdale can be cheaper than flying into Miami, and visa versa.

My parents had to fly into Miami one time when sailing from Ft. Lauderdale simply because they booked a last minute cruise and all the flights into and out of Ft. Lauderdale were booked solid.

Depends upon your situation.

Hello to All:

Sailing from Miami. Some of you fly to Ft Laud. and drive to Miami Port. Why?

We can fly to either airport for same cost. Just wondering why some of you prefer Miami and some of you prefer Fort Lauderdale?

Flying in on day of cruise more than likely and may stay one day after. Not sure yet.

Just wondering if one airport is better than other?

Any thoughts?

Thanks alot.

Cost is usually the difference and can be significant

but you say that doesn't apply - so fly to Miami

it is easier to get to Port of Miami from Miami Airport than Ft L

but be warned - Miami Airport can be quite the international experience!

:eek:

you can spit on the port from Miami International

true, it is no more difficult to take a cab from Ft Lauderdale but it is going to be a longer ride and that suggests more expensive. What is it, 20 miles? Depending on the day of the week and time you may find yourself on I95 'twixt Miami and Lauderdale and that can be a very very unhappy place to be. I don't like to begin vacations sitting in grid locked expressways.

my preference is to board in lauderdale and fly to/from that airport a skip mia all together

but that wasn't the question

(Lived 9 years in south Dade county and visit for bus' about once a month now)

If you are sailing from Miami and the fare is not higher to fly in there I would definately fly into Miami. Make sure you add lots of extra time as the airport is a zoo. I found many airports in third world countries that are better run than MIA.

Good luck.

mcboo

When i sail from Mia and the airfare to FLL is $130pp to fly there it is by far cheaper to take the cheaper airflight and get a limo.

If the fares are the same price to fly into MIA for a cruise out of MIA then I would be flyinginto MIA --its only 20 minutes away by cab.

But if the cruise is out of FLL and air is the same... that is where I will be flying into. $$ speaks.. I go where its cheaper.

Sometimes I have to stop for a moment and consider how great it is that we can ask questions via internet and get great answers. How convenient a luxury that we constantly take for granted! :)

Thanks so much for the good info. We do sail out of Miami and have been watching air fare sales and MIA and FLL are same.

Could be a life changing experience, but will plan to fly out of Miami. Will bring sunglasses for massive people watching, if we have time while getting through the airport. Sounds, ah, interesting and quite a bit ominous.

Thanks so much for the advice.

As others have indicated, many of us fly into FLL because it is cheaper, especially from the Northeast where airlines like JetBlue and Spirit offer discount fares. We also like it because it is less of a zoo than MIA.

However, given that the fare is the same. I would fly into MIA if you don't plan to rent a car. If you do, thern consider FLL. It is smaller and easier.

looks like a good essay question for the SATs! :D

Miami is like Atlanta in the tons of people..unfortunately there aren't trams to move you around...but you won't be changing flights. Just an in and an out....but there will be a ton of international passengers bustling about.:cool:

what's different in Miami?

Well for starters English is often not the most common language.

The Miami airport is the gateway to the islands, Latin and South America - LOTS of islanders and South Americans who can at times exhibit a slightly different attitude than your typical, say, midwesterner. Add a smattering of the very rich (or want you to believe they are) on their way to/from South Beach... And the regular dumping of a few thousand cruise passengers either trying to get to their ship, or trying to get home and you can have a really really interesting cosmopolitan experience!

Expect the cabbie and the person at the fast food counter to speak Spanish - maybe only a few words of English. Don't be surprised if you get to thinking you accidentally overshot Miami airport and actually landed in Brazil.....

Don't be afraid of it...but don't be put off or surprised either. Remember, you are on vacation! :p

{just hope the weather doesn't go bad somewhere else on the east coast...cuz if flights get cancelled anywhere on the east coast, it impacts MIA - as it does ATL. and cruisers wanting to get home is not a good bunch to mess with:eek: }

On you way home get there early enough to check in and then head to La Carretta for a Cuban Sandwich some fried plantains and a Malta and know you've added to your overall experience. ;)

FLL ALL THE WAY! Miami airport is the pits. I have been to many Caribbean airports that have it better together than Miami. Miami airport should have the slogan, "A Taste Of The Third World In Your Own Backyard." Anyway, that is my little rant. :)

We have done both and I don't have a preference as far the airport itself is concerned. We were able to use the facilities at the Miami Airport Hotel pool for a small fee when we had a later flight which made it appealing. We also were able to use the international United Airlines Red Carpet lounge there which is very nice (good snacks and open bar). Our waiter from the cruise was flying out of mia the same day which was interesting to see him in a different environment. We had no problems with Ft. Lauderdale either. Whichever is more convenient or cheaper including transportation is the one to take.

Thanks again to all.

Since we sail out of Miami, and now I have to try the cuban sandwich, I guess Miami it is. We are renting a car but at end of cruise for one day so that won't help in beginning.

We shall live the excitement of Miami. I have never been to Brazil and this may be the closest I get. Must practice my "Coochee Coochee" as wasn't Charro from Brazil?? Can't remember. She used to say that. Maybe you don't remember her! 48 years may be showing on me...

Love all the comments and thanks again.

Our cruise is leaving from Fort Lauderdale but because of scheduling, we are flying into MIA, arriving about 11:45. What is the best way to get to Port Everglades? I was thinking about taking the Super Shuttle, but I don't know how often that leaves for Port Everglades. Someone on this post mentioned taking a taxi--isn't that expensive? Any suggestions would be helpful!

I may be wrong, but I believe you could rent car from Alamo, take free Alamo airport shuttle to Alamo pick up location near by, drive car to FLL and turn in at Alamo location there, then catch free shuttle to FLL pier.

Check that out at Alamo.com. You may want to even call to verify shuttles but I think I am right.

Good luck and have fun.

Archived