First time Cruise for 3 families

partyof12

I am new to this site and originally posted this question under Navigator of the Seas. However, I think this is a better location for my question. We are 3 families of 4 - 6 adults, 5 teens (13 - 17) and a 20 year old - going on our first cruise together this July. We will be stopping in San Juan, St. Martin, Nassau, and St. Thomas. We are an active group and are looking forward to seeing the various sights. However, we are not sure if we should pre-book some of the tours, or just wait until we are on the ship. Also, since we will be in port for such a sort time, not sure which are the best tours. Any recommendations and advise would really be appreciated! :)

Thanks, Christa

First off, you will have a great time. I cruised with a group of family/friends last year and will always treasure that time.

My main suggestion would be to not expect to stay together as a group. Let each family choose their own activity, you will never get that many people to agree on the same thing. Plus, it gives you more to talk to each other about at dinner. The sea days are the times you will spend together. If you try to force the group together at all times, it can wear the nerves very thin.

Have fun planning, visit the ports of call boards here to find out more regarding the port stops you will be making.

Just to add, pre-book your plans, but be flexible in case your cruise itinerary changes. This does not happen too often, but it can happen. Another thing, don't plan your activities too tightly, give yourselves vacation time during the vacation.

The RCL website will tell you if there is limited capacity, if so you might want to book on-line for those if it's something you really want to do. Check to see what their cancellation policy is. You might want to change your mind based on the weather, etc. We have booked through the cruise line and also done tours on our own. Cruise line prices are higher, but they have checked out the tour companies for safety, etc., and they will wait for you if your tour is delayed. Carnival even refunded the full price of an excursion when things didn't go well. If you go on your own, just be sure you get back to the ship at the specified time.

I am new to this site and originally posted this question under Navigator of the Seas. However, I think this is a better location for my question. We are 3 families of 4 - 6 adults, 5 teens (13 - 17) and a 20 year old - going on our first cruise together this July. We will be stopping in San Juan, St. Martin, Nassau, and St. Thomas. We are an active group and are looking forward to seeing the various sights. However, we are not sure if we should pre-book some of the tours, or just wait until we are on the ship. Also, since we will be in port for such a sort time, not sure which are the best tours. Any recommendations and advise would really be appreciated! :)

Thanks, Christa

I would say that if you would like to do 1 or two things all together research it and decide now. You can pre-book or wait until you are on the ship - but decide before you go. I have gone on several cruises with large family groups, and it is fun to do some things together. It provides more memories for you as a group. But it is VERY DIFFICULT to find the time to talk and decide with such a big group once you are on the ship. Everyone will be excited and wanting to see and do things on the ship.

Two more thoughts, with a big group like that you might be able to get a discount by booking directly with tour operators rather than the ship. And your group might have a hard time finding space if you wait too late to book.

Have you downloaded the shore excursions from the cruise website? Start there and look at all the possibilities. If you have questions about a particular tour, ask here on the boards. Ask on your cruise line board and on the board for the particular island. Or you can search the boards and see if anyone has started a thread about the same excursions.

In St Thomas we used http://www.godfreytoursvi.com for 20 bucks a person you will get to do it all- shopping, tour of the whole island plus 2 hours at the beach.

I also agree with Kathy; I suggest that each family does their own thing on their own. By trying to get every tone together all week will be nerve wracking by the end.

The first time we cruised, we felt pressured to book excursions ahead of time. We have discovered that it is perfectly feasible/reasonable to do it once on board. It helps to be able to ask questions from the staff and to get more detailed info on exactly what to expect. We have also found that it helps to talk to other passengers about what they know about the ports,etc. It is very easy to find fun places to go, just hire a cab on your own and do your own thing, for a much lower price. We did just that recently in Barbados and fully enjoyed our day. We also met people from other docked ships (English) who were going to the same beach and enjoyed our time with them, sharing a cab to the beach. One suggestion, if you have a choice, find a cab with A/C. Depending on how long the ride is, it can get hot, as the cabbies pack the cabs pretty tightly. Sometimes, the cabs look nice from the outside(Mercedes, etc.), but that doesn't guarantee a 'cool' interior! Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful time.:)

The first time we cruised, we felt pressured to book excursions ahead of time. We have discovered that it is perfectly feasible/reasonable to do it once on board. It helps to be able to ask questions from the staff and to get more detailed info on exactly what to expect. We have also found that it helps to talk to other passengers about what they know about the ports,etc. It is very easy to find fun places to go, just hire a cab on your own and do your own thing, for a much lower price. We did just that recently in Barbados and fully enjoyed our day. We also met people from other docked ships (English) who were going to the same beach and enjoyed our time with them, sharing a cab to the beach. One suggestion, if you have a choice, find a cab with A/C. Depending on how long the ride is, it can get hot, as the cabbies pack the cabs pretty tightly. Sometimes, the cabs look nice from the outside(Mercedes, etc.), but that doesn't guarantee a 'cool' interior! Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful time.smile.gif

Go to the Ports of Call boards to get some ideas on what you want to do.

Keep in mind there are a lot of people in this group. Everyone does not have to do everything together. If everyone decides on the same excursion, great, but don't count on this happening at every port.

There is nothing worse than going on a vacation and feeling obligated to do what everyone else decides on. Lay the ground rules up front.

Something else to consider are the teens. They may not want to do what the adults do. Keep them in the loop when looking at excursions. Find out what they would like to do. Having sulking teens on an excursion is not fun for anyone.

As others have stated you do not have to take ship excursions.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived