I'm cancelling my Freedom cruise

okgirl

I have a question about cancelling my cruise.

I have insurance, but since Carnival isn't cancelling the 9/2 sailing of the Freedom and my insurance doesn't pay for cancel for any reason, I'm wondering what refund if any I will get.

I prepaid my gratuities ($181.30), taxes and fees ($190.32), Cheers ($689.32).

When I call to cancel will those monies be refunded or am I just out the entire amount?

Don't be so sure it won't be cancelled as travel is still a bit treacherous. I thought my insurance wouldn't cover my cruise (before Carnival cancelled it) and it turned out it would because of the tropical storm/hurricane in the area - make sure you check

Your gratuities, taxes, and Cheers will be refunded. I would call the Fun Shops to cancel Cheers now, though.

Thanks for the info.

I just talked to the Fun Shops to cancel Cheers.

It's been a busy morning, my flight was cancelled. I just cancelled my hotel, parking, car rental, and had my Seamiles OBC refunded.

Everyone that I've talked to has been very helpful and all cancellation fees have been waived.

I feel so bad for everyone in the Houston area and think it will be a long time to get back to normal.

I think the ships will be back in Galveston by the weekend and sail shortened itineraries. But it's to far to go and to much stress to deal with all of this right now.

I would probably feel different if I was a new cruiser, but this was going to be our 40th cruise, so we've learned to just roll with the circumstances.

Thanks for the info.

I just talked to the Fun Shops to cancel Cheers.

It's been a busy morning, my flight was cancelled. I just cancelled my hotel, parking, car rental, and had my Seamiles OBC refunded.

Everyone that I've talked to has been very helpful and all cancellation fees have been waived.

I feel so bad for everyone in the Houston area and think it will be a long time to get back to normal.

I think the ships will be back in Galveston by the weekend and sail shortened itineraries. But it's to far to go and to much stress to deal with all of this right now.

I would probably feel different if I was a new cruiser, but this was going to be our 40th cruise, so we've learned to just roll with the circumstances.

Bummer you won't be going, but I can understand too. Are you able to use that money towards another cruise or did you lose the fare?

Bummer you won't be going, but I can understand too. Are you able to use that money towards another cruise or did you lose the fare?

No, they won't let anybody transfer that money unless or until they cancel the cruise which I really don't think will happen. The highways are starting to clear and Carnival is still saying the ships will get back over the weekend.

I'll be getting refunds on all my prepaid stuff and that's nearly $1200.00. I'll use that money to pay off my February cruise. So that's kind of a win.

My cruise fare was only $886, so I think I'll wait to cancel the actual booking until at least Friday.

No, they won't let anybody transfer that money unless or until they cancel the cruise which I really don't think will happen. The highways are starting to clear and Carnival is still saying the ships will get back over the weekend.

I'll be getting refunds on all my prepaid stuff and that's nearly $1200.00. I'll use that money to pay off my February cruise. So that's kind of a win.

My cruise fare was only $886, so I think I'll wait to cancel the actual booking until at least Friday.

Well if they are making the cruises shorter, I would think they would give you the option to cancel without penalty. But yeah, might as well wait at this point as it won't make a difference unless it's in your favor.

If you are going to lose the base fare no matter what (ie: cancel or no show) I would absolutely only cancel at the very last minute if at all. You never know what might be offered when the time comes and it would stink to cancel it yourself, only to find out if you waited another day, it would have been refunded. Happy future cruising.

I would not be so hasty to cancel unless you have a time before scheduled departure you must cancel to get anything back. See if Carnival cancel or announces a shortened itinerary; you may get more back claiming trip interruption through insurance than just canceling. And you may have a case based on canceled flights; Houston is declared a federal disaster area. I'm not a trip insurance expert but that may bolster your claim even if the ship were to sail; you have insurance and a national carrier can not get you to the ship.

I suspect Carnival will have to cancel some cruises even after the Galveston port is opened because no one will be able to re-supply the ships given the state of things there.
Time will tell. Never underestimate Texas.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Curious as to the reason you are cancelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My flight and hotel has been cancelled, by the carriers....so I don't have anywhere to stay.........I'm not willing to drive 10+ hours to get there........I don't think they will be cruising on Saturday and I'm not willing to go that far for a shortened itinerary.

So, in the big scheme of things.........after 39 cruises, I think cancelling one is not such a big deal. I've got 2 scheduled next year and with the pre-paid stuff that I'm getting refunded, I can probably book a 3rd for next year.

My PVP is telling me not to do anything until Friday, they may still offer some concession with transferring credits or something by then, since Galveston may still not be open by the weekend.

My flight and hotel has been cancelled, by the carriers....so I don't have anywhere to stay.........I'm not willing to drive 10+ hours to get there........I don't think they will be cruising on Saturday and I'm not willing to go that far for a shortened itinerary.

So, in the big scheme of things.........after 39 cruises, I think cancelling one is not such a big deal. I've got 2 scheduled next year and with the pre-paid stuff that I'm getting refunded, I can probably book a 3rd for next year.

My PVP is telling me not to do anything until Friday, they may still offer some concession with transferring credits or something by then, since Galveston may still not be open by the weekend.

Understand, thanks for the reply. Hope the next one works out for you better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have insurance, but since Carnival isn't cancelling the 9/2 sailing of the Freedom and my insurance doesn't pay for cancel for any reason, I'm wondering what refund if any I will get.

When I call to cancel will those monies be refunded or am I just out the entire amount?

You will get the extras back Plus your pre paid grats.

The fact that the effects of this storm were not reasonably foreseeable at the time that you purchased your cruise would seem to work in your favor. This is assuming that you didn't purchase it after the potential impact of the storm was announced. Does you insurance policy have a inclement weather clause? I would check it out. After seeing what the region is going through I really don't blame your for wanting to cancel.

Regrettably, I wouldn't foster an expectation about that. Insurance companies are typically fastidious about sticking to the terms and conditions of the policy. Insurers offer Cancel for Any Reason insurance, which is specifically intended for situations like this. I would expect them to cover a cancellation for a reason not covered by a policy that didn't have Cancel for Any Reason coverage included. And if they do decide to cover any part of the loss, I would feel very lucky and be very grateful.

Call Carnival or your travel agent instead of soliciting conjecture on a web forum.

Well, everything has worked out like my PVP had hoped it would.

Since my flights were cancelled by the airline, Carnival is giving me my monies back in the form of a FCC. I'll use it to pay off my February cruise, so all is good.

Well, everything has worked out like my PVP had hoped it would.

Since my flights were cancelled by the airline, Carnival is giving me my monies back in the form of a FCC. I'll use it to pay off my February cruise, so all is good.

Sad that you couldn't cruise, but at least you didn't lose your money. Thanks for the update!