Unwanted pseudo-upgrade

dns65

Annoyed at Princess. Booked a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Ruby for February and specifically chose R746 as it is the last cabin on that deck and has the large angled balcony. Booked the same cabin on the same cruise 2 years ago and was looking forward to having this cabin again.

Today I found out I was "upgraded" to a B1 category ordinary balcony on Caribe. I have asked to get my original cabin back. I don't consider being taken out of a different style cabin and being put into a standard balcony cabin an upgrade. I specifically chose this cabin for the balcony design and the location near the aft pool.

I had received another "upgrade" some years ago to a location 4 cabins from the front of the ship. I didn't consider that an upgrade and thought that I had my profile marked to not upgrade me. But I can't seem to find the ability to do that online. I have no problem with a true upgrade but this is a downgrade into a standard cabin, i don't care that it's mid ship. I want my original cabin choice back.

What are my chances of them giving me my original cabin back? Looking for input from others on what their experience has been.

Edited by dns65

Annoyed at Princess. Booked a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Ruby for February and specifically chose R746 as it is the last cabin on that deck and has the large angled balcony. Booked the same cabin on the same cruise 2 years ago and was looking forward to having this cabin again.

Today I found out I was "upgraded" to a B1 category ordinary balcony on Caribe. I have asked to get my original cabin back. I don't consider being taken out of a different style cabin and being put into a standard balcony cabin an upgrade. I specifically chose this cabin for the balcony design and the location near the aft pool.

I had received another "upgrade" some years ago to a location 4 cabins from the front of the ship. I didn't consider that an upgrade and thought that I had my profile marked to not upgrade me. But I can't seem to find the ability to do that online. I have no problem with a true upgrade but this is a downgrade into a standard cabin, i don't care that it's mid ship. I want my original cabin choice back.

What are my chances of them giving me my original cabin back? Or can I get a "true" upgrade out of this to an aft balcony cabin or mini-suite? Looking for input from others on what their experience has been.

I'm not sure you can mark your profile with "do not upgrade". But when you make an actual reservation, you can put that note on it. Sometimes it works.

You need to call Princess to mark your cabin no upgrade.

I had received anothert "upgrade" some years ago to a location 4 cabins from the front of the ship. I didn't consider that an upgrade and thought that I had my profile marked to not upgrade me. But I can't seem to find the ability to do that online. I have no problem with a true upgrade but this is a downgrade into a standard cabin, i don't care that it's mid ship. I want my original cabin choice back.

A Caribe balcony is actually a pretty good upgrade. But, if you call within 48 hours, you should be able to get your cabin back.

What are my chances of them giving me my original cabin back? Or can I get a "true" upgrade out of this to an aft balcony cabin or mini-suite?

Why would they give you yet another upgrade? Chances of that are very slim.

Looking for input from others on what their experience has been.

See comments above.

Call them. You might be able to get the original cabin back, give it a shot at least.

I've already called but didn't get a sense that I'll be able to get it back based on speaking with the person on the phone. They were vague, said she filled out a form requesting to get my cabin back and to check back in 24-48 hours

I've already called but didn't get a sense that I'll be able to get it back based on speaking with the person on the phone. They were vague, said she filled out a form requesting to get my cabin back and to check back in 24-48 hours

hopefully you got past the person that originally answered the call, and spoke directly with customer relations, right?

i did have a no upgrade on my reservation and still received an upgrade which i dont want. i called princess and was switched to a gentleman named Bruce in the resolutions dept. he said my original cabin was pulled from inventory for an unspecified reason and therefore not available to me. the new cabin assignment was cat BB upgrade from BD but much further from the elevators. i chose my original cabin for its location close to the elevator. my sailing is this saturday royall princess, i guess i will never know why i was moved.

Having sailed on a sister ship in the cabin next to your original one, I would definitely consider a Caribe Deck balcony on Ruby Princess an upgrade. That larger partially covered balcony on Caribe is great.

If you can't get your original cabin back, then ask to see what other cabins in your new category are available. You might get one in a more preferred location on the deck, and movement within a category doesn't cost anything.

Just keep calling. Another rep may have a different response.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you use a TA? He/she will handle this for you. Your booking should've been marked your booking as "will accept no upgrade" or will only a "meta upgrade" to the next class of cabins (i.e. - balcony upgraded to mini-suite). Caribe balconies are great IMO with a much deeper balcony than those on Riviera.

I had the same thing happen to me. The "gentleman" was the rudest princess employee that I had ever talked to. Anyway, he filled out the paperwork but in the meantime, i went to their comment page. There is no place for this type of issue so I used "Post Cruise Comments" and gave them an earful. 2 days later I was back in my original cabin which I only noticed because I checked the website. Then I called and confirmed and also had them verify that once again, I wanted no upgrade. Give it a shot.

Two comments

Bookings are automatically treated as "upgrades accepted." You must specifically have your booking marked "no upgrade." This can not be done on line. The T.A., or yourself if booked directly, must communicate this to Princess.

The Caribe deck balcony cabin you received is a great cabin. The interior is the same as the cabin you booked. The balcony is very large, 9' x 9' with 5' covered and 4' uncovered. It is in a great location mid ship and lower for less movement.

Two comments

Bookings are automatically treated as "upgrades accepted." You must specifically have your booking marked "no upgrade." This can not be done on line. The T.A., or yourself if booked directly, must communicate this to Princess.

The Caribe deck balcony cabin you received is a great cabin. The interior is the same as the cabin you booked. The balcony is very large, 9' x 9' with 5' covered and 4' uncovered. It is in a great location mid ship and lower for less movement.

The cabin in question is somewhat unique in that the orientation of the balcony faces forward on the ship. Also, it is a very large triangular balcony cut into the bulkhead of the ship. I specifically chose this balcony due to the unique design, there are only 3 or 4 cabin like this on the ship versus an entire deck of the Caribe balcony style. Some links below showing this balcony design

One thing I neglected to mention is they have also split me up from my family as they had the cabin next to mine.

https://cdn.cruisecritic.com/aW1hZ2VzL3VzZXItaW1hZ2VzLzU2MTkzY2ViYjM5OTIwMDYxNTYxNDkuanBn/eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTg4fQ/crown-princess-princess-3980.jpg

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/crown-princess-347/member-3/16626/

I hope it works out for you. I can understand you being upset, I would be.

We were traveling with family a few years ago, and had three cabins in a row (two of which were connecting as they have two small children) and marked do not upgrade. At the pier we checked in and were told of the cabin change for our cabin. In this case we went from an inside to a handicap accessible balcony just down the hall. Of course a welcome upgrade, but it has always made me wonder since then about the effectiveness of marking a reservation do no upgrade. These three reservations were all booked through Princess direct and cross referenced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same crap happened to me. I called immediately and was told I had to wait 24hrs. No way, how about a simple room change? No problem, got my old room back and requested no room upgrades. BTW if you can grab room R-747. Same balcony, better view. You will thank me when pulling out of Cabo!

Called back and was told that the people who had the cabin prior to me also were upgraded and declined the upgrade. So I can't get the cabin back and there are no more of this cabin config available. They can't waitlist you on a cabin, just a category so I won't be able to get this type of cabin.

Thanks to those who responded

I would be very disappointed with this as well and hope that a resolution is found. Not only is your original cabin a great cabin, it's a great location in proximity to the Terrace pool deck! Not to mention how upsetting to be separated from family! We were upgraded on the 2nd leg of a B2B to a Caribe balcony cabin from an interior cabin aft on the Riviera deck. We were super excited until we found we we not able to enjoy the balcony due to the screaming toddler on the balcony above and the loud talking neighbors in the cabins next door. Never again! I continually monitor my bookings despite being marked no upgrade to be sure my cabin assignment remains consistent with what I initially book. Good luck, I hope it works out!

VAcruizer, how can you tell in advance who your neighbors are going too be? Upgrade or not, that has nothing to do with it!

You can't know anything about who neighbors will be. The point I was making is that I'd never book or accept an upgrade to a balcony for fear of not being able to enjoy it due to habits of neighbors. This is my personal opinion which I realize differs from others. And, no, that was not the only time we've had a balcony cabin - never felt it was substantially than other cabins for my needs. I've never been on a cruise where I wasn't able to find a quiet outdoor space to enjoy solitude and the view.