Yet another dress code question

boblerm

This is NOT meant to be a discussion as to pros and cons of dress code, looking for info only!

I am going on a 7 day Caribbean cruise early next year, my first on SS. My understanding is that there will be 1 formal night, but I cannot find how many of the others are likely to be "informal" vs "casual". Is there a set pattern, or does it vary?

Also, as there are no days at sea on this cruise, is there any way of finding out ahead of time which night the formal night is likely to be? I would like to know this prior to dining reservation, as it may affect which venue I choose for that night. I cannot see this on My Silversea, although it is not impossible that I am missing it.

Thanks, Bob

Boblerm we are cruising two 7 day and a 10 day cruise back to back and we have passed the 120 day before sailing date this week. The ‘formal optional’ nights are showing on the ‘My activities’ page on the left hand side under the date. And yes, the information above is correct, the formal optional is the 2nd night on board.

The rest of the nights will probably be informal apart from the last night which is casual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 57 varieties

Bob,

Your first and last night will most definitely be casual.

As others have said, typically the 2nd night will be formal. Once you pass the 120-day pre-embarkation day mark, the word "formal" should appear on your MySilversea page under the day of the formal night.

Lastly, for most 7-day voyages, you will have 3 informal nights and 3 casual nights.

Hope this helps!

Many times I have found that no matter what they tell you in the pre cruise information it changes on board. They either add an extra formal night or delete one. Since I have long ago given up bringing a tux it doesn't much matter to me.

I just checked our Amazon cruise in November and we have successfully avoided making dinner reservations on formal nights. I hope the formal nights stay that way. We'll be eating in our Silver Suite on formal nights since we have only worn a tux and evening gown a few times ever, and we don't want to do it on vacation.

Ok, I have a silly question - on our upcoming Caribbean 7 day cruise, the second night is showing "Formal - optional". What does that mean? Obviously, for 7 days, with carry-on only luggage, we're not packing suits & evening gowns, I am confused what the "optional" qualifier was for (obviously, every formal night is "optional" by booking The Grill, etc.

Thanks for any insight.

Jan

Our 3 nights out of 16 were all marked as "Formal" and not "Formal - optional". If "optional" means the same thing on Silversea as it does on Regent, then you don't need a tux or evening gown, but you might see some people dressed like that.

Our 3 nights out of 16 were all marked as "Formal" and not "Formal - optional". If "optional" means the same thing on Silversea as it does on Regent, then you don't need a tux or evening gown, but you might see some people dressed like that.

Here is what I found on the Silversea web site:

On 7-day sailings or less, the formal night is per guest discretion. Meaning that while the ship will operate one formal night, appropriate formal evening wear is optional. A guideline for reference is below.

On sailings of 7 days or less, expect 1 formal night(dress optional).

On sailings of 8-9 days, expect 1 formal night.

On sailings of 10-14 days, expect 2 formal nights.

On sailings of 15 days and above, expect 3 formal nights.

As an aside, maybe it's just me, but finding this info on the SS web site was no easy task! First, I had to go down to the very bottom of the page, and find a link to "General Information". Then a link to "Setting Sail Guide". Next, click on the specific ship. In the Guide, under the table of contents I found "Packing Tips". And here, lo and behold, was the information I was looking for.:confused: Whew! Perhaps there is an easier way to get there, but not obvious to me.