Uploading pictures

CamMag

Carefreecruise, I see both of them now. I couldn't see any of the others. Google Photos doesn't work for me any more, though.

I think the only "simple" way to post pics is with a host that still allows direct links. Google Photos doesn't do that any more, unless you've found a workaround. I think most if not all of the free ones stopped doing this.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP thanks for checking on up loaded pictures. Only workaround is what I described above. From simple copy and paste to right clicking on a picture and copying URL address in properties. Then putting it in the picture link on cruise critics.

I guess it's a hit or miss with my two ways of posting pictures from Google Photos.

What pictures? Just teasing - lol..... both have appeared. ;-)

Les. Feel bad. You asked on what it was like starting a trip next to Tower Bridge. I posted two pictures of tower bridge open. One at night time and the other during an afternoon passing. Both were a real high and fell like c**p that the pictures never made it to your thread.

Edited by carefreecruise

Carefreecruise, this may be an obvious point which you've already checked, but are the sharing settings on the pictures which don't show up set to private? That could be why your trick works sometimes (for publicly viewable pictures) and doesn't work on other occasions (if it's set to private).

If you already know this, my apologies for thinking you didn't. I know that I've run afoul of that setting before. Plus, I'm bummed that I can't see your tower bridge shot!

Carefreecruise, this may be an obvious point which you've already checked, but are the sharing settings on the pictures which don't show up set to private? That could be why your trick works sometimes (for publicly viewable pictures) and doesn't work on other occasions (if it's set to private).

If you already know this, my apologies for thinking you didn't. I know that I've run afoul of that setting before. Plus, I'm bummed that I can't see your tower bridge shot!

JP, I did not know about Google Photos Private. I looked for a button but all I could find is that "all photos are set as private until you share them" So me just getting into properties and copying the link is not telling Google to share the photos. So I guess I will do another experiment. Since you asked about Tower Bridge I will use three of them to post here. I sent all three to myself first to make them public I hope my thinking is right.... Will use my method of clicking on the picture, then right-clicking to expose properties. Then copying link and placing it in "Picture upload button" on Cruise Critics.. OK here we go.....

Picture 1

wgk0ALfyQAzWWGA0KrnKI6DIdl9ly1ucvHXN0r5s6aNtEWYxulm5Lfp1crcaBld4In7TfvhJ8jBETA0i_L4pefJhWyhLhaf-R7WDFcEcRHGpFueKXGvILJ-pPZx23pCCBV13Jb7qaSwWOn72cSKuweh7BWjHAJwrNSX95oJ2ttEfKJ1NfGNFC5sp9qQZVTL5xsLPOuDuKMGVYp4u_uWDM0xhaqfPh23b3jQq5M6EWTkTFBPZe0ZF3OngVZXnfpLqy76ODneGC6iNYZEUQ1d61vZU87KXvBYPC-7c8TY3uAj8ePj84EjTcD2BNo8BnUVEqeR0yafxHWsEQhvUnyVZ_ZCDdij_dEUrT8nJb3YZOHIQZFiqlWc-q-CfWV6GBbooUiWWQxNN-E2TBY9fN3wgxmNkryLJLtr3QgBvmxeAVdhHowiZXX0_XbYGY9pm6mgGzLQ2MVUDt2LYjcAmCgxwyC4ZkkaaBr5tuAaAmF4HAf3EbbLidTlB76-AC-ZKgmW-PgDFVy-GZoxAdUsEHy5q_j_h3SyhxPRDNZEOOBfCk79-_qNEp6ov9raoE40yXPGrEVG_6LGYLQFT3hI9qKEqHAc4iHyY99g-J_zGEAFy7iiWh-_HXwOCbA=w1006-h566-no

Picture 2

fb2qQ0CRxj2Ns7pLigg0Knm8CiNoQKq5F7TbCN3kRZCFEr9bDfu6hkSMXBGTkIq4xVQmvyxOJSZYjvgPYb16BUb7bw46YfHOfWU0sGpL1PNC8xibg9uguyEFOiWj2q17xA6Ku5Rlci8wxnJJbEVi5UUt-kDdxpEcjO-Sjlwm6Ld8vgbGLygBTKKIxv4pVJi69rPK6zlPnhoEWbloN1jqExVDw-nYo7R8lleYHSDcZh5QM_L8Iv5A_L5SaV4t0WRRWjlIoVfoR0iiX1MpTifLYKszGkbOFMMej-CrR5MPxYusjY_WlWNztmUQOzmCUvHdsqWSGIS7qZAkX3_7gNHCuFLtHv_tG86wwEwbjB9mqkUnmdw_Z4oYHq2_In51uSK5ONTRXoDGZU72H0c4a_kNTmNUwzrbupOrxt3QJbAR5dmG0XHjb5uLJd9xOtVVVjh3OAWXyiD5vXJd0Rbt9OuUN6BfDeQMYN47NEJhoOSGFQlOr4Et_jIvNpWgcHyt4iKooDM-P_uTb2lBftbiEcaiS56t-GMuTIjJV4U-FaAUW4bJh3kSoApYvcS4k2q0p8F_IB4fHSF01aoOBsjLxwTs7v1Lv1cg06e6AS3XZ5Hys3uw9Riv4MuPwQ=w977-h651-no

Picture 3

hxlClj0JiPqjAx2aEhtk1eOvlnL5DI8rT_y21eQ6ymOTW-QImv8spE_otY0HR1gDyYPbceiJ_0VkK25VNbx1QhyPyTrS3TgBWL6_Kjl6E8gokElcej6kWJM1AAymdQ8cTYoYZ3TeIjOACEuY18mYQy_kEThRkmBJog69Xjr2S5Xw1o7HBavl2YH3PybOyo_4KoiIFEQUECNyLCkWWLqkB3h8QdXAT7nQYbirg4NrlN03T4fVxc8YbBMNv3srLAEt9-7uYcJ-r9ixZ-vma6wVN2BDpQBC0Huw8hpF3JnCcGUrvieir3Eed0OHUAHM4uzUVglbz7II3Tu1hBGf3klIPkIUCLQaqBjPTmlda8hK29X10mH82MZ8LSDBYbQSxdx9LOU3outnwU-KzhzJ2nfBzveoxdQIZFPPGSZeLuvbZW8EZi8NRz35AUF-kz3WdNxGBqfJjmuJorArssbNVXte632OkIS0SAEfc0PlCDEXOowF1Bzx52J-xm-GeGhAaV_WHB6UFc5XQoG_1r1i8qodGQ8xC_lMamQ7hWfECxMOshlACbCSMEV6wNtH9oZFrsB3egbYEnAxrC1xPA4W8CWLU1w_xGvnzS5XbClB6oANKh24BN8Lvljx2A=w977-h651-no

Well that's it... Don't know if you see three pictures above this text? I do but maybe you do not...

Still not showing!

Lol just kidding (again!)

Great piccies too..... My favs.

Were you in 702 by the looks? I did that journey in 701 but viewed from t'other end going through the bridge.

Still not showing!

Lol just kidding (again!)

Great piccies too..... My favs.

Were you in 702 by the looks? I did that journey in 701 but viewed from t'other end going through the bridge.

Your right 702. Only been on that side three times. All others times have been on the right side. Just FYI: the right side 701 has about 30" more space over the left due to the crew hallway is offset to the left.

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread...I also enjoy using the Tapatalk app, but whenever possible prefer using the larger screen on my computer.

Some thoughts:

- I had used Smugmug for many years. Good value for what they provide. No company provides "free" service. They are ultimately trying to attain profitability through some method to ensure continued existence (ads, sharing your personal data, hoping to up sell). In addition, any company that provides "free" services can change their TOS without recourse. Highly recommend "paying" for some method to back up high quality photos, and Smugmug can give you quality, privacy, and the ability to "own" your photos.

- Today I use a NAS for my personal backup (QNAP). Sometimes this seems easier, sometimes not ;)

- I don't post many photos...but synchronizing between your phone and computer is probably easiest with a cloud based option (Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, iCloud, etc).

Hi mdpa,

Great points. Of course things aren't really free...but those of us who used the heck out of Google's free stuff for many years will still lament the loss. :)

Smugmug does seem like a good service. And if you think about it objectively, it is only fair that you should pay something for a good backup service.

Your cloud-based comment made me think that Google drive might be my easy way to get photos from the laptop to the phone. I already have the drive app on my Android phone so it should be a piece of cake, as long as my data connection is not too slow. Drag a bunch of photos to my drive on the laptop, then go to the phone app and they should be there. Thanks!

I should have read this forum before I just tried to post a pic from photobucket to my roll call. Photobucket wants me to pay $400 a year to remain a third party host. I think not... :mad:

• 1 month later...
CamMag, Keith has given you spot on advice when posting using third party sites (e.g.photobucket).

Will share with you the Ipad pix posting 101 note I sent another Silversea cruise critic to offer another option for posting your Silversea cruise pix.

We use an Ipad and the app Tapatalk to post pictures on our Silversea cruises. Ipad photo posting 101 steps: a. Go to Apple App Store--search for Tapatalk app, download, then open b. Search and open Cruise Critic, c. go to CC Forums Silversea board. Now you are ready to post your photos taken on your Ipad (this turnkey photo posting works with Ipad not Camera's) As far as I know, with Camera pix you still need to use a 3rd party photo hosting site, d. click open a silversea thread (e.g. Live Spirit from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon). e. you will note a box at bottom of thread displayed on your ipad that says write a reply. compose your reply. f. You will note on the left of the reply box a + in a circle--touch this circle. g.five icons will show up (camera, moutain tops/photos (touch this second icon). h.once touched it will take you to your ipad photos, touch the photo (alas with tapatalk you can only download one pix at a time and for cc only post no more than six pix in a thread. I. after touching the photo, tapatalk app will list three sizes (best, medium, small) ccr's have found when wifi is working well, medium is best to use for pix. However, if wifi is slow, u may want to choose small (download is faster). Viola your img code is now displayed on your reply draft Before I hit reply and use my cursor to make sure I clear the img code (one or two spaces) from the text (makes it easier to read for Silversea cruise critics. Hope this helps and good luck posting--look forward to viewing your cruise snaps.

Presently, do not take our camera with us when we cruise, exclusively use our tablet (Ipad) as posting pictures using the tablet and tapatalk takes much, much less time to post pictures (tho not the exceptional quality (tho very acceptable) as a superb camera photo then posting using a third party site (e.g, photobucket).

Hey just tried it very simple and worked a breeze with the iPhone. Y ou just missed the step of joining tapatalk before it will let you load photos

JP, I did not know about Google Photos Private. I looked for a button but all I could find is that "all photos are set as private until you share them" So me just getting into properties and copying the link is not telling Google to share the photos. So I guess I will do another experiment. Since you asked about Tower Bridge I will use three of them to post here. I sent all three to myself first to make them public I hope my thinking is right.... Will use my method of clicking on the picture, then right-clicking to expose properties. Then copying link and placing it in "Picture upload button" on Cruise Critics.. OK here we go.....Picture 1

wgk0ALfyQAzWWGA0KrnKI6DIdl9ly1ucvHXN0r5s6aNtEWYxulm5Lfp1crcaBld4In7TfvhJ8jBETA0i_L4pefJhWyhLhaf-R7WDFcEcRHGpFueKXGvILJ-pPZx23pCCBV13Jb7qaSwWOn72cSKuweh7BWjHAJwrNSX95oJ2ttEfKJ1NfGNFC5sp9qQZVTL5xsLPOuDuKMGVYp4u_uWDM0xhaqfPh23b3jQq5M6EWTkTFBPZe0ZF3OngVZXnfpLqy76ODneGC6iNYZEUQ1d61vZU87KXvBYPC-7c8TY3uAj8ePj84EjTcD2BNo8BnUVEqeR0yafxHWsEQhvUnyVZ_ZCDdij_dEUrT8nJb3YZOHIQZFiqlWc-q-CfWV6GBbooUiWWQxNN-E2TBY9fN3wgxmNkryLJLtr3QgBvmxeAVdhHowiZXX0_XbYGY9pm6mgGzLQ2MVUDt2LYjcAmCgxwyC4ZkkaaBr5tuAaAmF4HAf3EbbLidTlB76-AC-ZKgmW-PgDFVy-GZoxAdUsEHy5q_j_h3SyhxPRDNZEOOBfCk79-_qNEp6ov9raoE40yXPGrEVG_6LGYLQFT3hI9qKEqHAc4iHyY99g-J_zGEAFy7iiWh-_HXwOCbA=w1006-h566-no

Don't know if you see three pictures above this text? I do but maybe you do not...

YES!! Super appreciate these lovely pictures from London Bridge. Could see all three as very large, nice, clear and crisp visuals. Great Sharing!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

I perused this thread before my current voyage and looked at all the mentioned photo hosting sites. I ended up with smugbug. I pay something like $5/mo (I paid annually and can't remember) and I get everything except the "pro" features which are for actual professional photographers.

I like that when I share a photo I choose the size I want to share - a choice from Tiny to XXXLarge, which, on the photo I will post below the following sizes: 100x100, 150x150, 257x300, 386x450, 515x600, 659x768, 824x960, 1030x1200. I normally post Medium which is (for this photo) 386x450.

DSC00288-M.jpg

Then you choose whether you want to post as "Photo Only", "HTML" or "bbcode." For CC, I choose bbcode. The result is what you see above. Tiny would look like this:

DSC00288-Ti.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention, the next step is to copy the generated code and paste it into my message. It's pretty easy. Generating the code for the smaller pic was simply picking another choice from the size menu and the new code was instantly generated, Let's see if I can post a sample of that code without it getting rendered:

Generated code here:
(Nope, I can't.  But it is just an img block wrapped in a url. 

Smugbug gives an option to upload an entire 'gallery' at a time, but I don't think that is compatible with CC. I think I can use it to upload multiple photos to FB, though.

Yup, finally gave up on Google photos and paid a year's worth for smugmug. Was able to get the same handle, jpalbny, for smugmug which made it easy! Have not yet tried posting a smugmug picture to CC but I think I will do that now.

A mother and baby Golden sifaka in the Mantadia Reserve of Madagascar.

2016_10%20Madagascar-038-XL.jpg

Wow that was easy!

How about an Eastern Wooly Lemur, from next door in the Analamazoatra Reserve?

2016_10%20Madagascar-071-XL.jpg

Google photos is probably useful as an online backup. Certainly no harm in having several storage presence.

I'll take a look at smugmug. I'd always thought it wasn't all that good when I first came upon it, but that was quite a while back.

I also use a private gallery I installed on my dreamhost account which I've accumulated several terabytes of space. (They increase each year.... and I've probably been with them about 12 years now.) The space is just a by product of the websites I produce and paid to maintain, so a freebie for me.

My biggest problem is finding time to sort them all particularly when often the dates are set incorrectly. It's not always easy but always time consuming. You seem to be a master at this JP. I've started using Lightroom and adding tags after importing, adjusting and exporting. Reading this thread is a reminder of the task I still need to do for a photobook I'm in the process of doing which are excellent keepsakes.

I am not too bad with computers but TapaTalk has me stumped ... maybe it just takes time to get used to it?

I wanted to post a couple of pics so reading this thread was handy.

Les ... as for websites ....grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I had just about finished creating a fairly large one (centred around my sinking and big boats in general) but then we moved house and my new ISP doesn't have freebie hosting so one is somewhat miffed.:-)

I am not too bad with computers but TapaTalk has me stumped ... maybe it just takes time to get used to it?

I wanted to post a couple of pics so reading this thread was handy.

Les ... as for websites ....grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I had just about finished creating a fairly large one (centred around my sinking and big boats in general) but then we moved house and my new ISP doesn't have freebie hosting so one is somewhat miffed.:-)

Do you have the site on your PC?

Happy to host it free for you if you'd like. Is it using your own domain or does it have your old ISP domain embedded within?

Thanks for that ... if I ever get around to completing the 'autopsy report' that is.

All things being equal it (the website) will be based around the below - but the attempts to uploaded a pic is suffering from a major operator malfunction.

Using 'insert an image' I get a teeny weeny bos and no picture.open?id=0B58H63-cgu5xeTNPNE4wNkxxOGs

view?usp=sharing

Using 'insert a link' I get ..... errr ... a link?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B58H63-cgu5xeTNPNE4wNkxxOGs/view?usp=sharing

Maybe try 'manage attachments'?

Edited by MBP&O2/O

Thanks for that ... if I ever get around to completing the 'autopsy report' that is.

All things being equal it (the website) will be based around the below - but I suspect the uploaded pic is suffering from operator malfunction.

open?id=0B58H63-cgu5xeTNPNE4wNkxxOGs

Image isn't being displayed for me. Change your google drive settings for this image... I suspect it's still shown as private.

Strange?

Open Google Drive – not Google Photo’s

Select picture

Right click

Select ‘Get Shareable Link’

I am shown ‘Link sharing turned on – anyone with link can view’

Link is shown as

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B58H63-cgu5xeTNPNE4wNkxxOGs

OR

Select share

‘Anyone with link can view’

Link is shown as

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B58H63-cgu5xeTNPNE4wNkxxOGs/view?usp=sharing

OR

Take very large hammer

I drafted this out in Word and using ‘control/click’ to follow the link both worked?

Using Photo’s I am told the shared link is

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPGmuQdM-MrcXELfTwi8mpJqTh3cdZHg8h4RoiuZtmmgW1_YeQKqdCXWNE7YBLpag/photo/AF1QipN82RmYTyCGibMCpDnMjEY0mL1kNYO8iaWrHAQ3?key=SHdfOVRHSWhWNUZGbU1PSGtRS0FWaThXZUVVOFRB

I think the hammer is the best option!

• 1 year later...
Yes, I'm definitely going to need to print them out!

Luckily for me we board this trip in London which is just a taxi ride away but, like you, I am concerned about the future when we fly as we take all the usual technology with us including cameras and there's no way I would want to check any of it in to hold baggage.

Testing picture91a12fc7882ab47bd29304321ddfb46d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk