SS Oceanic - Transatlantic Voyages?

I know the ship was to be initially built as a T/A 2 class liner, but I don't think that ever came to fruition. I think as soon as it was launched, it was put into cruise only service. I've seen photos of it in VA for it's annual drydock, so I don't think it went back to Italy for it, at least not with passengers on it. In the 60' and 70's we regularly sailed on the "Italian Line" ships to Italy. At the time our TA knew how much we liked Home Lines and the "Oceanic" and I'd think that if it ever did T/A's our agent would have suggested, or at least mentioned it.

I checked several publications including the books, "Fifty Famous Liners" and Arnold Kludas' "Great Passenger Ships of the World" and neither shows the "Oceanic" making transatlantic sailings with passengers.

To echo what the previous poster wrote, it appears the ship was designed as a hybrid (cruise ship/Transatlantic Liner), but during construction, Home Lines decided to abandon the transatlantic trade in favor of full time cruising.

Garnett

Oceanic was delivered to Home Lines in March 1965. On 31 March, she left on a transatlantic crossing with fare-paying passengers (only 200 of them) from Genoa to New York City. She made a short series of transatlantic crossings, following which she entered cruise service from New York to the Bahamas on 24 April 1965, operating in tandem with the company's older SS Homeric.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...