Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:43 AM.
Bonita Springs, FL formerly Baltimore, MD and before that Phila. PA
3,228 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Just dropping by to say Hi to everyone. Still cruising with my hubby. Ethel and her gentleman friend join us sometimes.

We did a ten day land tour of Eng, Holland, Germany,Switz. and France
then boarded the Celebrity Eclipse for the TA back to Miami. 24 wonderful days but very tiring, especially for my DH who has mobility issues.

Keeping closer to home by cruising the Caribbean. Sometimes we don't even get of the ship, just live in our bathing suits and enjoy the pool!!

We cruised with Maryann on the Miracle two years ago. That was pretty neat to sail with someone from the Dream again., Maybe someday we will all meet again.

Jeanette, hope you didn't suffer any damage from Isaac. We dodged the bullet and just had some rain.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea ya,

RCI-Nordic Prince '86 & '90, , Grandeur '99, Sovereign '99, , Grandeur '00, , Rhapsody'02, , Radiance '04 & '05, Brilliance '06, Majesty 06, , Serenade 08, Enchantment 09, , Navigator of the Seas 09, Majesty '11, Liberty '12, Monarch '12, Allure '12, Independence '12, Liberty 2/13, 11/13, Legend 12/13, Freedom 4/14, Enchantment 15
Grandeur 15, Brilliance 15. Serenade TA 16, Navigator '16

Carnival-Inspiration '97, Ecstasy '01, Dream 09, Miracle '11
Celebrity-Horizon '00, Galaxy '02, Eclipse TA '10, Constellation'15
NCL- Star '12
Princess-Caribbean Princess 07
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
It is SO good to hear from you all again. I subscribed to the Sogno thread to get notices if anyone posts and every once in a while I will see a post. I get emails occasionally too from the old gang plus I facebook with some of the group to keep up.

I can finally say this morning that we sail the Breeze NEXT month as we sail on October 13 from Barcelona. We did have such a great group on our Sogno roll call and sailing didn't we? We have a roll call for the Breeze but it's not as large as the Sogno group was and certainly not as active as our group was. But we do have our tours and an M&G and Cocktail Party planned.

I will never forget the trip to Burano and Murano and Mary and I talking about doing the Amazing Race together. All of our tours with different groups were wonderful. We booked 90 days out and a lot of people already had their tours going so we wound up jumping in where we could which meant we were with a different group on every tour and really got to spend some time with several different people. I am really hoping that I get to sail with some of our Sogno group again some day - best roll call ever! Love you guys!

Originally posted by Deanne Willis
Hi all,
I feel like I'm catching up with some old dear friends. I guess I am. Just checked on Sogno and there you were!

Joe and I are finally getting back to cruising. We finally sold our house last April. We had 3 houses for a while and it didn't leave much for cruising, both time and money.

Jeannette. We are doing the same cruise next October 8th on the Celebrity Equinox. I'll think of you especially in Murano. We had so much fun trying to figure out those Venetian Islands.
Terry, I could use your brains in the next Trivia Contest. We are going to Hawaii Feb 17th on Celebrity Century, think about it.
Marty, I bet your boys are getting so grown up!!

We sure were lucky to have such a great group!!

Denise and Joe

Originally posted by jebl
Just dropping by to say Hi to everyone. Still cruising with my hubby. Ethel and her gentleman friend join us sometimes.

We did a ten day land tour of Eng, Holland, Germany,Switz. and France
then boarded the Celebrity Eclipse for the TA back to Miami. 24 wonderful days but very tiring, especially for my DH who has mobility issues.

Keeping closer to home by cruising the Caribbean. Sometimes we don't even get of the ship, just live in our bathing suits and enjoy the pool!!

We cruised with Maryann on the Miracle two years ago. That was pretty neat to sail with someone from the Dream again., Maybe someday we will all meet again.

Jeanette, hope you didn't suffer any damage from Isaac. We dodged the bullet and just had some rain.
Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Jeannette,

I would love to have a Sogno reunion cruise! Where are you staying in Barcelona? I've been looking at bed and breakfasts, also at the Hilton close to the ocean, but our trip is so far out that we don't have flights yet.
Denise
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Jeannette,

I would love to have a Sogno reunion cruise! Where are you staying in Barcelona? I've been looking at bed and breakfasts, also at the Hilton close to the ocean, but our trip is so far out that we don't have flights yet.
Denise
That would be so great if a lot of us could get together again. We are only staying one night pre-cruise in Barcelona and then we are flying to Rome for 5 nights after the cruise.

I had originally booked at Hotel Atlantis which seems nice and good reviews but then started reading about Hotel Continental and a lot of the others are staying there so we changed. I booked two side by side rooms with balconies overlooking Las Ramblas. There is another Hotel Continental down the way, but I understand this is the first choice of the two. It also has a 24 hour buffet of food, soft drinks, coffee, juices, wine and beer included. Hotel Curious is another one that a lot of people are selecting. And I know of one who booked one of the Hiltons on her points.

We are renting an apartment for the 4 of us in Rome this time near Campo de fiori. We usually stay at Via Veneto but wanted to try something different this time and felt with 4 of us the apartment was a better fit. If you are staying Barcelona for a few days you might look into something like that as well.

We booked our flights in January for the October cruise and from what I have read this time, the prices kept increasing as we got closer to the cruise. I also booked early saver for the first time since we booked 13 months in advance and have received price drops of $1100 per cabin. We are hoping for at least one more, but maybe not as we are now only 6 weeks out.

I don't know which ports you are doing, but I would book the tours as far in advance as possible. We are using All Around Italy for 3 of our ports and I know that Rome in Limo is very popular.

If you want you can facebook me (Jeanette Strickland Tanner). I am friends with Marty, John McGowty, Judy, Patti and even a few of people from our 2007 Med cruise. It's a great way to keep up.
Vancouver B.C.
4,879 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
What a surprise to see so many familiar faces. Hello to everyone.
I am booked on the Breeze TA, my son will be with me. Then also booked the Destiny TA in Feb, Miami to Venice 18 days, really good price. Then as I am already in Europe booked a Holy Land cruise leaving Rome the next day on Norwegian Jade. First time on Norwegian.
Planning to do more last minute (well after final payment) cruises on Royal and Celebrity as they have better solo prices. This year in July I did a B2B on the Vision of the Seas Baltic cruise for $600 solo each leg.
My first grandchild is 9 months now but they live in Helsinki so this gave me an excuse to visit them again.
In Barcelona I am staying at Hotel Barcelona Universal which has excellent reviews on trip advisor.
Judy, good to hear from you again. How is your weight now? Probably really skinny.
Jeanette, have a great trip on the Breeze and think of us when in Venice again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by maryann2
What a surprise to see so many familiar faces. Hello to everyone.
I am booked on the Breeze TA, my son will be with me. Then also booked the Destiny TA in Feb, Miami to Venice 18 days, really good price. Then as I am already in Europe booked a Holy Land cruise leaving Rome the next day on Norwegian Jade. First time on Norwegian.
Planning to do more last minute (well after final payment) cruises on Royal and Celebrity as they have better solo prices. This year in July I did a B2B on the Vision of the Seas Baltic cruise for $600 solo each leg.
My first grandchild is 9 months now but they live in Helsinki so this gave me an excuse to visit them again.
In Barcelona I am staying at Hotel Barcelona Universal which has excellent reviews on trip advisor.
Judy, good to hear from you again. How is your weight now? Probably really skinny.
Jeanette, have a great trip on the Breeze and think of us when in Venice again.
Mary it is always good to hear from you. I love that you have the opportunity to travel so much and to so many places. We were almost on the Breeze TA with you but opted to do Rome instead. Congrats on the new grandchild. I have a new one due in February - the first one in 11 years. Mary I will always and forever think of you when I am in Venice or even thinking of Venice - what a fun day we all had.
Wyoming
142 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Denise & Joe, I am so glad that you finally got your housing situation under control Our last cruise was in February, saw Aruba and it was beautiful. Planning the next one down to South America probably early 2014. Thinking about trying out RCCL.

Hope all is going well with everyone and many safe travels.

Anna & Randy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pacific Princess (British Isles) - August 2018
Carnival Dream (Western Caribbean) - December 2015
Carnival Miracle (Southern Caribbean) - Jan 2012
Carnival Spirit (Alaska) - August 2010
Carnival Elation (Baja) - November 2009
Carnival Dream (Med) - October 2009
Carnival Destiny (Southern Caribbean) - April 2008
Carnival Miracle (Western Caribbean) - April 2005
NCL (Baja) - January 1993
Disney (Big Red Boat) (Bahamas) - March 1986
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Hi Anna and Randy - it is great when I see a notification that some of you still make the occasional post on our Dream Sogno Roll Call. Ray and I leave this Thursday - 10/11 to do the Med Itinerary again on the Breeze. I so wish some of the folks from our Sogno group were on this sailing with us. We all had such a great time.
Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Hi to all the Sogno friends. Thanks for your suggestions on Hotels in Barcelona. We ended up booking the H10 Urquinaona. The roll call for this cruise is very quiet, not like the Sogno roll call. We miss you guys, I wish I were on facebook. I hope you all are happy and healthy!
Joe and Denise
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Hi to all the Sogno friends. Thanks for your suggestions on Hotels in Barcelona. We ended up booking the H10 Urquinaona. The roll call for this cruise is very quiet, not like the Sogno roll call. We miss you guys, I wish I were on facebook. I hope you all are happy and healthy!
Joe and Denise

Hi Deanne and Joe, great to hear from you again! Which cruise are you taking from Barcelona? We sailed from there last October with the same ports we had with the Sogno sailing. Are you planning any tours in Barcelona? We used a company to pick up 6 of us at the airport and did a half day tour before going to the hotels. I used another company to take us from ship to hotel and ship to airport. I probably still have them in my notes if you need this info.

I agree - the Sogno roll call was the best ever!
Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Hi Jeanette and Ray,
I just saw your post. I was going to go through the roll calls to look for recommendations for shuttle companies! Could you let me know which companies you used? We were thinking of Barcelona Day Tours.

Hi to Anna and Randy, Mary and all the Sogno Cruiser!

Denise
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Deanne

I used this company for transport for 4 of us from our hotel to the ship terminal and then from the ship to the airport, post cruise. They were excellent and right on time. 132 euros for both transfers for a total of 4 pax.
BARCELONA AIRPORT TRANSFERS | Fax: +34 933 079 477 · E-mail: [email protected]

Here's a summary of our tour on the day we arrived in Barcelona. There were six of us in our group and we were staying at two separate hotels. Since the pickpocket situation is so bad in Barcelona we really wanted a tour where our belongings would be safe while we spent a few hours touring before hotel check in.

Note: If you want to see the La Sagrada Familia Church - highly advise that you pre-order your tickets online to avoid the huge line around the block when you arrive.

I used this company for transport for 4 of us from our hotel to the ship terminal and then from the ship to the airport, post cruise. They were excellent and right on time. 132 euros for both transfers for a total of 4 pax.
BARCELONA AIRPORT TRANSFERS | Fax: +34 933 079 477 · E-mail: [email protected]

BARCELONA HIGHLIGHTS --- half day private tour
Date October 12, 2012
Reservation name/code:

- Number of visitors: 6 persons
- Pick-up location: Barcelona Airport
- Pick-up time:
60 Minutes after actual landing
- Drop-off location
#1: Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona, Passeig del Taulat 262-264, Barcelona
- Drop-off location #2:
Hotel Continental, La Rambla 138-08002, Barcelona
- Duration of tour: 4 hours
- Price: 59 Euros per person for a private tour of 6 persons

SPECIAL NOTES
* Luggage capacity:
6 large suitcases + 5 carryon bags.
RESERVATION STATUS
- Current Status:
150 Euros deposit

Balance:
204 Euros due on the day of the tour

MEETING INSTRUCTIONS
- We will wait for you with a sign [NAMES] as you exit customs. This meeting point is after the baggage claim and after you pass the customs point. You will see several people holding signs and we will meet you at this point. If you are a few minutes early kindly return to this point for the pick-up time of 60 minutes after actual landing.
-----------------------------------------
http://www.spaindaytours.com/Finalize-Reservation.html
PLEASE NOTE
There is a FULL REFUND in the event that:
(1) You cancel the tour for whatever reason with at least 48 hours notice
(2) If you are unable to arrive due to international transportation cancellations
I will email you a final confirmation within one business day of your deposit payment.
Thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you for a wonderful time in Spain.
Kind regards,
Sofia Delgado

Barcelona Day Tours
Top-Day-Tours Group
www.BarcelonaDayTours.com
Tel: +34 931 815 287
Fax:+34 933 728 413
Email:
[email protected]
My name is Sofia and I am happy to confirm that we can do the Barcelona tour for you from the Airport on October 12th.
For your tour from the airport we are happy to offer you a private excursion with:
* Personal pick-up from inside the airport
* Personal drop-off at the hotel at the end of the tour
* Touring in a new, comfortable and air-conditioned vehicle with luggage space
* Personal driving-guide - lovely person with good English
* Complete flexibility during the tour (start time, length of stay in each place, modification to our suggested itinerary, restaurant visit if wanted, etc)
* High quality and personal excursion experience
The price for this quality trip is only 59 Euros per person based on the 6 of you touring privately. This price includes your own driving-guide, transportation, petrol, toll roads, parking, and all taxes. The price does not include entry fees which are not needed with the normal itinerary. During the tour we will visit all the highlights of Barcelona (including La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, National Palace, and more) and you will have time at each of the sites to explore the places and take photos. This is a great way to discover Barcelona and I am sure you will be very happy with your decision to travel with us!
Also, just to let you know that for or any transfers in Barcelona we are happy to offer you a private service for only 79 Euros per transfer (not per person).
I kindly confirm that we can pick you up from the airport- do the city tour (with luggage)- drop you off at 2 different hotels. Rate for two person only doing a private tour is 125 Euros per person.

If you wish to enter the Sagrada Familia, then I recommend that you use the website below to buy the tickets in advance and this way you would be able to skip the long lines to enter the site:
http://www.servicaixa.com/nav/landings/en/mucho_mas/entradas_sagrada_familia/index.html
Please keep in mind that you will be entering the site on your own and the driver-guide will wait for you by the vehicle. Also, if you do choose to visit the Sagrada Familia inside then please kindly know that this will of course take from the time of visiting other sites that we normally include in the itinerary.
You should buy the tickets for one hour after start time (2 hours after actual landing time)
Also, are there any other sites that have an Entrance Fee?If you wish to enter the other site you can purchase tickets on the spot

To:

Sent: Tue, May 15, 2012 3:35 pm
Subject: CONFIRMATION: Tour

Dear ,
Thank you for your deposit payment - it was processed successfully.
Please see below your secured and confirmed itinerary:
----------------------------------------- Service #1
BARCELONA HIGHLIGHTS --- half day private tour
- Date: October 12, 2012
- Reservation name/code: 1012
- Number of visitors: 6 persons
- Pick-up location: Barcelona Airport
- Pick-up time: 60 Minutes after actual landing
- Flight details: U.S. Air, Flight 8:25 a.m.
- Drop-off location #1: Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona, Passeig del Taulat 262-264, Barcelona
- Drop-off location #2: Hotel Continental, La Rambla 138-08002, Barcelona
- Duration of tour: 4 hours
- Price: 59 Euros per person for a private tour of 6 persons
SPECIAL NOTES
* Luggage capacity: 6 large suitcases + 5 carryon bags.
RESERVATION STATUS
- Current Status: 150 Euros deposit PAID
- Balance: 204 Euros due on the day of the tour please
*** Please note that payment due can only be paid with Euros cash please - thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE - Kindly note the following important points (standard text - not all points may apply to you):
(1) Please be on time to all meeting points. If you arrive early to the meeting-point, kindly note that we will collect you at the agreed specified time in the confirmation above - please return to the start-point for the time specified in the confirmation.
(2) It is advised to wear comfortable walking shoes.
(3) If you only paid a deposit - kindly note the balance is due in Euros (cash only please) on the day of the tour. Any balance for non-show members is still due in full as indicated in the reservation details above.
(4) Minivan tours (groups up to 7 persons) are conducted with a driver-guide. Please note that the driving-guide will be providing guiding services externally and will not enter museums or monuments if you wish to do so. You will receive full explanation on every site visited but if you wish to enter museums/monuments the guide will wait for you by the van.
(5) Van and mini-coach tours (groups of 8 persons or more) are conducted with a driver + expert guide. If you are sharing a group tour - your consideration to others would be highly appreciated by the group. Your kind consideration is required regards arriving on time, pace of touring, toilet stops, remaining with the group as needed, etc.
(6) Please be careful with your personal belongings at all times while touring in Spain. There have been increasing incidents of pick pocketing and theft, especially in crowded places, trains, bus stations, etc. Although it is very safe to travel in Spain we kindly encourage you to take extra care with your belongings to make sure you have a smooth and wonderful holiday.
That's it! You are ready for a wonderful time.
Thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you for an enjoyable and memorable time!
Kind regards,
Dionisio Geronimo

Spain Day Tours
Top-Day-Tours Group
www.SpainDayTours.com
Tel: +34 917 896 684
Fax:+34 933 728 413
Email:
[email protected]

Registered Tour Operator #: GC002094
Registered Tax ID #: B65440869

American Society of Travel Agents Member #: 900203555
Cruise Line International Association Member #: 00425541

Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Thanks Jeanette!!!!!
You are a GREAT help!!!! Thanks so much for all the information. We are on Celebrity's Equinox.
I did get tickets for Sagrada Familia , but thanks again for the advise.

Hope you guys did not have problems with pickpockets in Barcelona. Did anyone on your cruise have a problem? I've heard they were a problem there.

Do you know if most hotels store luggage? I think I'll email ours, but I'm also going to email Barcelona Airport transfers.

Still would like a Sogno Reunion!

I'll keep in touch.

Denise
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Thanks Jeanette!!!!!
You are a GREAT help!!!! Thanks so much for all the information. We are on Celebrity's Equinox.
I did get tickets for Sagrada Familia , but thanks again for the advise.

Hope you guys did not have problems with pickpockets in Barcelona. Did anyone on your cruise have a problem? I've heard they were a problem there.

Do you know if most hotels store luggage? I think I'll email ours, but I'm also going to email Barcelona Airport transfers.

Still would like a Sogno Reunion!

I'll keep in touch.

Denise
You're welcome Denise. I just copied and pasted (minus personal info) from my notes on that trip. We had read soooo much about the pickpocket situation and even on the message boards for the few cruises right before ours. I bought two pac-safe bags for Ray and I to use and we also used money belts. We kept our luggage locked in the van at all stops and took very little cash with us when we got out. After we got to our hotel in B'lona and had a bit of food and a bath we went to bed, but woke up starving around 11 pm. So at midnight we were on Las Ramblas looking for a late night snack. We wound up at a small restaurant and two full plates of delicious food. It was rainy so I had my camera around my neck and under my raincoat. We only carried about 50 euros with us - no passports and no credit cards in case of pick pockets. We almost didn't have enough money on us to pay for our dinner. LOL.

There were some people on our cruise who did get pick pocketed and lost their passports and cash, so they had to catch up with the ship after getting that straightened out - bad way to start the cruise.

The hotels I checked with on line pre-travel said they would store the luggage but I didn't feel safe doing that, so we just booked the tour for the few hours between landing and checking in and never regretted that decision. I wish we had stayed one extra day in B'lona though to see a few more sights than we did.

I agree about the SOGNO reunion. That was the best group we ever sailed with and I still correspond with several of our group. Maybe we could all plan a shorter stateside cruise sometime out of Galveston or somewhere in Florida. I would really love to get together with everyone again on a cruise where we had more ship time to spend together.

Have you booked a hotel for B'lona yet? We stayed at Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas and I would NOT recommend it. If you need recommendations I could check with a few others on our roll call from last year to see where they all stayed.
Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Thanks again Jeanette for all the information!

We are staying at the new H10 Urquinaona that just opened in July. So far the reviews are very good. Hope that turns out okay. We are traveling with 3 other couples and I chose it for all of us, so I'm really hoping it will be good.

After what you said I'm going to rethink my luggage storing idea, thanks again!

We are already booked on a short cruise On the Freedom of the Seas, Jan 26 2014, would love to have some Sogno friends join us. Do you have any cruises planned?

Denise
2,042 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Thanks again Jeanette for all the information!

We are staying at the new H10 Urquinaona that just opened in July. So far the reviews are very good. Hope that turns out okay. We are traveling with 3 other couples and I chose it for all of us, so I'm really hoping it will be good.

After what you said I'm going to rethink my luggage storing idea, thanks again!

We are already booked on a short cruise On the Freedom of the Seas, Jan 26 2014, would love to have some Sogno friends join us. Do you have any cruises planned?

Denise

I retired last year but didn't like it - too much time - not enough money! so I went back to work in January. My new position requires a lot of hours and even though I accrue paid time off pretty quickly in my job, it's hard to get away. So we are taking shorter cruises these days. Our next one is just a 4 day in September out of Port Canaveral. What are the dates/itinerary/departure port etc. of your January cruise?

If you're doing some Italy ports on your cruise out of Barcelona, and haven't planned your excursions yet, we used Fabrizio of All Around Italy and they did a great job for us. We had 8 in our groups with him and really had a good time.

Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by GRAMMYTAN
I retired last year but didn't like it - too much time - not enough money! so I went back to work in January. My new position requires a lot of hours and even though I accrue paid time off pretty quickly in my job, it's hard to get away. So we are taking shorter cruises these days. Our next one is just a 4 day in September out of Port Canaveral. What are the dates/itinerary/departure port etc. of your January cruise?

If you're doing some Italy ports on your cruise out of Barcelona, and haven't planned your excursions yet, we used Fabrizio of All Around Italy and they did a great job for us. We had 8 in our groups with him and really had a good time.

Hi Jeanette,
We are on Freedom of the Seas, out of Pt Canaveral. We leave Jan 26th 2014.
It's a 7 day going to San Juan, CoCo Cay and St. Marten. Thought we'd try one of the big ships, we still like Carnival though.
Joe just retired, not sure we'll like it in the winter, that's why we booked a cruise, it's cold up here in Michigan in January!!
Come with us!
Denise