Geocaching at ports

Hoping for some geocaching advice! We want to find some while in Noumea but not sure how to go about it! I am assuming I would need to turn my data on but would that make my bill sky high? Can I do it without using mobile data?

Other thought was take screen shots and hope for the best.

Sorry only just moved with the times and got a phone that can do more than call and text!!!

Depends on your phone, will it allow you to use the gps without a mobile signal? If it does then you should be able to download maps for offline use. We use a handheld gps with the gpx files pre downloaded no mobile phone needed, mobiles are great when you are in coverage but mostly an amusement device outside of coverage.

There are a couple in Noumea that you should be able to get without a gps if you print out the cache details and hints.

Thanks Womble, I have taken screen shots of the ones that are nice and close to the terminal and from the activity reports, they seem nice and easy to find. I didn't even think to use google maps offline instead of the actual geo app. Would I just input the cache co ordinates and go from there?

Again, sorry for my lack of technical knowledge!

When we were in NZ earlier this year, we did a few at different ports by logging onto free wifi and downloading close ones, may not be an option in Noumea but now you have me thinking I need to do some research before I head there in January!

We have geocached in Noumea but use Garmin Etrex 20s. I also have an android phone but have not used it for geocaching without mobile signal. It is possible to download GPX files to your phone so that you can use it with off line maps. Most modern phones have GPS reception. Your best bet would be to got to geocaching.com "How do I" forum where I'm sure you will get the info you need.

We will be caching in Noumea again in January and New Zealand in December. Cheers, colleda.

I have an Android phone and use the c:geo app occasionally instead of our Garmin etrex. I know with that app you can store caches for offline access so you can load them at home before you go. I'm not sure what the go-to app is if you have an iPhone - either the geocaching forums or a local geocaching group on FB would be able to help in that regard.

Geocaching ? All new to me, too much technology. I struggle with 'puters and mobile phones. My 7 year old granddaughter had to teach me how to text. :o Sad eh?

So whilst we have two basic mobile phones and on NBN now with the big puter at home. When we go overseas we do not take phones, just the ipad so we can catch up on E Mails now and then, that's all. We go away to get away from it all. Hardly ever use our Princess Elite complimentary internet minutes.:o Wish we could trade the internet minutes into some extra adult beverages for the cabin mini bar. :p

Geocaching ? All new to me, too much technology. I struggle with 'puters and mobile phones. My 7 year old granddaughter had to teach me how to text. :o Sad eh?

So whilst we have two basic mobile phones and on NBN now with the big puter at home. When we go overseas we do not take phones, just the ipad so we can catch up on E Mails now and then, that's all. We go away to get away from it all. Hardly ever use our Princess Elite complimentary internet minutes.:o Wish we could trade the internet minutes into some extra adult beverages for the cabin mini bar. :p

Perhaps some deals with fellow passengers need to be made on your next trip.

I know exactly how you feel. We spent 4 months overseas last year and did not use our phone once! Loved it!

Geocaching is like treasure hunting and as much as I hate having a phone on me, this is fun!

Perhaps some deals with fellow passengers need to be made on your next trip.

Good idea Mic, I could put an ad in the 'Princess Patter' when I get on board, offering my minutes for an adult beverage or three, or we might have other Elites either side of us prepared to do the deal. Lubbly Jubbly.:halo:

I know exactly how you feel. We spent 4 months overseas last year and did not use our phone once! Loved it!

Geocaching is like treasure hunting and as much as I hate having a phone on me, this is fun!

Cheers mate, those phones are a pain sometimes. ;)

Happy Cruising to you.

Good idea Mic, I could put an ad in the 'Princess Patter' when I get on board, offering my minutes for an adult beverage or three, or we might have other Elites either side of us prepared to do the deal. Lubbly Jubbly.:halo:

You never know until you try.

• 2 weeks later...

Some suggestions for new Geocachers concerned with using data while on cruises. I've been Geocaching for a few years at cruise ports. I carry both a Garmin Oregon and an Android smartphone on which I preload my caches. (I never have to go online while caching and I wait for WiFi before logging.) For the Garmin, I use GSAK (GSAK.net) which allows me to assemble pocket query results by port and group them together for the cruise. For the smartphone, I use C:GEO, the free app, to also save pocket queries. With a little practice, it's pretty straightforward and convenient. On a recent cruise to Bermuda, I arrived prepared with all (about 250) Bermuda caches saved offline and ready to go. (Lots of DNFs, but that's another story.):rolleyes:

Some suggestions for new Geocachers concerned with using data while on cruises. I've been Geocaching for a few years at cruise ports. I carry both a Garmin Oregon and an Android smartphone on which I preload my caches. (I never have to go online while caching and I wait for WiFi before logging.) For the Garmin, I use GSAK (GSAK.net) which allows me to assemble pocket query results by port and group them together for the cruise. For the smartphone, I use C:GEO, the free app, to also save pocket queries. With a little practice, it's pretty straightforward and convenient. On a recent cruise to Bermuda, I arrived prepared with all (about 250) Bermuda caches saved offline and ready to go. (Lots of DNFs, but that's another story.):rolleyes:

Thanks for that! Just another question, how do you pre load the caches and do you not use the geo app, you use a different one?

Thanks for that! Just another question, how do you pre load the caches and do you not use the geo app, you use a different one?

1. For the Garmin, I upload the results of my pocket queries onto GSAK, combine them in a database I name CRUISE and, when ready to preload, send CRUISE to the GPS. (GSAK allows you to set up your GPS device to accept the downloads.)

2. There are two geo apps, the $10 one from Geocaching.com and the FREE one from C:GEO. I've always used the C:GEO app; it's really good. For Android, it's available on Play Store.

1. For the Garmin, I upload the results of my pocket queries onto GSAK, combine them in a database I name CRUISE and, when ready to preload, send CRUISE to the GPS. (GSAK allows you to set up your GPS device to accept the downloads.)

2. There are two geo apps, the $10 one from Geocaching.com and the FREE one from C:GEO. I've always used the C:GEO app; it's really good. For Android, it's available on Play Store.

The current Geocaching.com app has been free for some time now. The $10 app has been discontinued.

If you are a GC premium member you can download Pocket Quries or Lists to your phone (or GPS device) which can then be used offline if needed.

The current Geocaching.com app has been free for some time now. The $10 app has been discontinued.

If you are a GC premium member you can download Pocket Quries or Lists to your phone (or GPS device) which can then be used offline if needed.

Thanks, I have an Apple phone and am not a premium member so can't do the pocket queries. I have read all the "activity" on each cache and think I can work out approx where they should be. We did take the Ipad geocaching on the weekend. I set up the cache we were looking for at home with wifi. The Ipad pretty much took us to within 5m of the cache with no wifi, so that was better than I thought!

Hoping to get some smiley faces near the OPT, Noumea, Canberra and Melbourne this December!