Capilano - with a fear of heights

Ok

So I am going on a trip to Alaska with DH and my two daughters in their mid twenties. Somehow I gave birth to a thrill seeker and so I do not want everything in the trip to go at my pace.

We are going to stay for three days/ two nights post-cruise in Vancouver so we have enough time to visit Capilano Bridge. I think the girls will enjoy it. I do not think I will be able to cross the bridge. We have a suspension bridge in Gibraltar and I have not been able to cross it.

So my question is about whether or not there is somewhere for me to wait on the 'safe side' of the bridge. The alternative is to split up and I stay downtown. Not a problem either. So is there a cafe or somewhere for me to sit and admire the view/read a book/have a coffee while the girls and their father do the stuff that scares me.

The cafe & gift shop are on this side of the bridge, but I'm not sure if you can get in without paying the steep entry fee (it's been a long time - along with many other locals I visit the free, quieter, and much less touristy Lynn Canyon bridge rather than Cap) and even then prices/quality with no competition won't lend themselves to much of a value proposition. I'd be 100% behind staying downtown where you have multitudinous options for reading with a view (Cap has no real views except down into the canyon - mature trees everywhere mean you can't even see much of the mountains unless you get onto the bridge or back to the road outside).

You could even go find something to do that YOU would enjoy but the thrillseekers wouldn't, and meet them afterward. The Cap shuttle from downtown and back means you can send them off with confidence that they won't get lost if their sense of direction is even less developed than their sense of danger;-)

The cafe & gift shop are on this side of the bridge, but I'm not sure if you can get in without paying the steep entry fee (it's been a long time - along with many other locals I visit the free, quieter, and much less touristy Lynn Canyon bridge rather than Cap) and even then prices/quality with no competition won't lend themselves to much of a value proposition. I'd be 100% behind staying downtown where you have multitudinous options for reading with a view (Cap has no real views except down into the canyon - mature trees everywhere mean you can't even see much of the mountains unless you get onto the bridge or back to the road outside).

You could even go find something to do that YOU would enjoy but the thrillseekers wouldn't, and meet them afterward. The Cap shuttle from downtown and back means you can send them off with confidence that they won't get lost if their sense of direction is even less developed than their sense of danger;-)

Thanks - that is the answer I wanted to hear. My first plan was to try to overcome my fear, but after recently having an accident in which I have broken both arms (how is that even possible), I think I will be feeling extra jittery.

I recognise the need to protect them but ... They won't get lost. I once had a call from one of them "mum where is my hotel?". I lived in a different time zone to where she was calling from and had never been where she was. I managed to get a description of what she was looking at and sorted her out. Thank heaven for the internet.

Since then, things have got better. Both have (separately) done back packing in Asia for months and lived alone in a number of countries. Even the one who literally cannot tell left from right can cope. Amazing what happens when you let them fly!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having visited Capilano for the first time just last week - having my own fear of heights - I made it across, but I was breathless the whole time. It bounces and moves around - kind of like getting your sea legs. Once you cross though, it's a glorious walk through the tree tops (more bridges, but much more stable), a quiet walk around the pond, etc. Not to be missed, if you can muster the courage.

You could go sit outside the trading post gift shop, but you have to pay the fee to get there.

How about a nice spa downtown for a massage or pedi? Your girls get their thrills and you get to relax.

You can also do the Cliff Walk without having to cross the bridge - I use to have a fear of these bridges but now I just suck it up and go across - it might help if you don't look down at the river below.

Cheers!

Dennis

:):):):):):)