Disney Magic Dry Dock

ACoupleAtSea

New carpet in the public areas is pretty standard during dry dock. Bedding? I don't know if that is scheduled. It is pretty easy to take a section of cabins "out of service" and re-do them during normal cruises. We've been on cruises where this was done to an entire section and also on some where seemingly random cabins were scheduled for re-dos. Thus, it is less likely to spiff up cabins during a dry dock.

The official purpose is obviously engine inspection and exterior work that can't be done with the ship in the water, but DCL always takes advantage of the time to upgrade public spaces.

Disney likes to put out "teasers" about what changes are planned--thus everyone knows about the restaurant re-do, etc. They don't usually talk about smaller things like re-upholstering the seats in the WDT, new carpet, etc. Do be aware that the cruise right before and right after the dry dock may see some work in progress.

Do be aware that the cruise right before and right after the dry dock may see some work in progress.

A few years back, we were on the Wonder for the first cruise following the drydock when the "Alaska package" was added. There was a lot of welding, drilling, sanding, grinding and painting going on every day. Fair amount of noise and odors, but it still beat being stuck at the workplace.

When is the Magic due for Refurb? Hopefully before September.

We know that the Magic will be getting some enchancements during its upcoming dry dock. Will the cabins be getting touched up as well? New beds? New carpet in the public areas? Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Magic on Friday and Pete's Boiler was closed and being worked on..lot of noise when we returned from Castaway Cay at 3:00P to swim in pool. Carioca was closed and had dinner one night at the Cabanas for our dinner rotation, it was buffet style, but the beef tenderloin was the best steak I had all cruise. Also talked to our service staff and they said dry dock for two weeks and they were staying on the boat to help refurbish dining rooms, whatever that's worth.

I was just able to confirm that the TV system is being upgraded and converted to the "on demand" system like the Fantasy has.:)

And yes, it is normal for the CMs to remain on board during dry dock and work on the cleaning and enhancements in their normal work areas as well as other locations as needed. DCL has the whole schedule mapped out well in advance so they know where everyone will be and what they will be doing.

I was just able to confirm that the TV system is being upgraded and converted to the "on demand" system like the Fantasy has.:)

And yes' date=' it is normal for the CMs to remain on board during dry dock and work on the cleaning and enhancements in their normal work areas as well as other locations as needed. DCL has the whole schedule mapped out well in advance so they know where everyone will be and what they will be doing.[/quote']

The on demand feature makes me happier than it should haha :'):'):')

Having come off the Fantasy it's a very nice feature. I would like to go on the Magic next year for the Fjords or British Isles if it's not too outrageously priced but convincing my family that it's worth even the little bit extra on such an old ships is a hard sell. The refurbishments might help though.

Disney really does have the most beautiful ships, especially the Magic and the Wonder.

I know it was necessary, but the "whale tail" added to both really detracts from their classic looks.

I know it was necessary, but the "whale tail" added to both really detracts from their classic looks.

Wasn't sure what you meant at first, because Carnival has the "Whale Tail" smokestack and I was worried I missed something! I think you're referring to the ballast extension off the stern? I think that is called a duck tail on ships.

Wasn't sure what you meant at first, because Carnival has the "Whale Tail" smokestack and I was worried I missed something! I think you're referring to the ballast extension off the stern? I think that is called a duck tail on ships.

Yep, it's called a ducktail.

100% correct. I had a senior moment. :o:o