Help with hire car drop please

Bedruthen

hi everyone. We will be in Providence, RI and will need to drop off a car hire somewhere, prior to a 3 night stay at The a Westin, Grand Central. We will have 2 large suitcases with us! We are considering various options, but not knowing New York and the traffic implications, we don’t what would be easiest.

1) We could return the car in Providence and take Amtrak to New York, Penn Station then taxi to Grand Central.

2) Drive from Providence and drop off car somewhere like Stamford, then Amtrak again. ( lower drop off fee and train fare)

3) Drop off car at La Guardia, then get from there to hotel somehow!

4) Drive from Providence to our hotel and drop car at nearest drop point- scary option!

As we will have picked up the car in Washington, we know we will have one way drop off fees wherever we leave it.

What would be the easiest do you think?

If you drop off in Stamford, you can take the Metro north train directly to Grand Central. Off peak fare is $11.50 and $7.50 if you're seniors. There are hourly express trains that take only 40 minutes, which is way less than driving into the city and returning the car would take. You would want to get on the front of the train to reduce your walk with luggage in GCT.

If you drop off in Stamford, you can take the Metro north train directly to Grand Central. Off peak fare is $11.50 and $7.50 if you're seniors. There are hourly express trains that take only 40 minutes, which is way less than driving into the city and returning the car would take. You would want to get on the front of the train to reduce your walk with luggage in GCT.

Just the sort of info I need, thank you

• 2 weeks later...
The express train is actually 50 minutes and the local train 70 minutes. There is alternating local/express service every half hour even on the weekends.

I’ve been looking at the train timetables, do I have to change trains if I take the local train, as it doesn’t seem to go all the way to Grand Central?

I’ve been looking at the train timetables, do I have to change trains if I take the local train, as it doesn’t seem to go all the way to Grand Central?

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking at, but all the trains from Stamford, whether Express or local, go to Grand Central. Are you looking at the Metro North schedule for the New Haven Line?

• 3 weeks later...

With Metro North, luggage storage is limited. If you are on a full train, you can't block seats with your bags. I use Metro North and it's important not to be overhauling. :)

Absolutely the train goes to Grand Central.

Another place you can drop a car is North White Plains. There's a Hertz office directly across the street from the station, and the trains are every half-hour or so to Grand Central taking about 40 minutes. The station is about three minutes from I-287.