Cunard flights to Singapore (& Asia)

Morgans

Thinking about booking World Cruise leg Singapore to Tokyo. Does anyone know if Cunard use direct flights or will they have us changing all over the place?

Does it make a difference booking early or late re flights?

Thinking about booking World Cruise leg Singapore to Tokyo. Does anyone know if Cunard use direct flights or will they have us changing all over the place?

Does it make a difference booking early or late re flights?

Hi,if it is anything like Princess air you get a choice of different schedules similar to Expedia.We are flying to Singapore on the 2nd April via Qatar organised by our TA .We could have flown nonstop with BA but that was a few hundred quid dearer.Bearing in mind that includes return from Joburg after a landtour,cheers,Brian.

Cunard do their costings on a basic economy fare and will quote you for upgrades to PE, business or first.

I have booked with Cunard on a cruise only price initially and when airfares get released, check with their flights dept to see what they are offering for the specific cruise and do my own comparisons.

For the Far East, I find it cheaper to do my own bookings, especially as I want minimum business class. They always seem to offer me a direct BA flight, but this can be expensive when trying to upgrade. I am happy to go with 1 stop to adjust the price - some of the Middle East airlines offer good deals. If you are staying overnight before boarding, it's never an issue arranging your own flights.

An example for my upcoming trip is Cunard offered BA to HK, returning from SIN with a 1 way outbound WT+ upgrade at £590, Club at £1880. If I wanted a round trip upgrade it was £790 in WT+ on BA and £3780 in business on Singapore Airlines. I got the whole trip for £1700 in business from BHX with Lufthhansa (changing in Germany) which uses Lufthansa metal outbound and Singapore Airlines metal on the return, so a much better deal than Cunard can offer. The only thing you don't get is transfers, but for the massive saving, I can afford a taxi!

The only time we used Cunard's BA flight was when we flew to Tokyo and boarded the ship on the same day. Using their flight meant they would ensure we got the ship if the flight was delayed. We came back from Hong Kong using Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer miles. Cunard have no issues with you mixing and matching if you want to do it this way.

If flights have been released for your cruise (11 months in advance), do some price comparisons and then call their flight team to see what they are offering. If not released yet, do a dummy booking for this year just to give you a ballpark figure.

This of course can all go out of the window when airlines do sales as BA do around the Christmas period!

Edited by Lynnewob

Thank you Lynnewob for your reply & explanation. We will be travelling a few days prior to embarkation so have a few options.

Not long to wait for booking to open so will see what prices are like with and without flights. As it's not until March 2020, we have plenty of time.

• 1 month later...
Hi,if it is anything like Princess air you get a choice of different schedules similar to Expedia.We are flying to Singapore on the 2nd April via Qatar organised by our TA .We could have flown nonstop with BA but that was a few hundred quid dearer.Bearing in mind that includes return from Joburg after a landtour,cheers,Brian.

Good morning Brian and welcome home.

How did it all go on Queen Elizabeth?

I have a question for you.

I see that you said your flights were booked via a Travel Agent. Am I correct in thinking that the TA didn't use the Cunard Fly-Cruise price, which would include transfers, and arranged the flights independently of Cunard.

Good morning Brian and welcome home.

How did it all go on Queen Elizabeth?

I have a question for you.

I see that you said your flights were booked via a Travel Agent. Am I correct in thinking that the TA didn't use the Cunard Fly-Cruise price, which would include transfers, and arranged the flights independently of Cunard.

Hi,yes,finally back in Italy where we live most of the time and have permanent internet,so will get round to posting my first ever review.There seems to be a bit of fake news posted about Cunard,which I discovered.Our package was quite complex organised by the TA with block bookings with QR,Emirates and BA according to customers location and choice.Ours was LHR-SIN via Doha,1 night hotel,19 day cruise,2 nights Capetown,CT-Victoria via Joburg,4 nights at Victoria and finally home via JB and Doha,all transfers and breakfast inc.Very well organised,but probably different from Cunards Expedia type combos (assuming they are the same as Princess),cheers,Brian.

Thanks to all - and Brian. Your arrangements sounded quite complex. Well we have booked the segment for 2020 and now have to wait for approx 10 mths for the flights to open up, which is what we thought. We have booked the entire package ie. Cruise + flights from Heathrow through our regular TA and Cunard have told them that we will be able to deviate our flight dates to suit our requirements when they open up - we can even choose to book our flights ourselves and have them taken off the package if we prefer. So we will have plenty of choice.....hopefully we will be able to fly direct.

Hi,yes,finally back in Italy where we live most of the time and have permanent internet,so will get round to posting my first ever review.There seems to be a bit of fake news posted about Cunard,which I discovered.Our package was quite complex organised by the TA with block bookings with QR,Emirates and BA according to customers location and choice.Ours was LHR-SIN via Doha,1 night hotel,19 day cruise,2 nights Capetown,CT-Victoria via Joburg,4 nights at Victoria and finally home via JB and Doha,all transfers and breakfast inc.Very well organised,but probably different from Cunards Expedia type combos (assuming they are the same as Princess),cheers,Brian.

Thanks Brian.

I remembered your plans etc and am conducting a little experiment with a future Cunard cruise out of Asia which we booked cruise only before flights were released.

Like your cruise the embarkation and disembarkation ports are different which kind of precludes good straight flight deals.

Of course my aim is to come in below the Cunard fare included price and achieve direct flights.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Thanks Brian.

I remembered your plans etc and am conducting a little experiment with a future Cunard cruise out of Asia which we booked cruise only before flights were released.

Like your cruise the embarkation and disembarkation ports are different which kind of precludes good straight flight deals.

Of course my aim is to come in below the Cunard fare included price and achieve direct flights.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Hi,open jaw or multicity flights are reasonable as long as they are booked with the same airline or codeshare.We prefer to book our own flights with the company I previously mentioned but still book transfers with the cruiseline.For example we flew into Fairbanks with Delta,early hours of the morning and the Princess lodge picked us up and we were asleep in our room in less than 11/2 hrs.At the end of the cruise we booked a debark tour to Miami airport and flew back with Virgin,codesharing with Delta.As you probably know I wouldn't fly in the day of cruise,although Princess air had us fly into Auckland via Hong Kong 27 hrs and land ontime 6 hrs before sailaway.A calculated gamble on their part as the next port was only 200 miles up the road,but a bit stressful for us,lol.Cheers,Brian.

Cunard are very reasonable about booking flights to suit the individual. They booked us Qatar flights to Saigon, at an amazingly cheap price for business, when the ship wasn't even calling there! Then we booked our own flights to Singapore to join the ship.