Lanai doors left open

SetAnOpenCourse

As a solo who pays 200% for a Veranda, the difference in price is significant, and the Lanai still offers access to fresh air, light, and IMO a better view.

Good points! We like having lots of glass, and the lanai is generally much cheaper than a verandah.

I think for a solo the lanais are the perfect compromise - space and price wise....A lanai to me, when cost effective for solo travel, is open to ship's activities, people watching, meeting and greeting right from your very own cozy lounge chair perch. My sister and friend loved it, but they were pulling the suit cases out from under their beds all the time for more incabin storage

After seeing their experience, I personally would feel very cramped with two people in a lanai. Same with the inside cabin I had - fine for one person to move about, but it would be a stretch for two. Maybe HAL should also market the lanais as "deluxe solos".

We found there was plenty of storage in the closets and drawers, but we travel relatively light.

Save for having to squeeze between the wall and the bed, we didn't think the cabin was badly-sized...but we've camped in tents that were about 4x7, so my idea of cramped may be different from many :) After 43 years, we've grown accustomed to being around each other (mostly).

You are right and those doors certainly should not b left open and there are notes on the doors saying so. Seems to be another case of people who think the rule is for everyone else but not for them..... Thye don't care if they upset the a/c for other cabins on their same line. Selfish, inconsiderate, irresponsible people.

Plus, anyone could walk through that open door at any time and who know what that might lead to.

Sail, you couldn't have said it better. Some people today with their self entitlement is becoming overwhelming. "The rules don't apply to me." I am not sure what drives this attitiude but is it becoming more and more present in social enviroments. Personally, I find it obnoxious and distasteful. Who cares if your cabin isn't getting below 80 degrees because "We've got our lani open and that is the way we like it."

There will be double glass doors leading out to the balcony that fold open to completely open the balcony to the room. At the balcony railing, there is a large window that can be raised to make the balcony an interior space.

enhance

These are very similar in design the the Scenic River Cruise boats. When you open the balcony doors the aircon is automatically turned off. We had our balcony doors open for almost all of our cruise.

There will be double glass doors leading out to the balcony that fold open to completely open the balcony to the room. At the balcony railing, there is a large window that can be raised to make the balcony an interior space.

enhance

Sounds like the design on the 'Scenic' river boats in Europe. Quite nice, I was rafted next to one once. Nice for bad or cold weather and still have a balcony.

ETA: Stratheden - I did not see your post until after my post. I hope that wasn't your room that I was admiring on Scenic. :)

Edited by Happily@Sea

A design engineer who could not predict passenger behavior in regards to retrofitting patio doors on the Lanai should have gone looking for different employment.

Of course they could predict passenger behavior, but it is simply, again, cost vs. reward. The cost to completely isolate each cabin from the fresh air supply when the doors are open is far outweighed by any potential complaint and loss of revenue from requiring the doors be kept closed. The lanai cabins are no different from balcony cabins in this regard, and they have years of experience with passengers leaving the doors open there, yet they can't justify the cost to change the system.

If I recall correctly when we sailed on the Maasdam a year or so ago, the lanai s/rooms had a low picket fence delineating their portion of the 'shared' veranda. And, yes, some had the doors propped open. No wonder we had a problem with our a/c not cooling! GRRR!!

If I recall correctly when we sailed on the Maasdam a year or so ago' date=' the lanai s/rooms had a low picket fence delineating their portion of the 'shared' veranda. And, yes, some had the doors propped open. No wonder we had a problem with our a/c not cooling! GRRR!![/quote']

No picket fences on the Maasdam. But that looks like the plan with the Carnival Havana Cabanas on one deck - fences and partitions between the cabins but also on a private, key entry deck where everyone knows the "rules".

Understanding this issue about passengers forcing open balcony doors means complaints need to be made about any A/C issues sooner rather than later so ship's staff can isolate a problem. Assuming up front this is due soley to "HAL failed maintenance" helps no one. But it is also important to know HAL's official temperature range for cabin comfort goes up to 75 F degrees, which can often be perceived as "too hot" particularly in hotter climate zones, which then may have nothing at all to do with open or closed balcony doors.

From reports about the Lanai doors being heavy to open and automatically closing, one could assume this was one more passive way of engineering a respectful compliance, with the intent they were meant to be kept closed.

:D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh. I think all that gray contributes to that feeling.

I wish design mavens would get over gray and move on to a less depressing color.

Those colors are in style with today’s modern contemporary trend. I understand it because I live in a contemporary city. Personally, I think the Edge is beautiful. But I can see how some prefer more traditional styles, especially older generations.

One thing that can be said about Celebrity that HAL can’t say (actually, there are several things) is that Celebrity is looking forward to future generations.

Sail, you couldn't have said it better. Some people today with their self entitlement is becoming overwhelming. "The rules don't apply to me." I am not sure what drives this attitiude but is it becoming more and more present in social enviroments. Personally, I find it obnoxious and distasteful. Who cares if your cabin isn't getting below 80 degrees because "We've got our lani open and that is the way we like it."

There does seem to be a lot of 'the rules don't apply to me' type attitudes these days. IIt is my feeling people know to leAve those doors closed but don't care. The y want it the way they want it no matter irF IT makes others uncomfortable,

:D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh. I think all that gray contributes to that feeling.

I wish design mavens would get over gray and move on to a less depressing color.

Aha, good observation. And yeah, gray has hopefully hit its peak. Especially at sea. Another plus on my Rotterdam cruise was the variety of colors provided by the orchids on Lido tables. Oops, this could be the mother of all thread drifts. ☺️

Anyway, whatever cruise line that pictured ship belongs to should be careful not to add anything that resemble vertical steel bars...

It might be fun to see a bird fly through one of those open lanai (or balcony, for that matter) and make a mess in the passengers' things trying to get back out. Those passengers deserve it.

Not nice for the bird, so I really don't want it to happen, but the mental image makes me smile.

I find this in poor spirit for this forum.

Disagree. You chose to quote only a few words instead of the entire post.

I have quoted it above since your abbreviated post distorts the context of the message IMO.

Whe the A/C / heat fails to work properly in your room because someone has left the door open you might feel the same way.

Disagree. You chose to quote only a few words instead of the entire post.

I have quoted it above since your abbreviated post distorts the context of the message IMO.

Whe the A/C / heat fails to work properly in your room because someone has left the door open you might feel the same way.

People who take pleasure and say others "deserve" misfortune for leaving a sliding door open are out of line. That's poor spirit for this forum. Why would anyone take pleasure in misfortune of another? Maybe just how I was raised.

People who take pleasure and say others "deserve" misfortune for leaving a sliding door open are out of line. That's poor spirit for this forum. Why would anyone take pleasure in misfortune of another? Maybe just how I was raised.

Are you saying that when people break the rules they deserve no consequences?

Are you saying that when people break the rules they deserve no consequences?

No, not at all.

I am saying wishing poor outcome on someone and saying "they deserve it" for a minor oversight like leaving a patio door open is really mean spirited for this forum. Everyone is white knighting for the poster that made the comments, but she is fully capable to own up to her comments. A simple "I hadn't thought of that, maybe it's not in good spirit" would suffice.

I don't go through life wishing bad things on people that make a careless, innocent mistake. I'd imagine it's a bitter and negative way to get through the day.

• Like 1

I’m with Ruth and Kazu on this. It’s called “natural consequences”.

You can defend rudeness or you can reject it. Choice is yours. Inappropriate on this forum, just my opinion. Being kind is free and easy. Takes work to be rude.

Most people understand that going without air circulation in their cabin because selfish people insist on keeping their door open is a lot more than a "minor inconvenience".

To argue with someone who can't comprehend that is an exercise in futility.