Is There a Library on the Westerdam?

Mr Astro

My traveling companions have asked me to ask CC if there is a library on the Westerdam. They looked at HAL's web site and could not find any info that says so.

Can anyone confirm that there is, or is not, a library on board?

My traveling companions have asked me to ask CC if there is a library on the Westerdam. They looked at HAL's web site and could not find any info that says so.

Can anyone confirm that there is, or is not, a library on board?

We just canceled a long cruise on the Westerdam after seeing what they did to the already poor library space the Westerdam used to have - it has now been reduced to a few cubicles on the wall near some computer screens in a part of the Crows Nest - the compromised library location has not changed, but it sure looks like the offerings have. Apparently some travel books and some coffee table sized display books. Not for us on a cruise with long at-sea days. We moved back to the older HAL ships that still know what an at-sea library should be like. Someone recently posted photos here.

We were on the same cruise as Calteacher. There is a small library, where most of the books, non-fiction, are to be read in the Crow’s Neat. There were a few fiction books and exchange books on the other side ofthe Crow’s Nest in what was the Captain’s Corner. Overall, I felt it was a very poor selecrion. There was too much unsed open space. What a waste of a good space.

We were also very disappointed with the "new" Crow's Nest on Westerdam. The library is not what we are accustomed to enjoying on board. Basically, it is now just a few rather uninteresting and ill chosen books that are only to be read there and not removed from that area.

I can't help wondering if HAL has decided that their new target demographic is illiterate.

I would think the thought would be most people have electronic alternatives for reading now and they can save money by reducing the libraries. Although I realize from previous threads that many longtime HAL cruisers seem to prefer hard copy books over electronic forms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our CD last fall on the Kdam was asked... was the book filled library we were used to going the way of the dodo bird?

His reply was that HAL was spending thousands of dollars yearly on replacing ripped, stained or just plain stolen books and this new library was the future.

I urge readers to bring books/magazines that have been read to the library for the enjoyment of others

If you are unhappy mention this in your surveys

Bob

I would think the thought would be most people have electronic alternatives for reading now and they can save money by reducing the libraries. Although I realize from previous threads that many longtime HAL cruisers seem to prefer hard copy books over electronic forms.

We do, but it is inexcusable that HAL would think that cruisers on long cruises do not want a library. Even Carnival has libraries. We are on a 89-day cruise, and it will be our last cruise on HAL of they have removed most of the books from the Amsterdam's library. I would like to see the $ amount spent on libraries by Hal, and how much additional it would add to fares. Right now we are faced with either spending a lot of money on books to download to our readers or possibly going without reading material. Downloading from libraries may be possible, but it sure isn't as convenient or comfortable as browsing through a library.

Our CD last fall on the Kdam was asked... was the book filled library we were used to going the way of the dodo bird?

His reply was that HAL was spending thousands of dollars yearly on replacing ripped, stained or just plain stolen books and this new library was the future.

I urge readers to bring books/magazines that have been read to the library for the enjoyment of others

If you are unhappy mention this in your surveys

Bob

If every passenger, on every ship, on every cruise brought three books to be left in one location they may get the message in a less than subtle manner.

I can't help wondering if HAL has decided that their new target demographic is illiterate.

I have never used the library on HAL and couldn’t care less. That said , I am an avid reader. I’d never leave my vacation reading material up to chance. I select my books carefully. I used to lug them in my suitcase. Now I just load up my Kindle. Maybe they think their target passengers have e readers