Is it time for Cunard and other lines to boycott Russia?

Lanky Lad

if you don’t want to go to Russia don't go, but don't force your views on others . Try and persuade others not to go by all means but it should be their decision.

I made a visit to St Petersburg in 2002, but I won't go back under their current administration. You could make the same claim for people not wanting to visit the United States, but of course there are degrees of what makes a negative leader. ;)

Enjoy!

Kel

Too many people turn a blind eye to countries with fascist regimes that commit horrible crimes against their citizens and others. Many people visited Hitler Germany before WWII, ignoring its abuses and killings. In my opinion, Russia, Turkey, Israel, China, the Philippines and many other countries should be shunned, but too many people wish to ignore their atrocities.

Given the recent events in Salisbury, and many other places around the world, is it time for cruise ships/passengers to stop calling at Russian ports?

While I share your outrage at the poisonings etc. if we boycott all the ports and countries in the world that offends at least some of the passengers consist, we shall be left with a rather thin slice. There are those who would have all lines not stop in the US for certain reasons. Vietnam comes to mind as does Germany, Japan. all of the middle east and now S. Africa with their taking of all white farms. And the beat goes on. There was an old folk song that ends up with No one likes anyone very much or something to that tune.

I think a lot of comments have been missing the point...... RUSSIA has committed crimes ON BRITISH SOIL The other countries that have been mentioned for various atrocities and human abuse records are a matter for their respective Governments and law enforcement agencies.

I think a lot of comments have been missing the point...... RUSSIA has committed crimes ON BRITISH SOIL The other countries that have been mentioned for various atrocities and human abuse records are a matter for their respective Governments and law enforcement agencies.

It has not been confirmed the Prime Minister has only stated "it is highly likely".

If cruise lines omit St Petersberg I don’t think they will sell many Baltic cruises. As with many here I have visited there a few times before but wouldn’t go now if only from the personal safety aspect. It is a brilliant city to visit as Egypt is country, but I wouldn’t go there either now.

DAVID.

If cruise lines omit St Petersberg I don’t think they will sell many Baltic cruises. As with many here I have visited there a few times before but wouldn’t go now if only from the personal safety aspect. It is a brilliant city to visit as Egypt is country, but I wouldn’t go there either now.

DAVID.

Not sure what you mean by "personal safety " aspect? We were in SPB on QV 5 years ago and are going again on QE in May. We have used TJ Tours as our tour guide in a minibus of 16 people. Under the circumstances of being accompanied by the guide at all times , I could not have felt safer last time and expect it again this time. I am not sure how the current political situation would affect anybody's personal safety?? As to the sexual preference situation - it is not something that I publicly express anywhere

As a white man, I try not to question or discount reports by people of color of bigotry or mistreatment, simply because I don't happen to see it. Might I suggest that a straight, married man may be unaware of things that a gay passenger could find threatening.

Personally, when we toured St Petersburg, we did not use a tour group but got a visa and used a private guide. As part of our visit, we visited a gay bar. For those unaware, gay bars have been the center of our community for decades and are part of meeting the people of a city. These days, with bombs and raids, I would not feel safe. Would I consider such a thing likely? Of course not - but it doesn't make for a vacation I'm going to choose.

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

As a white man, I try not to question or discount reports by people of color of bigotry or mistreatment, simply because I don't happen to see it. Might I suggest that a straight, married man may be unaware of things that a gay passenger could find threatening.

- Mark

But unless you make it known how would anyone know the difference of a white straight man, dont know what married has to do with it, or a gay man so why would you feel threatened.

I hope Princess does not boycott Russia, we are on Sapphire Princess to St Petersburg in June. St Petersburg is the big drawcard for the Baltic cruises operated by many cruise lines, Cunard is but one.

Why hit those Russians who live on the tourist dollar? :halo:

These are untested allegations re the Russians using poison on 'British Soil.' Could be the Mafia not the Russian Government.

As has been said, we the 'Allies' fought Italy, Germany, Vietnam, Japan, yet we still visit there, I have been to those countries on land and sea with no issue. How many Brits moved out of UK to go and live in Italy etc?

Edited by NSWP

If Cunard excluded Countries with bad human rights records, those with (recent) histories of violence against others and those who treat their citizens with contempt, the World Cruises would be shortened dramatically.

As for Russia, even as a Brit (now living in Canada), I do find it odd that Russia would choose so brazenly to conduct such an apparent attack on UK soil. The facts are not yet clear and until they are (as history, even across the last 25 years, has taught us), to make dramatic decisions would I feel be a mistake.

It's best not to mix politics and travel methinks both in a practical fashion and on a forum like this.

But I think it's worth pointing out that like almost all cruise lines today, Cunard is not an national instrument of Great Britain. Or any other country. It's an American owned component of a large international operation whose real owners are shareholders from every corner of the globe. Indeed, its ships are not even registered in Britain anymore. The fact a Bermuda registered ship can be allowed to fly the Red Ensign (instead of Bermuda's own "defaced" Red Ensign) is but another fiddle. Cunard's "Britishness" is more a marketing contrivance than anything else like the plastic Bobby helmets sold in London souvenir shops that are made in... China.

Edited by kohl57

I hope Princess does not boycott Russia, we are on Sapphire Princess to St Petersburg in June. St Petersburg is the big drawcard for the Baltic cruises operated by many cruise lines, Cunard is but one.

Why hit those Russians who live on the tourist dollar? :halo:

These are untested allegations re the Russians using poison on 'British Soil.' Could be the Mafia not the Russian Government.

As has been said, we the 'Allies' fought Italy, Germany, Vietnam, Japan, yet we still visit there, I have been to those countries on land and sea with no issue. How many Brits moved out of UK to go and live in Italy etc?

What is the difference between the Russian Government and the Russian Mafia ? If you lived in UK (which has a free press) there is overwhelming evidence of Russian involvement. Even the French and German Governments agree with the UK . Please enjoy your visit to St Petersburgh,it is a very interesting city.

Given the recent events in Salisbury, and many other places around the world, is it time for cruise ships/passengers to stop calling at Russian ports?

Only if there is PROOF of Russian State blame. It is easy to point the finger and yell "It was Russia", but until an investigation has been carried out in a calm and mature manner, I will keep an open mind.

I just wish our politicians would do the same instead of appearing to react like hysterical children with just supposition and without waiting for proof. For once in my life I find myself agreeing with Corbyns calm and reasonable take on the matter.

If proof is found it would be apt for all cruise lines to avoid Russia, as long as it is proof and not media hysteria.

I don't like Putin; I don't like Trump.

I don't like what Putin ordered to happen in Salisbury; I don't know how many former spies have been assassinated outside the US by US operatives in the last few decades, but I doubt if the figure is zero.

Putin has lied about Salisbury; Trump . . . .

I deplore the homophobia of Russia; I deplore the Islamophobia and xenophobia of the current US administration.

Hmm.

Only if there is PROOF of Russian State blame. It is easy to point the finger and yell "It was Russia", but until an investigation has been carried out in a calm and mature manner, I will keep an open mind.

I just wish our politicians would do the same instead of appearing to react like hysterical children with just supposition and without waiting for proof. For once in my life I find myself agreeing with Corbyns calm and reasonable take on the matter.

If proof is found it would be apt for all cruise lines to avoid Russia, as long as it is proof and not media hysteria.

It is unfortunate that many people today are wlling to accept an accusation as being guilt. No proof needed.

I cannot see proof of this type of case being presented. If all the evidence was presented it would enable each other to work out how the evidence was collected. In this respect it would reveal a lot about ones home security and systems in place to gather intelligence.

If a major political statement was to be made by a cruise line and its passengers, it would be for a huge ship to dock and absolutely nobody bothers to disembark to look round. That would be a statement.

Regards John

I don't like Putin; I don't like Trump.

I don't like what Putin ordered to happen in Salisbury; I don't know how many former spies have been assassinated outside the US by US operatives in the last few decades, but I doubt if the figure is zero.

Putin has lied about Salisbury; Trump . . . .

I deplore the homophobia of Russia; I deplore the Islamophobia and xenophobia of the current US administration.

Hmm.

Russian ambassador to UK hinted on Channel 4 that visas for UK citizens might become harder to obtain, whether this would apply to cruse ships passengers remain s to be seen

Russian ambassador to UK hinted on Channel 4 that visas for UK citizens might become harder to obtain, whether this would apply to cruse ships passengers remain s to be seen

Having to get a visa just for 2 days in St Petersburg when doing ships's shorex would be a pain. If the Ruskis pull that stunt then I reckon all the cruise lines should boycott the joint.

Having to get a visa just for 2 days in St Petersburg when doing ships's shorex would be a pain. If the Ruskis pull that stunt then I reckon all the cruise lines should boycott the joint.

The problem being that St Petersburg seems to be seen as the highlight of every Baltic cruise, so the whole Baltic trade would be adversely affected.

The problem being that St Petersburg seems to be seen as the highlight of every Baltic cruise, so the whole Baltic trade would be adversely affected.

I agree and if Russia rules that every UK passport holder visiting SP even on a ship's tour needs a visa, then that rule might be passed onto the 'Allies', i.e. USA, Canada, Australia.:loudcry: :loudcry:

Heard about the possible Visa issue for UK Passport Holders visiting Russia, on BBC News the other day.

I agree and if Russia rules that every UK passport holder visiting SP even on a ship's tour needs a visa, then that rule might be passed onto the 'Allies', i.e. USA, Canada, Australia.:loudcry: :loudcry:

Heard about the possible Visa issue for UK Passport Holders visiting Russia, on BBC News the other day.

cruise ships issue visa forms on board before ST Petersburg, these are handed to immigration control together with your excursion ticket, you can only do a ship excursion or a tour organised by a recognised tour company such as Alla Tours

cruise ships issue visa forms on board before ST Petersburg, these are handed to immigration control together with your excursion ticket, you can only do a ship excursion or a tour organised by a recognised tour company such as Alla Tours

Yes we have booked Princess shorex for two days at St Petersburg whilst on Sapphire Princess Thanks.:halo: