Carnival Sunshine for Family Cruise? (Loyal to Royal Cruisers)

We have been considering a family cruise as a high school graduation gift to our older granddaughter (Summer 2019). We would want to be able to drive to the port,as flights for our whole gang would be more $$ than we would be willing to spend. We had been looking at a 4-day cruise on Mariner (we’d love to do Oasis, but again too much $$). The family consists of our older son (40 yr.old single dad) and his daughter (18 yr. old grad), younger son and his wife (late 30’s) and younger granddaughter (3 yr. at the time of the cruise, and Poppy and Nana (mid-60’s and D on RCCL). Second son and wife are (understandably) concerned about an almost 10-hour drive with a 3-year-old. Other than N & P, others have been on one or two cruises, all on small ships.

I just noticed that Carnival is bringing the Sunshine to Charleston and is offering five-day cruises. Charleston is less than five-hour drive for us. We feel that a shorter drive would cause way less angst for the family with the toddler and we’d have an extra day at sea. N & P have not cruised Carnival for a long time. I should point out that we are not picky cruisers and have enjoyed immensely every cruise we’ve taken. I know that many say they’d never take another Carnival cruise, but this trip would be all about the family, and the honoree and her dad love water parks.

What do you all think? Would we be disappointed? (Does Nana overuse parentheses?)

This may not be much help, avid NCL cruiser here who just returned from our first carnival cruise Friday. Took my oldest on a 4 day spring break cruise on the Victory. We've been sailing the larger, newer ships on 7 day sailings. My sister and I were lovingly calling this my "rust bucket cruise!" But, we LOVED it!!! We had a wonderful time. The ship was in great shape. The MDR was the only full service dining choice

(We tend to do only speciality restaurants) and we also loved

That! Service and food both excellent. Staff was incredibly friendly. Vibe was fun and laid back. There were way fewer announcements trying to sell me something and I found that refreshing. Anyway, I cannot compare to RCCL, we have our first sailing on HOTS in two weeks for my youngest's spring break but I'd said he victory again in a heartbeat!!! Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a full review on Carnival's page if you want to check it out. I was shocked at how nice the older ship looked!!! Enjoy your extended family cruise. What fun!! How can you go wrong...

This may not be much help, avid NCL cruiser here who just returned from our first carnival cruise Friday. Took my oldest on a 4 day spring break cruise on the Victory. We've been sailing the larger, newer ships on 7 day sailings. My sister and I were lovingly calling this my "rust bucket cruise!" But, we LOVED it!!! We had a wonderful time. The ship was in great shape. The MDR was the only full service dining choice

(We tend to do only speciality restaurants) and we also loved

That! Service and food both excellent. Staff was incredibly friendly. Vibe was fun and laid back. There were way fewer announcements trying to sell me something and I found that refreshing. Anyway, I cannot compare to RCCL, we have our first sailing on HOTS in two weeks for my youngest's spring break but I'd said he victory again in a heartbeat!!! Good luck!!!

Thank you! We totally enjoyed POA when we cruised Hawaii with NCL. So much of cruising is attitude!

One more thing, we didn't have to make reservations for anything! Since

Mom is the family planner, it was refreshing... fewer choices made it less stressful! I'd take a shorter drive and longer cruise any day!!! Enjoy!!

I wish I could help, but I haven't yet been on Carnival, though I think the shorter drive and extra day seem like pretty compelling reasons to give it a try.

You might try posting this over at the Carnival forum and I'm sure you'd get more answers.

And, really, it sounds like you'll have a blast just celebrating together so the ship isn't as important as being able to do it together. (But that's just my two cents.)

It sounds like a fabulous Senior trip to me.

I really liked the Sunshine. It wasn't too big, wasn't too small. The only complaint I have about it is that the decor is kind of mismatched. Most of the ship looks modern, but the theater area and atrium of the ship are dated. It didn't take away anything from our cruise but it looked a little off seeing beautiful refurbished areas then walking into a theater that looked like a yearbook photo backdrop from the early 90's. The food was really good on the Sunshine and the Alchemy Bar was really fun! We also loved the dive in movies.

We would really rather cruise RCCL, but our last 4 cruises have been on Carnival because of cost (family vacations). We did the Sunshine last year, it was a southern Caribbean cruise and we really had a good time. The ship is in really good shape. The crew was fantastic in fact we saw a couple of them on the Dream this year and they remembered us.

The ship is smaller and cut up kind of weird but it is easy to navigate.

You will have a good time don't worry about it.

Our last 2 cruises were on the Sunshine. She's a good old ship with lots to do (OK, not as much as RCI Oasis class!) the one in January was my hubby and I, our mothers (70) and our 2 youngest sons (19 and 15.).

Go for it!

I’ve been on the Sunshine twice and I like her. She’s not a huge ship, so if you need the ice shows to feel happy, don’t do it. But if you like to hang out by the pool or a bar, or with your family? Good times, you’ll have a blast.

I took my toddler, then 2.5 on the Sunshine last fall and it was the best time. Every one of the staff doted on her. She made friends with the guys at the taco stand, and bartenders, and the singers... and that’s before she set foot in the kids club! There’s also a little playground with a good pirate ship climbing structure that was just her speed. She adored the auto hand washing machines.

The pool is small, again fine for us with a toddler.

It was a low key, very relaxed family vacation. I don’t know if that’s what your teenager wants, but the little one will be fine.

Yes the Sunshine as a very nice ship. We liked that the 'water park' was at the back of the ship away from the main pool area. It seemed to be more private back there. We really enjoyed the layout of the ship as well. I wouldn't hesitate to go on that ship again.

I have been on the Sunshine and had a great time. Port of Charleston is not the easiest to navigate, but it wasn't horrible. I am looking forward to the Sunshine sailing out of Charleston in 2019 for some quick getaways.