taking belongings off the ship before the end of the cruise

JJAuckland

I am on a Christmas cruise in Australia/New Zealand this year & one of the Ports, Auckland, is my home port & we arrive there 3 days before the end of a 16 day cruise.

My question is this....does anyone know if I can take off a carry on bag, as I was thinking of heading home for the day, checking the house, doing a bit of washing (hence the carry on bag) & leaving those clothes at home...making room for all the "purchases" made during the cruise for the flight back home from Sydney ..avoiding any chance of "overweight" luggage ? My sister says I won't be allowed to ...any thoughts, or has anyone done this?

I am on a Christmas cruise in Australia/New Zealand this year & one of the Ports, Auckland, is my home port & we arrive there 3 days before the end of a 16 day cruise.

My question is this....does anyone know if I can take off a carry on bag, as I was thinking of heading home for the day, checking the house, doing a bit of washing (hence the carry on bag) & leaving those clothes at home...making room for all the "purchases" made during the cruise for the flight back home from Sydney ..avoiding any chance of "overweight" luggage ? My sister says I won't be allowed to ...any thoughts, or has anyone done this?

Make a note to yourself and ask the Hotel Director when you board your cruise. He would be able to give you the most accurate information.

I can't see what would prevent you from doing this. People take backpacks and big duffel bags off the ship for excursions all the time.

Absolutely you can. People haul all kinds of things on and off ships when going to beaches or various excursions. I think this is smart, and it also made me giggle. I can’t imagine going home in the middle of a cruise, then finishing the cruise. That’s great! (Not possible where I live).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely you can. People haul all kinds of things on and off ships when going to beaches or various excursions. I think this is smart, and it also made me giggle. I can’t imagine going home in the middle of a cruise, then finishing the cruise. That’s great! (Not possible where I live).

Thanks LrgPizza - It suddenly came to me.....I don't need to do any trips in Auckland, so I could go home, catch up on a few things & have the added bonus of being able to shop (even more) in Sydney before flying home with all the extra room in my case :-) and less laundry to do when I get there

I thought it was interesting too!

Sounds like a good plan except for the laundry part. I'd let it sit for a few more days, your on vacation. Why do house work when you could go back to the ship and just relax by the pool while everyone else is ashore?

We did a similar thing on a previous cruise. Our cruise was round trip out of NYC and two days prior to the end, it called on Boston where we live. We packed up everything we didn’t need for the last few days, and handed it our daughter at the Boston port. We did request that the laundry be done before delivery to our home! LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I too would confirm this when on board.

Keith

They often do this but you just never know. Sometimes the local authorities make changes.

Keith

There are no local authorities that will prevent one from taking their own clothing off a ship. [emoji849]

Thank you everyone for your responses. Don't worry Barb, this will be my longest cruise, all others have just been 7 days & I always leave wanting more so I will be home & back to the ship in a flash...not wanting to miss much of "in port" relaxing onboard

I had a home port stop in Boston on a Canada New England cruise. My plan was to take everything I didn't need off the ship instead of flying it all home from NY at the end. I was stopped and made to return everything to my cabin because there was no customs agent to clear my luggage. I stuffed what I could into a small carry on and they left me alone. Just one possibility of what can happen.

Sounds like a good plan except for the laundry part. I'd let it sit for a few more days, your on vacation. Why do house work when you could go back to the ship and just relax by the pool while everyone else is ashore?

Agreed...