Cancel a Viator tour?

Viator's terms and conditions state that for tours (unless otherwise stated) refunds are granted if cancelled before 7 days from the date of the tour.

I just wanted to know if the firm's policy was supported by practice. I have read on cc and elsewhere of firms that may delay refunds by months or even deny cancellations based on some other technicality.

Here is their published policy.

Payments & Cancellations

Viator accepts the following credit cards: Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover.

There is no charge or service fee for processing credit or debit card payments.

Full payment by credit or debit card is required to make a reservation. Payment will be listed as VIATOR TOURS & ATTRACTIONS or VIATOR on the credit or debit card statement.

No refunds are available once a tour or service has commenced, or in respect of any package, accommodation, meals or any other services utilized.

Canceling a booking with Viator can result in cancellation fees being applied by Viator, as outlined below. Additional fees may be levied by the individual supplier/operator (see your Viator Voucher for specific details). When canceling any booking you will be notified via email, facsimile or telephone of the total cancellation fees.

Event, Attraction, Theater, Show or Coupon Ticket

These are non-refundable in all circumstances.

Gift Certificate

These are non-refundable in all circumstances.

Other Tour Products & Services

If you cancel at least 7 calendar days in advance, there is no cancellation fee.

If you cancel between 3 and 6 calendar days in advance, you will be charged a 50% cancellation fee.

If you cancel within 2 calendar days in advance, you will be charged a 100% cancellation fee.

The value of the transaction may be subject to taxes, foreign transaction, currency exchange or other fees. Your bank or credit or debit card company may convert the payment into the local currency and charge fees, resulting in differences between the amount displayed on Viator.com and Viator-affiliated websites, and the final amount charged to your bank account or credit or debit card statement. Please contact your bank or card company if you have any questions concerning any applicable conversion or fees. Please note for bookings made in Brazil, the tax IOF (Tax Upon Financial Operations, 6.38%) is not included in the final booking value and will be charged to the credit or debit card used to make the purchase.

I cancelled a Viator tour of DaVinci's The Last Supper in Milan a couple years ago. I had given up on getting tickets directly, so booked at about double the direct price. A day or two after I booked with Viator and 4 weeks before I planned to be there I was able to pickup the cheaper tickets so cancelled through Viator.

I cancelled 28 days in advance, and it took about 12 weeks for the refund to appear.

I cancelled a Viator tour of DaVinci's The Last Supper in Milan a couple years ago. I had given up on getting tickets directly, so booked at about double the direct price. A day or two after I booked with Viator and 4 weeks before I planned to be there I was able to pickup the cheaper tickets so cancelled through Viator.

I cancelled 28 days in advance, and it took about 12 weeks for the refund to appear.

Thanks Kathy,

Our Japan cruise is not until October, but the 10 percent off would save a lot on our $1200 Kyoto tour.

Refunds ALWAYS take longer to show up on your CC than do charges....don't know why, since they are both but "keystrokes", but the company usually waits until they know a charge has been paid before they will actually give the money back.....patience is key!

• 3 years later...

I have booked 2 adults on Thursday February 22nd at 1.00pm to do Kauai Deluxe Sightseeing Flight 1.00pm departure. I have sent emails to transfer companies to see if they can get us from cruise port to Airport, with no replies. We are 72 years old and I don't want to lose the $A 359.60. Thank you Vicki and Colin McMurtrie.