NCL Jade May 2-16, 2015

We just returned from the two week Jade cruise and had a wonderful time. Our travel group consisted of myself and my two daughters. One age 20 that had been studying abroad for the year and one age 24 who traveled to Florence with me to visit DD age 20, collect her things and take the cruise.

Overall we had a great cruise aboard the Jade. It is a smooth operation and we had no real issues with the cruise, our stateroom, and our DIY excursions. It was a very easy hassle free way to see so many places in a short amount of time and the ship was nice to come back to after long port days.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask and I'll try to answer. In almost all ports DIY was available right after getting off the ship and these ports were very easy to DIY. We had some tours booked with Trip Advisor recommended companies and one tour of Oia booked with the ship.

I’ll try and post some pictures along the way and at the end write what we did in ports.

image_zpsrfpg6roq.jpg?1432479817796&1432479821766

We flew into Pisa about a week prior to the cruise. British Airways lost our luggage. I normally never check luggage but since we were returning with DD’s checked luggage from a year study abroad I figured what the heck we’ll go ahead and check the luggage on the way over. Pisa airport lost and found office was located next to the luggage carousal and they were very helpful in filling out the required paper work and starting the tracking process. I will never check luggage again. It was a terrible pain having to arrange return of the luggage and we did not receive it until the night prior to getting on the ship

I had purchased trip insurance and the travel guard gold plan supposedly will be reimbursing us for delayed baggage. We needed to purchase some clothing to wear in Florence and it was not cheap. They were also quite helpful tracking down our luggage and kept me updated daily on the status. I saved the luggage tags, receipts for purchases and airline incident report. The insurance company has already sent me the forms needed and instructions. I just need to complete and return.

Regarding our flights; we used British Airways Avios. Their economy plus cabins were quite nice and were quite similar to us carrier domestic first class. The downside being that the taxes on flights thru LHR are quite high compared to other carriers.

After arrival in Pisa we took the Terivision bus from the airport to Florence. The bus is comfortable, has luggage storage underneath. It is also direct from the airport vs. needing to transfer to Pisa first and then transfer again to Florence if taking the train. Terrivision cost is 5 euro pp if purchased in advance and I think 9 euro if purchased on arrival. The Kiosk for purchase and to board the bus is outside the airport to the right. Upon arrival in Florence we were across the street from our hotel. The bus stop is at the train station. I booked the Grand Hotel Baglioni solely due to the proximity to the train station, again with dragging luggage in mind. Walking out the front door of the hotel there is underground access to the station thus no need to cross a cobble stone street. When we departed Florence for Venice it could not have been easier. The hotel breakfast was included, lovely and served at their rooftop restaurant. There was an outdoor garden and sitting area that overlooked the Duomo and we enjoyed our mornings eating breakfast outside with the city views.

Our daughter showed us the city and had fun playing tour guide with us. She had her favorite restaurants etc that she had to show us. She was a little too fast paced for me and I had to remind her that I simply was not used to walking all day every day from sunup till midnight. She had us pretty worn out by the time we got on the ship but we had a wonderful time.

Train tickets to Venice: I purchased online in advance at Trenitalia website. We took the train from Florence to Venice on May 2, embarkation day. We got off the train in Mestre as we had way too many bags to hassle with the people mover etc. Mestre required a descent of one staircase with our luggage. There were three of us and 6 pieces of maximum weight luggage due to the DD and her belongings from the school year. There are non-employee people offering to help you for a fee with your bags. One of the guys did help daughter down the stairs as she was struggling. She didn’t have any $ to give him and he didn’t hassle her. Once down the stairs there was an elevator to get to street level and taxi’s. The taxi was about 20 minutes max from Mestre station to the ships door and cost 35 euro. The NCL staff took our luggage from there and we didn’t see it again until it was promptly delivered to our stateroom.

I think we arrived in Mestre around 10:20 am and were on the ship by 11am. Check in was very easy and quick. I had wanted to purchase spa passes prior to getting on board however the girl selling them said that we would need to purchase each week separately and there was no two week pricing package. We purchased the one week for $129 and then found out once onboard that there was in fact a two package available for $199 pp. If you really want the spa passes I would suggest getting on board take a tour and make sure the spa passes are something you’ll want. It was a bit of a pain to switch to the two week passes. In hindsight we would have been better off just using the spa on the days we had treatments booked. One daughter used the spa twice in the two weeks’ time and I and other daughter used it 4 times, twice on days we had treatments booked. That’s just us though and other’s mileage may vary. We made excellent use of the spa on the Pearl and had fully intended on doing the same on the Jade. We just never seemed to have time to fit spa into our days this trip. I will say that each time we visited there was never a crowd.

The second week of the cruise one daughter and I used the spa and staff easily replaced our stickers on the new card keys but other daughter tried to get her sticker replaced a couple days later and was not successful. I found out the reason why she never went back to the spa was that they gave her such a hassle she said forget it and never got her sticker replaced for the second week

Just about everything else on the cruise went very well for us. I had booked the UDP the first week and UBP both weeks, both received as part of a booking promo. I made the dining reservations ahead of time and we ate dinners solely in specialty venues the first week. The food was excellent. The only thing I was not crazy about was lobster in Le Bistro but dd liked it. The second week we ate solely in the included dining options. We never got a chance to try the noodle bar, sushi bar or the Italian place. We also ate most breakfasts in Blue Lagoon. Note that on turn around day they are not open for breakfast. Blue Lagoon was fast and convenient. They had musili, fruit, juices, cold cereal and continental options if you were really in a hurry. They were also very nice about filling my pop or coffee cup when I happened to be walking by. Our room was very close to Blue Lagoon. If you want a bigger selection the Grand Pacific or Garden Café may be better choices. I didn’t see the push and shove in the Garden Café that I saw on the Pearl in Alaska. The Jade was pretty orderly and civil even though it was crowded.

Regarding booking a two week cruise as two separate cruises. Other than the spa sticker problems everything else went very smoothly. We were in the same cabin both legs. I simply went down to guest services the last evening after dinner and got the new cards and stickers for the next week. The morning of turnaround in Venice we were able to treat as a port day. We placed the stickers on our shirts and were not asked to partake in another lifeboat drill or wait to board/debark. The shipboard account also remained opened. This meant that the extra $200 OBC I had for the second week was applied to charges made on the first week and just one running bill for the two weeks and one final charge at the end of the cruise.

Entertainment: It was a mixed bag. Some was excellent and some not so much. It was all fun though. There are so many languages on board that the entertainment was more try to please all and probably only end up pleasing some. We enjoyed playing trivia, watching Karaoke, and even partook in a Bingo game for the Garden Villa upgrade. The family who won seemed very nice and it was exciting to see them win. The mix of nationalities and languages onboard is truly quite diverse but everyone seemed to make out ok. Our daughters met a group of friends while boarding the first week and so were very occupied with them. The second week that group left and I think they were a little burnt out with DJ Kevlar’s 15 dance party songs so they didn’t do the late night parties and spent more time hanging out with me on the ship.

I didn’t use the fitness center but one daughter did daily and said it seemed like everyone had the same thing in mind at the same time and also cleared out about the same time she did. So if you go during off times it should be ok but she said the peak times it was a little frustrating. The worst part she said is that they kept kicking her out of the stretching room to give a seminar about how to lose three inches or look 10 years younger.

Regarding the internet; The Jade has a very nice internet manager who can explain things easily to you and put an icon on your device so when you are ready to use the internet you can. The unlimited plan is $24.95/day. If you wait till day two it’s a little less. Each week on turnaround the system resets so internet is not available for a few hours.

I thankfully had printed copies of most of my necessary paperwork, tickets etc as well as on my phone because the phone was stolen in Venice on turnaround day. Up until the phone was stolen the iphone 6 and tmobile simple choice plan worked great. When we saw land from the ship we could usually tap into a provider. Greece had particularly fast internet speeds. All worked well enough and there were so many port days that we did not end up purchasing an internet package from the ship. I was tempted to purchase a package for the second leg of the cruise after the phone was stolen but ended up getting by using daughter’s phones in ports. We switched phones to airplane mode when the ship left port and not to check for service again until we saw land. No extra charges incurred and no need to hunt for wifi hot spots in ports to keep in touch. Typically if we saw land in the distance we would be able to get Cosmos gr service or another provider. I heard of several others who had their cell phones stolen in Venice so please beware. Everywhere else we visited I felt completely safe including in Turkey and Athens but I had an uneasy feeling in Venice, kind of like I was being watched the entire time we were there.

We had stateroom 8598 for both weeks. It is an obstructed ocean view handicapped room. I was hoping to upgrade to a balcony and noticed the price had come way down for the second week. I could have upgraded to a balcony for $20 total. My girls didn't want to switch rooms. They really liked our steward, the location of the room and didn't want to pack. So we stayed put.

The room actually sleeps four. We had plenty of room with the three of us including all of daughter's luggage which most fit under the bed. Had my husband come along we would have needed two rooms as it would have been too cramped with him along. I think he wouldn't have appreciated no balcony but for us three girls it worked out fine.

Edited by littlelulu01

Venice sail away. I had wanted to meet up with the cc roll call on deck 12 but I didn't see anyone wearing the necklaces identifying us. I ended up meeting some people from our roll call over the course of the cruise but my girls were not too interested in cc so I missed out on much of what the group did.

The ship had a sail away and it was exciting to be on the ship, in Venice and starting our journey. We had all our bags unpacked and were set for cruise mode by sail away. It started out sunny but then got windy so we ducked into Spinnaker and then ate dinner in Cagney's. The welcome show was fun, girls went out afterwards and I crashed. The next day was a sea day and a chance to relax, spa, and explore the ship. For the girls it was fun with their new found friends.

image_zpsmhryvzxd.jpg?1432489532937

image_zps5nnnewzc.jpg?1432489532944

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/Kimberlyhaney/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjljgbxv0.jpg?1432489532947

Corfu: We didn't really have a plan and were not in a big hurry to get off the ship. We got off after breakfast probably around 9:30. This is an easy DIY port. There is a free shuttle to take you to the port entrance. From there plenty of taxi's await as well as a public bus. We ended up walking toward town. We saw a fort wall and walked up a big hill following the wall. It took us to a lovely open air market with seafood, honey, fruits and vegetables. Then we walked toward town, purchased some waters for .50 each for large bottles from a news stand and explored the shops and town. We stumbled upon one of those fish spas and the girls got fish pedicures for 10 euro each. One daughter wanted to find a geocash so we did that and then wound our way back to the port along the sea. It's pretty straight forward and hard to get lost. It was a lot of walking and toward the end we were hot. We could have taken a taxi but it seemed silly because the walk was so pretty.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/Kimberlyhaney/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvmlaqgjy.jpg?1432489532907

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/Kimberlyhaney/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslcfk5vpm.jpg?1432489532958

image_zpsdvibc8v2.jpg?1432489532916

Great photos! We were on the May 9 - 16 sailing with you. 8 of us, all couples, friends. We had a blast with the UBP.

All ports we really enjoyed. We did 2 tours I arranged for the 8 of us before we left the US. Athens (PK Travel) and Ephesus (Ephesus Shuttle). Very happy I did. Both companies responded quickly to all emails and questions, were on time and showed us exactly what we wanted to see. The other ports we walked around on our own.

We had 2 days in Venice before and after the cruise. Sorry to hear of your iPhone being stolen! It was so crowded in Venice, I can see how that could happen. Fortunately, we had no problems with pick pockets.

I wrote a short review on the reviews page of CC. It hasn't been posted yet.

We really enjoyed the entire cruise, the food, drinks, ports, crew and other passengers. Everyone was out to have a good time.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Thira/Santorini: This is where I think I made a mistake. I had read that there were long lines for tenders, the cable car, and that by the time you reached Oia it would be overrun so I opted to pay $70 pp for a ship excursion that provided transportation to Oia and back. Perhaps this would be a good idea when the town is overrun with ships but on our day there was only one or two other ships in port. We were to meet in Stardust theater at 1:40. We didn't end up leaving the ship till 2:30? The people who got off the ship without a tour took a boat for a few euro pp directly to Oia that included a bus up to Oia and then back to Fira. Our tour however tendered us to another port much further away where we then boarded buses. We were on something like bus #23 and reached Oia about 3:30pm. I think we had less than an hour there before we got back on the bus to Fira. We did manage to salvage the hurried picture taking op and found a really nice place where the owner gave us a quick bite and some nice conversation. The ship excursion was not what I was expecting. I did complain and was refunded part of our tour price which I felt fair. It made me kind of mad though that the tour ended up just taking way too long on a bus and waiting to get on a bus and tender vs. everyone else who just got off the ship and had so much more time. Oh well.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/Kimberlyhaney/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsrvaub6zz.jpg?1432489532890

image_zpsa3zsb5g3.jpg?1432491343117&1432491346552

Great photos! We were on the May 9 - 16 sailing with you. 8 of us, all couples, friends. We had a blast with the UBP.

All ports we really enjoyed. We did 2 tours I arranged for the 8 of us before we left the US. Athens (PK Travel) and Ephesus (Ephesus Shuttle). Very happy I did. Both companies responded quickly to all emails and questions, were on time and showed us exactly what we wanted to see. The other ports we walked around on our own.

We had 2 days in Venice before and after the cruise. Sorry to hear of your iPhone being stolen! It was so crowded in Venice, I can see how that could happen. Fortunately, we had no problems with pick pockets.

I wrote a short review on the reviews page of CC. It hasn't been posted yet.

We really enjoyed the entire cruise, the food, drinks, ports, crew and other passengers. Everyone was out to have a good time.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

I'm glad you had fun. I'm sure we crossed paths somewhere along the way. Seemed like everyone had good fun with the UBP.

Mykonos: This was also a very easy DIY port. The ship provided transportation to the town and from there we just walked along the beach, took some beach time and then wandered around the town and had fun shopping and exploring. Near impossible to get lost or lose your way. Very uncrowded beach early in the day but on our way back to the ship the beach was more crowded. There was a nice beach to the left of the ship as well and some friends went there and said they had a really nice day. They walked there and back, had umbrellas and loungers and drink service. The water was cold but not terrible. It was not take your breath away but not bath water either. There is a public toilet by the little blue dome church here. No toilet paper though.

image_zpsypl5aujl.jpg?1432491346711

image_zpsn34rmzpd.jpg?1432491343103&1432491346536

Katakolon. We booked a independent tour here. We booked through George the guy from Rick Steves and Trip advisor but didn't get him, got a friend of his. We did the half day tour for 140? euro. He was waiting right outside the ship. Their was no big lines to get on and off the ship really in any port so priority debarking not really necessary.

The guy we had, cant remember his name, was friendly enough. He got us directly to Olympia and we had a very quiet and peaceful time until the tours showed up. Then things started to get a bit too crowded for us and we decided to bag it. We got mixed up a little on the museums and accidently went to the one at the entrance vs. the bigger one to the right of site as you are exiting. We ended up finding him though and he took us to a beach that had a restaurant on it. It was lovely and right by the ship. I think it was called San Andres. After ward he took us back to the ship where we went to the pool and probably napped. Afternoon naps became a habit on this trip, especially with the girls who often were out late.

There was plenty of shopping that you could do right at the port but we opted to go back on the ship.

image_zps7edwofvn.jpg?1432491346735

image_zpsuejhvtbp.jpg?1432491346718

Venice turn around day. We were going to sleep in a little but it was difficult due to all the announcements. We had planned on eating at Blue Lagoon but it was closed. We ate in the Garden Café which was nice and we sat in the Italian restaurant used for breakfast overflow. When we got off the ship we purchased Alilaguna B tickets for 8 euro pp. It's not a romantic ride but it is directly off the ship and takes you directly to St. Marks square. Once there the crowds were crushing and it only got more so as the day wore on. Our plan was to see St. Marks square, Doges Palace and then wander our way through charming streets back to the ship.

Instead we stood in line for the church, purchased three tickets for Doges Palace at 18 euro pp and 5 euro pp for the audio guides and then did the Doges Palace tour. It was a bit much for me but one daughter was very interested. We sat down for a minute in the Palace at the end in the big room with benches and some lady took my phone. I had it on airplane mode to save battery so find my iPhone was disabled and it wouldn't make calls. Had I had it off airplane mode I would have been able to prove to security that she had it. I called immediately and had the phone canceled and tried to set up erase my iPhone unsuccessfully. That was the most frustrating part that I could not erase all my personal data. The phone company and Apple assured me it was now a paper weight and no one would ever be able to activate it. This was on May 9th however when I got back to the states and checked it actually was used again on May 15th so they certainly can be reactivated by the person who steals them.

Luckily many of my pictures showed up in my icloud so it was not a total loss but the whole incident gave me a bad taste for Venice. It quickly went from a charming city of decay to a tourist overrun smelly cesspool that I wanted to rid myself of. To top it off I got bit all around my ankles by something while standing by a cannel.

I tried to make the best of it and I felt lucky they hadn't taken anything else. We got some gelato, did a little shopping and then took the same Alilaguna B back to the ship. All in all it was an expensive and frustrating day.

Dubrovnik: This port made up for Venice. It was incredible, easy, people were so friendly and we all agreed that of all the ports visited we would easily return here for a land based vacation.

Another very easy do it yourself port. There are taxi's available at the port that will take you to town for 10 euro. Our taxi driver was a riot and super friendly and proud of his city and country. He gave us a lively tour and commentary on the way to the city and all for 10 euro. You can get Kuna once there for other purchases and also debit or credit cards are easily accepted most places.

We shopped, enjoyed street music, had snacks, walked the wall, went swimming (well not me but dd jumped in off the cliffs) and then when we were ready grabbed a taxi at the taxi stand and went back to the ship.

There is bathrooms along the way when walking the wall. We purchased water bottles and then asked and if we could use the restroom. Also a great place to purchase souvenirs. Hard to get lost here and if you do people will gladly help you.

Fantastic review! More please :D

So sorry about your phone!

Thanks, I was having trouble with pictures loading. Using photo bucket which seems to have a bunch of ads. I was at the lake though so perhaps things will load better now that i'm home. Kim

Dubrovnik view from the wall. The walk takes a while. There are several places to ascend. I felt it was worthwhile to walk the entire wall but then again it may not be so fun in the heat of the summer. It was a hot walk and probably about 85 degrees with little shade. The views are just so incredible along the walk though. We started where most people end and walked around. There are exits along the way. We saw the famed little restaurants with the spray painted do not enter on the rocks. We exited the wall around this point and walked down a alley with lots of cats to find the entrance to the area where you can jump off the rocks. I did see an elderly lady slip and fall on the sloping stones when entering the walled city and this is on a day where it was dry. Good shoes are a must.

image_zpsvmv3da2n.jpg?1432569730722&1432569733698

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/Kimberlyhaney/Ncl%20jade/image_zps0c9kd0ez.jpg?1432569730728&1432569733720

Edited by littlelulu01

image_zpszm9idsl2.jpg?1432569733771Athens. We got off the ship pretty early. There was a couple I had met and we were going to share a taxi with them. The taxi's we saw did not hold 5 though. One of the taxi drivers told us to go up the street and purchase the 040 bus tickets or take two cabs. We did not see the X80 bus running. They had the hop on hop off busses but we were not interested so we walked up the street about a block and purchased the 040 bus tickets for 1.20 each from the news stand. This was interesting as it was basically the city bus that everyone was taking to get to work but it took quite a while with all the stops. If I had a do over I would have just taken a cab. The cab ride back from the Acropolis was 20 euro and much faster/easier and more comfortable.

The 040 bus ends and the driver tells everyone to get off. I asked someone where to go and they gave us directions. Probably about 10-15 min walk to where you get the tickets. We had one student and even with the student visa for the EU, her id and visa were never accepted for a discount at any place so I kind of think the posted student prices are just not good for an American studying abroad.

The Acropolis was not crowded at first but shortly became quite busy with tour groups. This would have been a good place to book a tour separately with a cc roll call group and have a guide. The reason I say this is because I get bored standing there reading the signs explaining what I'm seeing. DD wanted to read the signs and so each sign was a pause and read moment. In Kusadasi we had a tour guide and it was so much nicer having her move us along when needed to avoid crowds and explain verbally vs us reading signs at each stop.

One of my daughters had her ship card and visa on a lanyard on her neck. I asked if I could put it in my purse but she was fine. At some point she realized both were missing. I assume they blew out of the holder with all the wind. Kind of a joke back tracking among the crowds looking for a visa and ship card. I somehow found her ship card! At that point I told her that the visa was gone but at least we could get back on the ship without a hassle. I told her to call her dad and have him call and cancel her visa. We sat down on some steps to make the call and the call would not go thru. Then some man came up to me and told me it was not a good place to sit as there were thousands of people there and it was not safe. I apologized and noticed that he was holding dd's visa. He said he had found it. DD gave the poor guy a huge hug and screamed. So all was well.

We were done exploring the Acropolis at this point as the crowds were just too heavy so we walked down. We debated going the museum and decided against it. I was done reading signs for the day and knew if we entered it would be another sign reading marathon like at Olympia museum and the Doges Palace. We went to the Plaka and had a lovely lunch. I think it was around 40 euro total for the three of us.

We walked from the Plaka and a guy asked if we needed a taxi. He was very nice, gave us a little history lesson about the economy and told us of the beaches and things we could do next time we were in town. It took about 20 minutes and cost 20 euro vs the approx. 1.5 hours it took to get to the Acropolis using the 040 bus. He told us the x80 bus was no longer running because the hop on hop off busses had a fit about the lost income. Not sure if this is true - just what he said. image_zpsvcbo7e98.jpg?1432569733818&1432572707440

Kusadasi. I booked a private tour with Ephesus deluxe for $50 pp payable in euros at 135 euros. I read afterwards horror stories about carpet demonstrations and so sent them an email stating I wished to skip the carpet demo.

Our guide, Gizem Eti, was waiting for us with a sign as we exited the ship. She was adorable and had excellent English. She had her masters in tourism and was working on her phd. One of her professors was working on the ruins at Ephesus and she introduced us.

It was kind of silly how we had a Mercedes sprinter all to ourselves as the tour could have accommodated several others. I don't think there was a huge discount to fill the van though so I never bothered trying to get a group together. Some people from our roll call had booked the same deal we had and they paid 39 euro pp for a van full. They also had a great time and we kept crossing paths with them.

There is a place just before entering Ephesus where you can purchase waters and use the restroom which we took advantage of. The cost to use the restrooms is .50 I think and waters were about the same. There were also people selling Turkish delight and backpacks/bags for about half of what they were selling for at the bizarre by the port.

The tour was excellent!! Our guide was wonderful and did an excellent job engaging us, asking us questions, and story telling. She kept us moving along to avoid the tour groups and we were never in any large crowds.

Seems like we kept seeing emergencies and accidents on this trip. Someone fell at Ephesus and had to be taken away in an ambulance. The ship had three code alphas, one requiring an evacuation from the ship at sea. One guy had a health emergency and tried to get care in Corfu but the hospital was closed. Evidently the doctors had not been paid in 5 weeks so he needed to pay something like 6k for private testing in Corfu. I would not take this trip without trip insurance.

image_zpslffygijs.jpg?1432573592121