Contact the Cruise Line to be sure what they will require. Some may have requirements more stringent that the government's.

But the US government generally doesn't require passports for closed loop cruises to the Caribbean. And since your ports of call are all in United States territories, there's no issue about possible passport requirements of other countries.

• 2 weeks later...

However, if you had to fly back due to a medical issue or a family emergency you would need a passport.

That's good advice for most cruises, however, OP's itinerary is solely within the United States and its territories. US Citizens do not need passports to fly between the mainland, US Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.

If the ship had an emergency and needed to dock somewhere else, like Haiti or the Bahamas, or if passengers had to be helicoptered off the ship to medical facilities in Cuba, then passports would be required if passengers needed to fly back. You can judge for yourself how likely that is. Consular officials would probably be reasonably accommodating under such unusual circumstances.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp of, "If you're going to travel, get a passport and renew it every ten years". Holding a passport opens up your opportunity to take a spur-of-the-moment trip to an exotic destination, and is good back-up ID to have in a safe place at home in case your drivers license is lost or stolen. If I were going on a cruise to PR and USVI, I'd certainly bring my passport.

But for this particular cruise, It's hard for me to imagine circumstances where the passport would actually be used.

Just got back from San Juan to Barbados, St. Kitts, Fort de France, Martineque, St. Thomas (flew to St. Croix to see relative) aboard Norwegian Dawn. If you purchase on any of the islands using Eastern Caribbean dollar...2 weeks ago....$1=2.72 EC$, you will need a passport to change money back to US dollars...its a requirement at any bank down there. Your bank card in their ATMS will give you EC$. No fee. But to change it back to US $'s, they won't do it unless you produce a US passport and then they charge a convergence fee. Otherwise, a birth certificate will suffice. Going ashore requires a government photo ID,,,,,drivers license, military photo ID, etc and your room key from the ship. Having traveled world wide with the USAF, a passport is a good deal whether you need it or not.

• 2 months later...

I renewed my passport because I am a naturalized citizen born in Havana, Cuba and do not dare carry my birth certificate. The individual processing the forms strongly suggested that my husband who is US born also renew his passport not only because of possible medical emergencies, but also because of possible muggings, thefts etc. Local authorities might not deal with an individuals who did not possess a passport.

We’re departing from our local port of Port Canaveral. Looking at cruises departing from here, visiting Puerto Rico and Saint Thomas. Is a passport needed or are birth certificates adequate because we’re returning to the same port? Thanks!

So long as the cruise returns to Port Canaveral US citizens should be able to use a birth certificate along with a government issued photo id.

• 3 months later...
That's good advice for most cruises, however, OP's itinerary is solely within the United States and its territories.

There are no itineraries that are USA only. Every itinerary must include a stop (one or more) at a non-US port.

The OP may not have included all of her stops, but that does not mean it's not there.

We’re departing from our local port of Port Canaveral. Looking at cruises departing from here, visiting Puerto Rico and Saint Thomas. Is a passport needed or are birth certificates adequate because we’re returning to the same port? Thanks!

Technically if you are only visiting San Juan and St. Thomas, neither a passport nor a BC is required as both are US territories. The general rule on any closed loop US cruise, US citizens only require a birth certificate and a photo ID to travel.