Just booked our first Cunard cruise!

dally100

And very excited we are too:D

We have booked a Roundtrip for June 2019 and wondered if anyone could help with a question. We understand the time in New York is quite short, and would like to find out whether Cunard provide any excursions or provide shuttle buses into Manhattan?

I’ve been to NYC before and seen the main sites, other half hasn’t but said he would like to see Central Park and go up a tall building - so I reckon Top of the Rock might do it? Would we have time do you think?

Many thanks.

What Cunard provides will depend on the turnover - that is how many passengers will be staying on for the return to Southampton. Often they will offer a shuttle that will drop off in mid-town Manhattan (Macy's) and pick up in the afternoon. Popular observatories are the Empire State Building and the top of Rockefeller Center. Central Park is huge. If there is just one place to see Bethesda Terrace is beautiful.

If you prefer DIY, there is a new ferry service (https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/) that operates from the Redhook pier to Wall Street in lower Manhattan. There, you could take in the World Trade Center observatory. The is much further from Central Park and you would need to take a taxi or venture into the subway.

All-aboard time will probably be about 4PM.

Thanks!

I’ve been up the Rockefeller before and remember there are great views of Central Park, I’ll try to convince the other half to do that. Two birds with one stone.

Fingers crossed Cunard do lay on shuttle buses, but I will look in to the ferry from Red Hook too. Very useful to have an idea of the all-aboard time too, thank you.

Like has been said it depends on numbers but when we did it there were 2 excursions and a transfer that took you into Manhattan and dropped you off outside Macy's and then you had free time and then returned from near where they dropped you off. Even though it was nothing mor ethan a shuttle it was very expensive and if my memory serves me right it about $50pp

After a TA, I don't suppose Cunard offer a Brooklyn to Manhatten hotel type transfer?? Most probably will need a taxi.?

As far as I know, there is no hotel type transfer offered by Cunard unless you have booked your post-cruise hotel stay through Cunard. The only other Cunard transfer option to Manhattan I am aware of is their transfer called "Transfer Port to Station" which is described as a "transfer to either Penn and Grand Central Stations or Port Authority Bus Station." For transportation from the ship directly to your hotel in Manhattan, your best bet would be taxi or other car service.

Thanks for the replies!

$50 does seem steep for a shuttle but if it helps us to get the most out of a short amount of time I guess we’ll do it. I’ll also investigate the Red Hook ferry, and maybe keep to the Wall Street area with a trip up the Observatory as BlueRiband suggested.

And very excited we are too:D

We have booked a Roundtrip for June 2019 and wondered if anyone could help with a question. We understand the time in New York is quite short, and would like to find out whether Cunard provide any excursions or provide shuttle buses into Manhattan?

I’ve been to NYC before and seen the main sites, other half hasn’t but said he would like to see Central Park and go up a tall building - so I reckon Top of the Rock might do it? Would we have time do you think?

Many thanks.

Welcome to Cunard

You'll be hooked! Enjoy your voyage.

regards

Skillies

Thank you - we are already thinking we might be converted for life! We have an upcoming P&O cruise to the Baltics this June but all we are talking about at the moment is our Cunard voyage:D

We both love the formal side of cruising with dressing for dinner, and also love sea days so the TA seems a perfect match.

Thank you - we are already thinking we might be converted for life! We have an upcoming P&O cruise to the Baltics this June but all we are talking about at the moment is our Cunard voyage:D

We both love the formal side of cruising with dressing for dinner, and also love sea days so the TA seems a perfect match.

Don't forget cocktails in the Commodore Club:D

Thanks for all the replies. I will indeed make sure I have a cocktail (or 2!) in the Commodore Club :D

DreamingOf Thank you for sharing - it seems like you really made use of your time in NYC and shows what we could fit in if we take the shuttle bus option.

Thanks for all the replies. I will indeed make sure I have a cocktail (or 2!) in the Commodore Club :D

DreamingOf Thank you for sharing - it seems like you really made use of your time in NYC and shows what we could fit in if we take the shuttle bus option.

We arrived in to Manhattan with every intention of going into ,Macy's first thing as coach dropped us off there but it was only 9ish and Macy's didnt open until 10am and our return pick up was 2-30pm so didnt have a great amount of time to see much.

It is about $50 or thereabouts into manhattan if you could share a taxi with 2 others it would take the cost down considerably. We are doing westbound in july (did eastbound last time) but we are going with 2 others so we are sharing a taxi. With tolls and taxes and a tip its only about $15 each

It is about $50 or thereabouts into manhattan if you could share a taxi with 2 others it would take the cost down considerably. We are doing westbound in july (did eastbound last time) but we are going with 2 others so we are sharing a taxi. With tolls and taxes and a tip its only about $15 each

When we went on our roundtrip we were told by various people in different forums that trying to get a taxi, flagging one down in the street, is very hard as they wont take you outside of Manhattan over the bridge to Brooklyn. So we didnt fancy getting a taxi into Manhattan from Red Hook and then being stuck getting back so we booked the shuttle bus.

Top of the rock is nice, so is the empire state building. I think June may still be OK since it is before the summer tourist season gets into full swing, however I have seen huge lines for both top of the rock and the empire state building, weekends of course worse. You might want to check out a water taxi. Fyi, in June the weather should be great for central park, the whole park is nice. Personally I would try to stop at Cleopatra's needle in back of the Met. There are some people that offer walking tours of central park that can be interesting. Although very touristy the double decker tour buses could be fun, especially if the weather is good. The buses provide a good way of seeing the most of Manhattan.

• 2 weeks later...

Even better - take the ferry to Manhattan ($3.25) from the dock next to the QM2. It will take you to the Pier 11/Wall St pier. It's a short walk or cab ride to the 9/11 memorial. The new WTC is a very tall building. (Top of the Rock at Rockefeller center is OK, but the bar isn't open until 5:00)

From there, it's a quick easy subway or taxi ride to any other Manhattan sights, including Central Park.

If you want to just get a black car back to the pier, call Dial7 212-777-7777, http://www.dial7.com) No problem - and still likely cheaper than the Cunard shuttle.

We've not had a problem getting cabs in Manhattan - however, I haven't tried to flag one in the rain yet.