QM2 in NYC

Neuhoftraveler

We will be sailing on QM2 transatlantic next December, and have a few brief questions:

1. Is it true that QM2 does not always tie up in Brooklyn, but sometimes at the West Side piers in Manhattan, and sometimes even in NJ? If so, how long in advance of arrival is this determined?

2. Approximately how long does it take Britannia-class passengers (US citizens -- no "World Club" perks) to disembark and get through immigration and customs in NY?

3. Are the "sheltered" balconies fully enclosed with operable windows, or are they open to the elements?

Thanks in advance to any who can provide answers based on actual experience.

We will be sailing on QM2 transatlantic next December, and have a few brief questions:

1. Is it true that QM2 does not always tie up in Brooklyn, but sometimes at the West Side piers in Manhattan, and sometimes even in NJ? If so, how long in advance of arrival is this determined?

2. Approximately how long does it take Britannia-class passengers (US citizens -- no "World Club" perks) to disembark and get through immigration and customs in NY?

3. Are the "sheltered" balconies fully enclosed with operable windows, or are they open to the elements?

Thanks in advance to any who can provide answers based on actual experience.

Hi hoftraveler,

1. QM2 does very, very occasionally tie up at the Manhattan West Side piers, But this is a rare event, I was lucky to have been on a crossing that did, in 2011. I stress again that this is an unusual event, most often she is at Redhook Brooklyn. As far as I am aware she has only once gone to New Jersey, in 2006 (again, I was on board on that occasion).

2. I think most passengers are off the ship by mid-morning, maybe a little longer with customs/immigration. As I've never departed QM2 after a transatlantic crossing independently, I've not been the last one off, so can only guess.

3. The sheltered balcony cabins have no windows that open/close. They are, like most balconies on ships, open to the fresh air. However on a crossing they provide greater protection from the elements than conventional balconies, and are slightly larger than ones on higher decks. More like a separate room to the cabin than a balcony.

Hope this helps.

Pepperrn, thank you for the description of the sheltered balconies. This will be out 5th crossing but the first time in a sheltered balcony. :)
Hi SPacificbound,

Have a wonderful time on board :) . There are some photos of a sheltered balcony in this set of pictures:

Hope they help.

All best wishes, and an early Bon Voyage!