Is it time for Cunard and other lines to boycott Russia?

Lanky Lad

Personally, as a gay man, I would never consider another Baltic cruise with a call on St. Petersburg under the current Russian government. Having an overnight in a city like Copenhagen or Stockholm instead would be a treat.

I'm torn. I've wanted to see St Petersburg for a long time and currently have a trip booked this year. It will be my last cruise for at least a few years so I wanted to tick off a bucket list cruise.

When this was booked the UK and Russia were working to improve relations and while I disagree with many policies, this doesn't seem to stop people from visiting other places which discriminate against people based on sex, sexual orientation, religious beliefs etc. How many people have stopped trips to Barbados? Antigua? Jamaica? What about the UAE? Of course some will have but the vast majority of people won't. And I'll be disappointed if I don't get to see St Petersburg.

Every country has policies that we might not agree too so we shouldnt get high on moral ground. I dont agree with hanging one of many in the USA and some of Donald Trump's policies does that mean we shouldnt visit the USA.

Every country has policies that we might not agree too so we shouldnt get high on moral ground. I dont agree with hanging one of many in the USA and some of Donald Trump's policies does that mean we shouldnt visit the USA.

It's not a "high moral ground" to avoid travel to countries that are not secure for myself and my husband and do not recognize our human rights and legal marriage should problems develop.

Since the United States is only about 60% of the cruise market and this percent is going down. maybe time to stop thinking based upon the US market and start thinking based upon the World Market. Do you think if the US Cruise market stopped the World market would follow? It is not going to happen and the cruise business is based upon profit, if people want to go they will offer the ports.

No, I don't think Cruise Lines should boycott Russia, it's up to individuals to decide if they want to visit a country.

If, at some point in the future, there is Foreign Office advice not to travel, that's different. In that event I would expect Baltic Cruise Itineraries to be revised.

No, I don't think Cruise Lines should boycott Russia, it's up to individuals to decide if they want to visit a country.

Absolutely right Hattie, cruise ships call in at dozens of countries that have policies that are utterly abhorrent to many in the West. Shall we exclude them all? And cruise passengers have the right not to go to these countries if their conscience so dictates. Conversely, Cruise Lines have the right to choose the ports that they wish to visit. If you are not happy, then don't book!

Simple.

As I mentioned above, we won't be spending time and money in Russia. Even putting aside considerations for our personal treatment and well-being as gay visitors, we do not want to contribute to their economy and prefer to spend our money elsewhere.

But making a personal decision for travel (or anything else) is not the same thing as calling for a boycott. Based upon discussions with friends and earlier posts on this thread, it appears that a large number of gay passengers (a sizeable proportion of its demogrphics) are choosing to bypass Russia these days - but I'm unaware of any calls for a boycott.

I would assume the same thing holds true for those who don't wish to support Russia's government's recent actions - that it's possible that a significant number of passengers might make a similar decision. Whether the total number of potential passengers is sufficient to alter itineraries obviously remains to be seen. (Which is why this is a good topic for discussion and guesswork.) Yes, ultimately Cunard goes where passengers wish to travel safely and are willing to profitably pay to do so. Period.

Personally, I'm usually not in favor of boycotts, simply because they're almost always ineffective. With very rare exceptions, the number of boycotters turns out to be small, but the opportunity for a backlash is great. That said, every day we make decisions on which brand to buy. I don't want to give my money to those who support something I find objectionable, so I don't.

And I'm fully aware that many might think the same thing about my country right now. I understand. Not surprisingly, I bet you can guess what name of resort or hotel we will not be booking (as part of a personal decision).

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

If, at some point in the future, there is Foreign Office advice not to travel, that's different. In that event I would expect Baltic Cruise Itineraries to be revised.

I Totally agree! That should be an individual's choice. If you don't want to visit a particular country, just book your cruise on a line that doesn't go there.

You don't get fellow men and women to change there ways by not talking to them. Free trade promotes good will and understanding. We are all citizens of the world and should be free to roam where we like.Imagine no countries its easy if you try. Lets hope for an Exit from Brexit too.

Its all about having choices that are right for YOU. Another persons aversion to a country ( for whatever reason) has no impact on me, at all. Thank goodness I visited Turkey several times, and LOVED it, before the safety issues became alarming, and I think no cruise ships go there, now. Ditto Russia + St.Petersburg.......I've been there and enjoyed it, but it does seem many volatile issues will soon result in it being a *thing of the past* as far as cruise itineraries.

I'm not in favour of a formal boycott by Cunard but I do wish Cunard would offer Baltic itineraries which do not include a visit to St Petersburg. One visit in 2013 was enough - I just didn't find it a very relaxing place to visit - but I would love to do an overnight somewhere like Stockholm.

Scandinavia is wonderful in so many ways and I would much rather spend more time there and visiting some of the smaller Baltic states. Cunard does seem to be offering a wider range of ports in the region but I really wish it was not wedded to visiting Russia every time. If the political situation does deteriorate then Cunard may need to review their approach to Baltic itineraries anyway. I see in this morning's news that permission has now been withdrawn for the UK to open a consulate in St Petersburg.

I think maybe that there is a confusion about visiting foreign countries......I don't like bullfighting, but Spain hasn't sent hit squads to this country. I don't like governments who are guilty of human rights abuses. I don't agree to capital punishment (accept for terrorists) but it wont stop me going to America.

The big difference is that Russia is exporting its Mafia Ideology to the UK and its government is supporting hit squads on British soil . THEY SHOULD BE ISOLATED - if cruise ships stopped going to St Petersburg, maybe they will realise that we can make a difference.

'

I'm not in favour of a formal boycott by Cunard but I do wish Cunard would offer Baltic itineraries which do not include a visit to St Petersburg. One visit in 2013 was enough - I just didn't find it a very relaxing place to visit - but I would love to do an overnight somewhere like Stockholm.

Scandinavia is wonderful in so many ways and I would much rather spend more time there and visiting some of the smaller Baltic states. Cunard does seem to be offering a wider range of ports in the region but I really wish it was not wedded to visiting Russia every time. If the political situation does deteriorate then Cunard may need to review their approach to Baltic itineraries anyway. I see in this morning's news that permission has now been withdrawn for the UK to open a consulate in St Petersburg.

I agree. Whilst I enjoyed my visit to St Petersburg, I don't wish to visit again. Unfortunately most cruises to the Baltics include a visit to St Petersburg. It would be nice to have a choice of a cruise to other interesting places in the Baltics, without St Petersburg.

We are booked on QE's 10th June Baltic specifically because of 4 new ports + Helsinki after some years of it missing from Baltic cruises. We have been to St P four times and frankly we are struggling to decide what to do there having been to pretty much all of the main attractions. Add to the current political problems World Cup matches the day before arrival and day after departure and it may well be more hectic than usual. How Russia will deal with an influx of football supporters from all over the world will be an interesting challenge. The poor layout of the cruise port with no shelter from westerly winds and lack of powerful modern tugs also create problems.