No Special Suite Event

dag144

On the last two or three cruises, those that I sprung for, for a Neptune suite, I was disappointed that there was no special event like a lunch or cocktail party (other that drinks in the Neptune Lounge, with no officers present) for the Suite guests. Both cruises were 14 days or more, as a matter of fact other than the Mariners Lunch and the cocktails I referred to, there were no events at all. I have five stars so I don't think that I am overlooking anything.

On the last two or three cruises, those that I sprung for, for a Neptune suite, I was disappointed that there was no special event like a lunch or cocktail party (other that drinks in the Neptune Lounge, with no officers present) for the Suite guests. Both cruises were 14 days or more, as a matter of fact other than the Mariners Lunch and the cocktails I referred to, there were no events at all. I have five stars so I don't think that I am overlooking anything.

The suite lunches were cancelled a while ago unfortunately, so, it is no surprised that there was no luncheon.

That being said, there have usually been some parties that are an hour or so in duration for various passengers of which suites and 5*'s are normally included.

On K'dam this winter (11 day cruise) there were two receptions by the Lido pool. One was for suites, which we didn't go to. The other was for 4 and 5 stars. A few officers who shook hands, a free glass of wine, and that's it. No program. We were so busy chatting with another couple that we didn't notice when the officers left and people drifted away.

I am not knowledgeable about Suites, but as a 5 star for many years, I do know that the VIP parties invite 5 stars, pretty much without question.

However, it is up to the Captain whether any VIP parties are held at all, so you may have been out of luck on that matter. 2 out of 3 sounds as if these parties are being discontinued!

HAL needs to step it up when it comes to Neptune Suite benefits.

Roz

I fully agree, there have been almost no additions to the H AL s uite experinece in many, many years but there have been a great many things eliiminated. Some are very missed, For those sure to jump in to say the prc ing is so much lower now I'll beat you to it. I have papers from same ships, sam e suite, same cruise from years ago to more recent and the prices are very similar. Neptune prices have not dropped. any noticeable amount.

HAL needs to step it up when it comes to Neptune Suite benefits.

Roz

What we don't know is how many Neptunes now get sold as bargain basement upsells, and no longer at their full price. This could also be a factor in down-grading their former "benefits".

The suite lunches were cancelled a while ago unfortunately, so, it is no surprised that there was no luncheon.

That being said, there have usually been some parties that are an hour or so in duration for various passengers of which suites and 5*'s are normally included.

I was invited to the 'party' on Veendam but my friend was not invited, though she, too was in a Neptune, so I did not attend. She is ab out four star, i think. They also did not invite her to any mariner Brunch. BAD FORM, I was very offended and did not attend t that either . All in all, not a good job and added to makingi it a disappoitning cruise. IMO I'll not be cruising hAL this summer so .....

Edited by sail7seas

Our last 21 day cruise, the first evening's cocktail party in the Neptune Lounge was 1 hour, only what they offered you for a cocktail (wine, water, juice), no officers, the dome was still set up for nibbles. We were told that it was basically just to get to know your concierges.

No suite lunch.

No VIP party for the PS or Neptune guests. No VIP party for the 4 and 5 star Mariners. Basically nothing.

I asked about this and we were told that many of the captains do not want any parties, etc.

Out of the 21 days we saw the captain only 2 times, one was at the awards ceremony -- we 4 and 5 star Mariners stood when our name was called. It has been a long time since we were called up to have our picture taken with the captain. Again -- you could not order a drink of your choice -- just the usual wine, water and juice.

The second time we saw him at a distance was for his captains Q&E -- which was a joke. He spent around 40 minutes talking about the bridge and left only 10 minutes for a couple of questions.

On K'dam this winter (11 day cruise) there were two receptions by the Lido pool. One was for suites, which we didn't go to. The other was for 4 and 5 stars. A few officers who shook hands, a free glass of wine, and that's it. No program. We were so busy chatting with another couple that we didn't notice when the officers left and people drifted away.

Sure these events weren't in the Crow's Nest? We were B2B on the Koningsdam last March, so had one event for each cruise, 2pm, boarding day. Eurodam also had one when we embarked in SF in October. These were for 3 Star and up. All were held in the Crow's Nest.

Separately there was the reception for Neptunes after dinner that night on both KDam cruises, and on the Eurodam as well. It was held in the Neptune Lounge- remember KDam has fewer suites than the Signature class ships. Drank a lot of champagne that day.

All 3 cruises also had the Mariner Lunch, and the pre-lunch cocktail party for people with at least 100 actual days on HAL.

I was invited to the 'party' on Veendam but my friend was not invited, though she, too was in a Neptune, so I did not attend. She is ab out four star, i think. They also did not invite her to any mariner Brunch. BAD FORM, I was very offended and did not attend t that either . All in all, not a good job and a disappoining cruise. IMO

I suspect the special party was also for high total cruise credit passengers, not just Mariner star status alone. We have a fairly high total cruise credit number and recently now get invited to various special events. So the first question I would always have is what is the affinity group for this invite, since the invite itself never mentions the reason for the gathering.

Chatting among other passengers we concluded it was due to our cruise credit points, as well as possible 5 star status or Medallion status. Among the answers from staff when I would ask -what is the nature of affinity group for this gathering - the answer was we just like to honor "special passengers". We honestly did not know we were "special" until they started calling out pasengers with high total cruise credit points at the Mariners Luncheons.

We thought those award ceremonies were always about days sailed and Medallions. That has been a recent shift too, to also include those with high cruise credit days. We take a lot of HAL shore excursions, so our cruise credit days have obviously added up, because we don't spend that much on anything else while onboard. .

In the past there were special events for Collectors Cruise affinity groups too. To me, it helps as a conversational ice-breaker to know what was behind the special invite. What are we here together to be celebrating? Besides just being on the ship. That is all.

The Neptune parties really vary by ship. About 18 months ago on the Koningsdam for an 11 day cruise we were hosted to a first night cocktail party in the Queens Room followed by dinner in the Culinary Arts Center (it was a very nice evening!). Then 6 months ago we were on the Oosterdam for an 18 day cruise and the only event was a very small (and not well attended) first night cocktail party in the Neptune Lounge (same deal about 24 months ago on an 11 day cruise).

Also gone seem to be the Captain's VIP cocktail party held between dining seatings on one of the "formal" nights.

Typical for HAL - things vary by ship.

What I've learned from this thread is that there's no consistency and no rhyme or reason as to what special events are held and who gets invited to them.

I remember one cruise where there was an Indonesian lunch in the Pinnacle for suite passengers. Anyone else remember that?

Roz

Our last 21 day cruise, the first evening's cocktail party in the Neptune Lounge was 1 hour, only what they offered you for a cocktail (wine, water, juice), no officers, the dome was still set up for nibbles. We were told that it was basically just to get to know your concierges.

No suite lunch.

No VIP party for the PS or Neptune guests. No VIP party for the 4 and 5 star Mariners. Basically nothing.

I asked about this and we were told that many of the captains do not want any parties, etc.

Out of the 21 days we saw the captain only 2 times, one was at the awards ceremony -- we 4 and 5 star Mariners stood when our name was called. It has been a long time since we were called up to have our picture taken with the captain. Again -- you could not order a drink of your choice -- just the usual wine, water and juice.

The second time we saw him at a distance was for his captains Q&E -- which was a joke. He spent around 40 minutes talking about the bridge and left only 10 minutes for a couple of questions.

Was that the Westerdam cruise in 2016 where we got on when you got off KK?

Captains changed and we had Captain Van Eerten.

If it was, here's the comparison - we had a Black and White ball, a suite luncheon buffet style. Very impressive.

Plus two VIP parties and a Canadian party. :).

There was other stuff too, but my memory is short.

This is what I mean by "top down" influence. Captain Van Eerten is focused on not just running the ship but his passengers and he likes to make sure his passengers are happy and his HD's know that. His crew is happy and happy to do things like this it seems. Big officer turn out as well.

To be fair on our Rotterdam cruise last year, we also had some nice VIP parties, etc., but no suite luncheon.

What I've learned from this thread is that there's no consistency and no rhyme or reason as to what special events are held and who gets invited to them.

I remember one cruise where there was an Indonesian lunch in the Pinnacle for suite passengers. Anyone else remember that?

Roz

Yep ... I remember going to one of those in the Pinnacle Grill on the Westerdam and one on the Oosterdam a few years ago; one was an Indonesian Buffet and the other a more traditional buffet with roast beef and seafood.

We look at them as "should we go get a free drink" events. Can't eat appetizers right before dinner. And we don't even drink. However, I have always enjoyed talking to the officers and always learn a lot about their jobs and the industry from them. They always bring new perspectives about the back of the house as well as the front of the house.

Was that the Westerdam cruise in 2016 where we got on when you got off KK?

Captains changed and we had Captain Van Eerten.

If it was, here's the comparison - we had a Black and White ball, a suite luncheon buffet style. Very impressive.

Plus two VIP parties and a Canadian party. :).

There was other stuff too, but my memory is short.

This is what I mean by "top down" influence. Captain Van Eerten is focused on not just running the ship but his passengers and he likes to make sure his passengers are happy and his HD's know that. His crew is happy and happy to do things like this it seems. Big officer turn out as well.

To be fair on our Rotterdam cruise last year, we also had some nice VIP parties, etc., but no suite luncheon.

Yes -- that was the cruise.

We had Van Eerten on the Westerdam in 2013 -- lots of parties including the Black and White Ball.

Roz

Yes -- I remember a couple of those suite lunches.

Sure these events weren't in the Crow's Nest? We were B2B on the Koningsdam last March, so had one event for each cruise, 2pm, boarding day. Eurodam also had one when we embarked in SF in October. These were for 3 Star and up. All were held in the Crow's Nest.

Separately there was the reception for Neptunes after dinner that night on both KDam cruises, and on the Eurodam as well. It was held in the Neptune Lounge- remember KDam has fewer suites than the Signature class ships. Drank a lot of champagne that day.

All 3 cruises also had the Mariner Lunch, and the pre-lunch cocktail party for people with at least 100 actual days on HAL.

Yes, I'm sure. I went to the Mariner reception. I don't know why they chose that location, but they did. Both times there was a reception by the pool there was no 8:00 movie.

Yep ... I remember going to one of those in the Pinnacle Grill on the Westerdam and one on the Oosterdam a few years ago; one was an Indonesian Buffet and the other a more traditional buffet with roast beef and seafood.

I rremember therm having thosed lunches but we always skipped them. :o

Dh rather be at the pool getting sun than change and dress for a suite lunch.,

Yes, I'm sure. I went to the Mariner reception. I don't know why they chose that location, but they did. Both times there was a reception by the pool there was no 8:00 movie.

Both of our Kdam sailings they held a Reception by the Mid-Pool, too. If I recall it was at 7 pm. Drinks only served.

The Mariner Awards Reception before the Mariner’s Lunch was held in World Stage. Drinks and Hors d’oeuvres were served.