Can I get distilled water on board?

I would rather not have to travel around with a gallon for my husbands C-Pap machine!!

No need. Just contact special needs or pre-cruise planner dept. (800 398-9819). WE ask for distilled water and an extension if needed.

I always pack 2 extension cords, one short & the other long. Don't know where the plug will be in the room. Once I was sent to the naughty room. They thought my extension cord had a surge protector on it. It didn't, but was able to wonder around in areas passengers are usually denied access to.

I always pack 2 extension cords, one short & the other long. Don't know where the plug will be in the room. Once I was sent to the naughty room. They thought my extension cord had a surge protector on it. It didn't, but was able to wonder around in areas passengers are usually denied access to.

It is actually illegal to bring any extension cord on a RCL ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
It is actually illegal to bring any extension cord on a RCL ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not illegal. Illegal would refer to a law. It is not a law. It is against RCCL rules. There is a difference. Rccl will provide cords upon request. Interesting enough, my husband and I just got off of a HAL cruise. They did not provide extension cords or distilled water(will for 2.49/gallon). We were told to bring our own. And we did. HAL provided a powerstrip at the dressing table for us to use yo plug in our two extension cords.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

As others have said they generally do. However there is always a chance that don't have any on board. So couple of questions out of curiosity :

If for some reason RC are unable to provide distilled water, would tap water suffice?

Is it possible to use the CPAP without water?

I am genuinely curious as the question about availability of distilled water gets asked frequently. Got me wondering, what happens if they don't have any.

Also got me wondering that this must be a problem on long flights and how do people get round this.

All the water onboard may not be all distilled or RO desalinated. Very frequently, based on the ship's itinerary, there is not enough time to make all the water required, so water is loaded from municipal sources, typically at turn around port.

Tap water will have chlorine and calcium carbonate in it. You can remove the chlorine by letting a pitcher of it sit open for 4-6 hours to dissipate the residual chlorine naturally, or you can get water from the buffet, where a carbon filter removes the chlorine and calcium carbonate in the water dispensers.

Use of tap water in a cpap machine is generally okay for limited times, and you may find that scale deposits form in the tank, so cleaning becomes more required.

In the dry AC air of a ship, the use of the humidifier on the CPAP is generally recommended.

Another way to get distilled water if the ship does not have gallon jugs available for some reason, or if you just need to refill the one they gave you, is to ask your cabin steward if he/she knows someone in engineering, and on a sea day they can take the jug down to the evaporator and fill it directly from the evaporator. I used to see this being done all the time, long before CPAPs became as common as they are now.

As others have said they generally do. However there is always a chance that don't have any on board. So couple of questions out of curiosity :

If for some reason RC are unable to provide distilled water, would tap water suffice?

Is it possible to use the CPAP without water?

I am genuinely curious as the question about availability of distilled water gets asked frequently. Got me wondering, what happens if they don't have any.

Also got me wondering that this must be a problem on long flights and how do people get round this.

I was on a RCI (not sure but think it was RH) ship that did not have gallons of distilled water when I boarded. They supplied me with distilled water from the engine room in small bottles. At the first port they resupplied with gallons.

All the water onboard may not be all distilled or RO desalinated. Very frequently, based on the ship's itinerary, there is not enough time to make all the water required, so water is loaded from municipal sources, typically at turn around port.

Tap water will have chlorine and calcium carbonate in it. You can remove the chlorine by letting a pitcher of it sit open for 4-6 hours to dissipate the residual chlorine naturally, or you can get water from the buffet, where a carbon filter removes the chlorine and calcium carbonate in the water dispensers.

Use of tap water in a cpap machine is generally okay for limited times, and you may find that scale deposits form in the tank, so cleaning becomes more required.

In the dry AC air of a ship, the use of the humidifier on the CPAP is generally recommended.

Another way to get distilled water if the ship does not have gallon jugs available for some reason, or if you just need to refill the one they gave you, is to ask your cabin steward if he/she knows someone in engineering, and on a sea day they can take the jug down to the evaporator and fill it directly from the evaporator. I used to see this being done all the time, long before CPAPs became as common as they are now.

Wow. I have learnt so much from your reply. Many thanks. I really appreciate it.

On Allure, I had my CPAP machine and Royal Caribbean provided the distilled water. They said I would receive an extension cord, but they didn't deliver one because there is an outlet next to the bed near the floor.

The outlet worked out well as there was no need to have the cord go across the cabin.