Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:57 AM.
Wyoming
142 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Okay I will confirm that we want a guide with Salvatore for Pompeii. As far as Livorno I think we are going to use the train to Florence, kind of a bummer that we won't get to see the original David. Oh well maybe someday we will be able to travel back again. Hope everyone is doing well and I will check back in later. Anna
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pacific Princess (British Isles) - August 2018
Carnival Dream (Western Caribbean) - December 2015
Carnival Miracle (Southern Caribbean) - Jan 2012
Carnival Spirit (Alaska) - August 2010
Carnival Elation (Baja) - November 2009
Carnival Dream (Med) - October 2009
Carnival Destiny (Southern Caribbean) - April 2008
Carnival Miracle (Western Caribbean) - April 2005
NCL (Baja) - January 1993
Disney (Big Red Boat) (Bahamas) - March 1986
Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Thanks Anna for all the planning.
I got a quote from Fabrizio of http://www.Allarounditaly.net for an all day tour for 8 from Livorno to Florence and Pisa. It would be 550 euros or about 69 euros pp. I checked on Romeinlimo, but I wasn't sure about their cancellation policy.
On the train in Livorno I think I mentioned 13 euros each way, it's 13 euros round trip. I read the taxi ride to the train station from the dock was stated to be about 25 for 6 people, then you have to take the taxi to return to the ship..
Let me know if anyone's interested in the Allarounditaly tour out of Livorno to Florence and Pisa. Thanks, Deanne
Phoenix, Arizona
103 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Well, Liberty cancellation may turn out to be a Godsend. The Dream looks like a great ship, and the October weather should be better. DW and I have made the switch.

Will be talking more as the time goes by..

Tom & Maureen (aka onetrufan)
Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by The Commodore
Well, Liberty cancellation may turn out to be a Godsend. The Dream looks like a great ship, and the October weather should be better. DW and I have made the switch.

Will be talking more as the time goes by..

Tom & Maureen (aka onetrufan)
Welcome Tom and Maureen! What sailing of the Liberty were you switched from? Many of us came over from the October 25th sailing, hope you're right about the weather!! Deanne
South Jersey
4,588 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Welcome Tom and Maureen.
Deanne, Not sure what we want to do in Livorno. Since the Accademie(sp?) and Uffizi are closed on Monday and Tom really wants to see David-the original that is. We were actually thinking of extending our stay a bit after the cruise and catching the train to Florence. Maybe taking the train to Termini post cruise and then just getting on the train to Florence staying there a night or two before flying home. I think that would be great.If we decide to do that we'll probably do some type of Tuscan wine tasting. Without doing the Florence museums, we'd have to look at some other cruises but I'm really looking forward now to the new ship.
Terry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Holland America Zuiderdam-Voyage of the Vikings 8/17
Celebrity Silhouette-Western Caribbean 1/17
Celebrity Summit-Bermuda 8/16
Celebrity Silhouette-Eastern Caribbean 2/16
CelebritySilhouette-Western Europe 9/15
Celebrity Silhouette-Western Caribbean 1/15

Royal Princess-Caribbean Getaway 12/14
Celebrity Summit-Bermuda 6/14
Celebrity Constellation- Western Caribbean 3/14
Pride of America Hawaii 1/14
Celebrity Infinity- British Isles 6/13
Celebrity Eclipse- Southern Caribbean 3/13

Celebrity Solstice- Eastern Med 6/12
Celebrity Millennium-Western Caribbean 3/12
Celebrity Solstice-Western Caribbean 1/12
Celebrity Millennium-Mini Western Caribbean 10/11,Celebrity Equinox-Western & Central America 2/11Crown Princess- Western Caribbean 1/11Celebrity Summit-Bermuda 6/10Carnival Legend-Western Caribbean 2/10, Crown Princess-Western Caribbean 12/09, Carnival Dream-Western Mediterranean 10/09, GoldenPrincess-Alaska Inside Passage 7/09, Carnival Triumph-Canada 6/09, Carnival Victory Canada 6/08, Carnival Valor E.Carib 3/08, Carnival Victory NE/Can 8/07, Carnival Spirit Alaska 6/06
Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Terry and all, We were thinking of taking the train to Florence pre cruise from Rome. It's about 170 miles. I checked at Euro Railways, it's not terribly expensive. If we do it, I think it will be a day trip, if the connections work out. I just don't want to take all my luggage on the train!! ( I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age!) Come to think about it, I think some hotels will let you store part of your luggage with them, so an overnite bag on the train wouldn't be bad.

The wine tour sounds good too! I'm just throwing out ideas for tours, I'm really excited about Pompeii!!

Have you looked at airfares? The least expensive flights I could find were on Iberia. I really don't know that company, have you ever booked with them? I think we will use FF miles, unless I can find a real bargin. I know not all the web sites have flights that far ahead. Well, Happy Friday!!

Deanne
Phoenix, Arizona
103 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We were orginally on Nov. 6th sailing, so changing dates was not that difficult. Earlier the better :-)

Hope the ship gets rid of all the new ship bugs and staff will be at top form by the 3rd cruise.... which I think will be ours.

Tom
South Jersey
4,588 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Deanne,
Could go a day or two earlier, We were thinking of getting there Tuesday AM but could try for Monday morning. We plan on booking the Westin in Rome with points, we have enough for 2 nights now and could have enough for another by next year. I know we have been always able to store our luggage when we took overnight excursions. This was particularly helpful in Alaska. Maybe this is the way to go.
Just got back from Atlantic City- broke even so we had a good short trip.
Terry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Millennium-Mini Western Caribbean 10/11,Celebrity Equinox-Western & Central America 2/11Crown Princess- Western Caribbean 1/11Celebrity Summit-Bermuda 6/10Carnival Legend-Western Caribbean 2/10, Crown Princess-Western Caribbean 12/09, Carnival Dream-Western Mediterranean 10/09, GoldenPrincess-Alaska Inside Passage 7/09, Carnival Triumph-Canada 6/09, Carnival Victory Canada 6/08, Carnival Valor E.Carib 3/08, Carnival Victory NE/Can 8/07, Carnival Spirit Alaska 6/06
Wyoming
142 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Hi Deanne and Terry,
I want to see David too and I was really bummed that we couldn't. My DH said hey lets go a few days early. So we are planning on arriving in Rome on Monday and going to Florence via train on Tuesday for a day excursion. So in Livorno if we go early to Florence I think a wine tour is on our agenda. We haven't picked a hotel yet but I think we want something downtown in the heart of the action not far from Termini. I am excited for Pompeii as wellAnna
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Downtown LB & Temecula, CA
2,848 Posts
Joined May 2005
Deanne + all,

I have not been able to post for about a week! Everytime it kept saying "need to type more than 3 characters" even though I typed a couple of paragraphs!!! Very frustrating!

Anyways, I figured alot of people would be going to Florence for the day. I have read alot of great reviews on both of the tour companies you mentioned also. We are thinking we will be exhausted by then and were thinking about taking a private tour of Tuscany and go to a medieval village and check out the local fare. Also want to get the obligatory picture of Pisa! DH likes one of the CCL tour to a couple of seaside towns, but I really dislike cruise line tours! We are still gathering info on all the ports.

We are going to be trying to book our airfare with miles and hopefully arriving in Rome by Tuesday morning. We have reservations for a B & B near the coliseum. Our first choice was already booked!

It will be here before we know it.

Janis
South Jersey
4,588 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Hi Janis,
Looks like we're all waiting to see what's available when that 331 day time frame appears.
Does anyone know if you can book the first leg of the trip or put a hold on it until the final leg comes out?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,848 Posts
Joined May 2005
Terry,

DH says United told him that we need to call back when we are 331 days away from our return date. Since we are requesting round trip tix, LAX to FCO, we will just do it in one phone call so they don't get confused and mess it up.

Janis
212 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Hi Everyone,
My husband Ernie and I were also booked on the Liberty and have just rebooked on the Dream. We were originally booked on the Oct 25th sailing.
We have just returned from the October 25th 2008 Freedom sailing of the Eastern Mediterranean and had a wonderful time!!! We did a couple of the same ports as the Dream will be doing so if anyone has any questions I will be glad to help. I got so much information from the Freedom board, that I would love to share. We like to do tours on our own and hardly ever book things through the boat. Carnivals European Excursions are very expensive. On the Freedom we did Pompeii on our own in Naples and Florence on the train from Livorno. We had no troubles with the train and it is much much cheaper than booking through the boat. We had also considered doing Cinque Terre while in Livorno but it was the only rainy day we had on the cruise so decided against it. We also took the train into Rome from Civitavecchia with no problem. We spent two days in Rome before the Cruise. It is a truely fascinating city!! We had fantastic weather with highs in the 70's and sun every day but one. I had expected it to be cooler and so brought all long sleeved shirts which was a mistake, but I am not complaining. The only down side to the trip, everyone please be aware that pick pockets are rampent in Italy. My husband caught two attempts, one on the Rome subway and one in the bus in Naples. A money belt is a must!!! Also they tried to take my cousin's gold bracelet so don't wear any good jewelry. Overall though, it was a fabulous trip. Will post again soon.
Diane
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Destiny (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/1999
Norway (NCL) E. Caribbean 10/2000
Carnival Triumph (Carnival) W. Caribbean 12/2001
Carnival Pride (Carnival) W. Caribbean 12/2002
Grand Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 4/2003
Navigator of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 9/2003
Golden Princess (Princess) S. Caribbean 10/2004
Constellation (Celebrity) S. Caribbean 4/2005
Carnival Glory (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/2005
Mediterranea (Costa) E. Caribbean 11/2005
Explorer of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 1/2006
Mariner of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 9/2006
Star Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 1/2007
Coral Princess (Princess) Alaska 5/2007
Yangtze Paradise (President Cruises) China 9/2007
Grand Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 1/2008
Vision of the Seas (RCCL) Mexican Riviera 3/2008
Mariner of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 9/2008
Carnival Freedom (Carnival) E. Mediterranean 10/2008
Caribbean Princess (Princess) S. Caribbean 3/2009
Carnival Dream (Carnival) W. Mediterranean 10/2009
Crown Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 12/2009
Caribbean Princess (Princess) S. Caribbean 4/2010
MS Rossia (Grand Circle) Russian River Cruise 6/2010
Crown Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 11/2010
Carnival Valor (Carnival) W. Caribbean 1/2011
Emerald Princess (Princess) S. Caribbean 4/2011
Carnival Valor (Carnival) W. Caribbean 11/2011
Carnival Glory (Carnival) W. Caribbean 4/2012
Carnival Liberty (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/2012
Carnival Glory (Carnival) W. Caribbean 12/2012
Navigator of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 3/2013
Carnival Liberty (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/2013
Carnival Glory (Carnival) W. Caribbean 1/2014
Caribbean Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 3/2014
Carnival Conquest (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/2014
Caribbean Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 10/2014
Carnival Splendor (Carnival) E. Caribbean 10/2014
212 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Someone asked about Iberia
We flew them to and from the freedom. We thought their service was very good and we got two meals on each transatlantic. Their planes seemed new and well maintained. The only comment is that we changed planes in Madrid each way. The airport is new and very clean but a nightmare to negotiate. Allow at least 30 minutes to get between gates. You also have to go out through customs and back in to fly the International portion. Warning- do not make any tight connections!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Destiny (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/1999
Norway (NCL) E. Caribbean 10/2000
Carnival Triumph (Carnival) W. Caribbean 12/2001
Carnival Pride (Carnival) W. Caribbean 12/2002
Grand Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 4/2003
Navigator of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 9/2003
Golden Princess (Princess) S. Caribbean 10/2004
Constellation (Celebrity) S. Caribbean 4/2005
Carnival Glory (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/2005
Mediterranea (Costa) E. Caribbean 11/2005
Explorer of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 1/2006
Mariner of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 9/2006
Star Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 1/2007
Coral Princess (Princess) Alaska 5/2007
Yangtze Paradise (President Cruises) China 9/2007
Grand Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 1/2008
Vision of the Seas (RCCL) Mexican Riviera 3/2008
Mariner of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 9/2008
Carnival Freedom (Carnival) E. Mediterranean 10/2008
Caribbean Princess (Princess) S. Caribbean 3/2009
Carnival Dream (Carnival) W. Mediterranean 10/2009
Crown Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 12/2009
Caribbean Princess (Princess) S. Caribbean 4/2010
MS Rossia (Grand Circle) Russian River Cruise 6/2010
Crown Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 11/2010
Carnival Valor (Carnival) W. Caribbean 1/2011
Emerald Princess (Princess) S. Caribbean 4/2011
Carnival Valor (Carnival) W. Caribbean 11/2011
Carnival Glory (Carnival) W. Caribbean 4/2012
Carnival Liberty (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/2012
Carnival Glory (Carnival) W. Caribbean 12/2012
Navigator of the Seas (RCCL) W. Caribbean 3/2013
Carnival Liberty (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/2013
Carnival Glory (Carnival) W. Caribbean 1/2014
Caribbean Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 3/2014
Carnival Conquest (Carnival) W. Caribbean 9/2014
Caribbean Princess (Princess) W. Caribbean 10/2014
Carnival Splendor (Carnival) E. Caribbean 10/2014
Michigan
1,214 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Hi Diane and Welcome!
Thanks for the information on Iberia. We are thinking of using FF miles through Delta or American, but if we can't we may be flying Iberia. Thanks for the tip on the money belt too. We've had some experience with Rome's subways, someone tried to take my Dh's camera but he grabbed it just in time. I read about the pickpockets before we went to Rome the last time, and I was a little nervous going there, but when we were in Rome we tried to be careful and we just had a great time. But I think you're right about the money belt.

We are very anxious to see this new ship. I don't think I've been on a ship that new. As someone else stated, we hope they've got all the kinks worked out by the time we sail!!

Terry, Janis and Anna, You probably already know this but, I was excited when I saw there were trains to Rome to Florence about every half hour. The Eurostars only take about an hour and a half to get there. Has anyone sent for their tickets to the Academia?

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. The company where my Dh works is cutting back. We find out Thursday if my DH will have a job. It's not so bad for us, he can retire. But my stepson works there too, he has a 3 and 6 year old so I am praying his job will be safe. Thanks, Deanne
2,848 Posts
Joined May 2005
Welcome Diane & Ernie,

Happy to hear you had a great time on your last cruise. It was also encouraging to hear about the nice weather at this time of the year! The last thing I want to do is tour in the pouring rain. It doesn't make for good pictures either. Glad you weren't a victim of those nasty pick pockets.

Thanks for the information. I would love to hear more about your port day of Naples. Did you take the train to Pompeii? Also, did you do a review of your trip or do you have any pictures to share?

Janis
South Jersey
4,588 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Welcome Diane.
Our group is expanding. Maybe tomorrow I'll try making up a list of everyone so far. We can then try to keep everyone straight. I'll be home from work(school) tomorrow since I just got back from the doctor's with a miserable sinus infection. Nice to know Iberia is good. We're also going to try to get our flights with FF miles. I figure we'll be flexible with dates.

Definitely planning on taking a day trip to Florence from Rome. I don't think you can get the Academia tickets yet though.
Deanne,We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. The economy is certainly wrecking havoc with many people's lives. This cruise is Tom's and my retirement present to ourselves so that should be two jobs available to some newcomers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Wyoming
142 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Hi Everyone,
Sounds like plans are starting to shape up. We were going to go to Florence from Rome but just decided there wasn't enough time to see everything so David will have to wait for another time. We plan on leaving Denver on Monday, Oct 12th and arriving in Rome Tuesday afternoon probably with Lufthansa. Booked our room today for those two nights Thanks for the heads up on all of the pick pocketing. We purchased a pacsafe purse for just that reason and hopefully we will be okay with that and paying attention. Glad to know the weather will most likely be pretty decent.

Deanne I am sorry to say that the economy is wrecking havoc on everyone. I work in a brokerage firm and it so sad to see some clients retirement funds go down everyday, including mine but at least I have time to ride out the wave. I will think of you and your family and hope that everything turns out okay. Because of this darn economy that is why I opted to take on a part time job in the evenings for 16 hours a week because my husband works for a small company and I fear that one day he will not have employment but if everything goes smoothly then I will have extra spending money for Europe

Anna
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
South Jersey
4,588 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Here is what I have so far for those sailing on our Mediterranean Dream:

mom23guys Tom and Terry celebrating retirement
patrick moran Patrick and Anne
Deanne Willis Deanne and Joe
wyomingirl Anna and Nick
nick usaf Nick and Joanne 50th anniversary
BIL & SIL joining the celebration
luvcdays Janis and Dick 30th anniversary
ehogan
dlbutlers Dave and Barbara + B2B with TA
Valentine
The Commodore Tom and Maureen (onetrufan)
diane52 Diane and Ernie

Not sure about:
barb61s started this thread
Liney1982 Liney and BF said they switched over from Liberty
srpilo Peter and Silvia ?

Hopefully I haven't missed anything but I have quite a headache.
Terry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Palm Bay Florida
283 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Hi All: Just learned today that the Liberty was cancelled! Email must have gone to the spam mailbox. Carnival honored our Liberty price and gave us an additional $50.00 OBC. Even gave us the same airfare and after checking, it looks like it went up a couple hundred dollars each for new bookings. Thanks everyone for paving the way and coaxing Carnival to do the right thing. We look forward to meeting all of you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cathy and Steve
10-14-18 Mississippi Steamboat
12-02-18 Regal Princess
12-09-18 Regal Princess
04-09-19 Golden Princess

12-04-19 Sky Princess
12-07-19 Sky Princess
Plus 53 completed cruises