Bringing a 16 month old on Oasis - any tips?

WarEagleLady

Hello, everyone!

We are so excited to bring DD on her very first cruise - especially the Oasis! We are over the moon and can't wait for December 30th to be here! Does anyone have any tips on how to make this an (even more) enjoyable time? I already have magnetic hooks and a shower curtain waiting on an Amazon wishlist :) Also - how is milk handled on the cruise? Is there any way to warm it for her nighttime sippy?

Any info/advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

Hey there! I am going to follow this post because we just booked Oasis - LO will be just over 2. Can you explain this whole magnetic hook thing to me? Is it just so the little one can’t look over and get distracted from sleeping? (We had this issue at Disney one day when our daughter realized at 3am that we were in the same room as her. We heard, “Hi..... hi!!!! Hiiiiiiii!!” Lol. :)

We took our son on the Allure when he was 13 months old, his second cruise.

- If you will be using the toy sharing program, make sure to go check some out as early as possible in the cruise as they only have a limited amount of toys.

- Whatever amount of things you’re planning on bringing, cut the amount in half (except for diapers!)

- Do take advantage of the Royal Babies and Tots Program, even if it’s for an extra charge. As wonderful as it will be to spend time with your daughter, trust me, you will want to have some alone adult time. And I’m referring to time to enjoy the countless activities throughout the ship that you can’t really enjoy with a toddler in tow. Even if you take 2 hours at night to go with your spouse to the solarium, reconnect, and relax in blissful quiet, it will be absolutely worth it.

- I’m sure someone will recommend bringing an inflatable tub for your cabin. Don’t bother. Worst piece of advice we’ve ever followed Cruise Critic. All it did for us was occupy unnecessary space in our stateroom. Just get your child used to taking showers with a handheld showerhead before you go on the cruise.

You have selected a great cruise ship for your child’s first cruise. Very few ships offer as much as Oasis class ships offer for children that young. In addition to the Royal Babies and Tots program, the water park section for babies and toddlers still in diapers is wonderful and not found on most cruise ships of any cruise line. Enjoy every moment, but once again, allow yourself time to enjoy some adult time as well! Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey there! I am going to follow this post because we just booked Oasis - LO will be just over 2. Can you explain this whole magnetic hook thing to me? Is it just so the little one can’t look over and get distracted from sleeping? (We had this issue at Disney one day when our daughter realized at 3am that we were in the same room as her. We heard, “Hi..... hi!!!! Hiiiiiiii!!” Lol. :)

Lol! That sounds like something ours would do :)

It is actually a tip I read on here to create their own space, especially if they are used to their own room! Since the ceilings are magnetic, you would hang the hooks from the ceiling with a dark shower curtain to separate! (I found these on amazon, so I imagine they would work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07558BHG3/coliid=IWTMIMXFF5YI7&colid=3P1U4VH7T7HD9&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)

I hope you and I get some great tips!

We took our son on the Allure when he was 13 months old, his second cruise.

- If you will be using the toy sharing program, make sure to go check some out as early as possible in the cruise as they only have a limited amount of toys.

- Whatever amount of things you’re planning on bringing, cut the amount in half (except for diapers!)

- Do take advantage of the Royal Babies and Tots Program, even if it’s for an extra charge. As wonderful as it will be to spend time with your daughter, trust me, you will want to have some alone adult time. And I’m referring to time to enjoy the countless activities throughout the ship that you can’t really enjoy with a toddler in tow. Even if you take 2 hours at night to go with your spouse to the solarium, reconnect, and relax in blissful quiet, it will be absolutely worth it.

- I’m sure someone will recommend bringing an inflatable tub for your cabin. Don’t bother. Worst piece of advice we’ve ever followed Cruise Critic. All it did for us was occupy unnecessary space in our stateroom. Just get your child used to taking showers with a handheld showerhead before you go on the cruise.

THANK YOU for these! Yeah, I have seen the inflatable tub tips - good to know! It is perfect that they have the nursery and the toy sharing program - we will definitely be utilizing both! If you don't mind me asking, how did you handle bottles/sippy cups for him? Is milk readily available or should we explore the possibility of a can of toddler formula for the week?

I love the shower curtain tip! I will definitely be doing that for my 15 month old in Novemebr on the allure. Is the toy exchange program located where the nursery is? Also do they have cribs in the nursery for little ones to nap or sleep if past bedtime ? What time blocks can you reserve in advance? Any tips on how to pick the times?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you handle bottles/sippy cups for him? Is milk readily available or should we explore the possibility of a can of toddler formula for the week?

Thankfully, our son was past the age of formula or breast milk when we sailed on the Allure. We’d get little cartons of milk from the buffet or order them via room service. It’s worth noting that back then there was no charge for room service but now there is.

About sippy cups, we brought some as well as a small bottle of liquid dishwashing detergent. We’d wash the sippy cups in our stateroom sink in hot water and then let them air dry. A bit of a hassle and probably not the most hygienic, but it did the trick and our son lived to tell. [emoji23]

We’d taken another cruise a few months prior (on Carnival) and that cruise was more of a nightmare and a definite learning experience. At that time, our son was still on a combination of formula and breast milk and the logistics were not as easy, since we were more cautious about keeping things sterile and using purified water since he wasn’t quite one year old yet and would easily get sick. It’s amazing what a difference a few months made in his immune system.

In addition to that, he wasn’t quite walking yet (he could stand but not walk) which hindered our mobility. Also, Carnival does not offer any type of program for children under the age of 2, and it also lacks any pools or splash zones for kids still in diapers which meant that we were together 24/7 with no breaks and looking for ways to entertain him that didn’t involve pools. Had we considered the impact that not having these amenities would have on our enjoyment, we would’ve probably waited to sail on Carnival until he was old enough to go to the kids club and be potty trained.

That’s why I say that you’ve done an excellent job selecting the Oasis for your daughter’s first cruise. They truly cater to passengers of ALL ages and their offerings for the youngest cruisers will truly make your cruise that much more enjoyable!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the shower curtain tip! I will definitely be doing that for my 15 month old in Novemebr on the allure. Is the toy exchange program located where the nursery is? Also do they have cribs in the nursery for little ones to nap or sleep if past bedtime ? What time blocks can you reserve in advance? Any tips on how to pick the times?

Happy to pass it along! Let me know it works out since you are sailing before us. As to the Royal Babies and Tots, I know for sure that they have cribs and pack n plays available! I have heard you can reserve up to 16 hours when you board, then more down the line on the cruise. DH and I have been discussing how to do it time wise, but we think that we are going to switch off and keep her in there in either the afternoon or after dinner for 2-3 hours. So day 1 would be evening, day two would be afternoon, etc.. It is so hard not knowing the schedule before hand! That is just our plan of attack to get some adult time.